Blackrocksrock

Do any of you have a polytunnel

I haven't got a polytunnel :( . I have been looking here this week www.highlandpolytunnels.co.uk

They are based in Inverness so you would think their tunnels would be robust :D

My plastic greenhouse has a similar plastic to polytunnels. The door blew off in the wind this week but has not ripped :D It is two years old and has survived endless gales :D Last year I grew in it, 3 tomato plants, 2 cucumber plants, 1 aubergine plant, 1 chilli pepper plant and 2 sweet pepper plants, plus lots of veggie seedlings. the greenhouse measures 4 foot by 4 foot. the greenhouse came from a company called norfolk greenhouses.

Ali I have looked at that website and would like to visit it but I am not sure if they encourage visitors - I have an 8 x 8 greenhouse but being wooden (aluminium just gets blown away up here as we are very high up) its wooden half way down so cannot put plants on the ground. At least it does not move about like the alu greenhouse did.

i bought one of e-bay a while ago its 10ft by 6ft 6. hubbie has been going on about one for ages but now he has decided it will look terrible from the house so i am going to have to sell it and i havent even opened it.

its this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Large-Greenhouse-Polytunnel-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ200196440057QQihZ010QQcategoryZ42153QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i thought it would also be great to keep the chooks off because they ate all my lettice last year.

i bought one of e-bay a while ago its 10ft by 6ft 6. hubbie has been going on about one for ages but now he has decided it will look terrible from the house so i am going to have to sell it and i havent even opened it.

its this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Large-Greenhouse-Polytunnel-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ200196440057QQihZ010QQcategoryZ42153QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i thought it would also be great to keep the chooks off because they ate all my lettice last year.

Thats a shame as it would grow loads - I have a large garden and can put it where it really cannot cause offence and there is a field to both sides so no problems. It looks ok

I don't know about being nudged....... more like walloped with a big stick :lol:

We used to have a 10' x 8' polytunnel from Citadel (which is local to us) and we grew loads in it - mostly tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers/chillies. It's amazing how much you can get in a small space!

now we have more room, we've invested in a Keder Greenhouse which is like a cross between a polytunnel and a greenhouse. We had been looking on them online and then when we went to the Omlet get-together at Ryton Organic Gardens, they had one there.

We have a 4m x10m Grower version and are constructing raised beds inside. At the moment, we just have salad leaves in it. It has stood up to all the gales.

This also comes from not far away from us but they install a lot in Shetland and the Scottish Isles.

www.kedergreenhouse.co.uk

I meant to mention that Susan - I told him people would prefer to see a price.

The price includes installation, and after installing the small polytunnel oursleves and finding the polythene bit a bit of a nightmare to do and make it look decent, we really wanted a Company which installed their own product. Some of the others suppliers will just give you a list of contractors.

The quote we had for the small greenhouse (we were going to have the large one and a small one) seemed fairly expensive - but we are really pleased with the quality and the installation.

I have one - it came with the house....

As we only moved in October, I'm still experimenting with it... popped in a few old broad bean seeds I found in November and they've sprouted most pleasingly, but I'm planning to use it for tomatoes, peppers, chillis, peas and beans (as we have a deer problem here and they love peas more than I do)

I've got a Kedder green house which is a posh poly tunel really, but was designed for use on the falkland islands where the wind destroyed greenhouses & poly tunels, mine is big & much cheaper than a glasshouse of the same size but more robust than a poly tunnel. it is my first year & I have 2 raised beds & a 4 tire rack and sacks for potatoes.i have shallots garlic broad beans peas strawberries in hanging baskets, herbs salads nasturtians, I planing to fill 2 outside rasied beds with plants started inside, I;m not too sure how it will go because I've not done anyting on this scale before

We have a polytunnel. I am not the gardener but hubby loves it. He grows tomatoes, peppers, salad leaves, cucumbers, chillies, etc. and starts his seeds off in there when the greenhouse is full. we have put a decorative fence in front of the polytunnel so that it looks better from the house.

Thanks, I've bookmarked the Keder website. I think DH is as keen as I am to get a bigger garden at some point, so we don't have to go to an allotment some distance away in order to grow veg. Won't be for a year or two at least, but something to look forward to whilst practicing our veg-growing skills :)

I have been thinking about getting a Keder since I saw one at Ryton last year, so it's good to hear of people who have one and are pleased with it. They looked robust and are insulated (they use stuff which is like extra strong bubblewrap).

The thing that has made me hesitate is the price (I agree it's annoying the website doesn't show it, I had to send for the brochure). In October, the cheapest was £849 for a 2x2 metre, £1100 for 2x4metre, £1265 for a 3x4metre. Lots of other options and prices. But I don't know how that compares with a resonable quality glass one. :think:

Milly