Ana's flock

International Omlet Forum?

Following from the threads on TXTSPK (text speak), grammer & espelin (grammar and spelling) :wall: I just thought it would be interesting to see how many different nationalities we have in the forum... (Could be useful if someone needs and translating/help at some point, say for holiday homes, thinking of moving abroad, whatever... or just for curiosity!)

Shall I start?

Valencia (Spain) - (Can cook a proper paella :dance: and hate bullfighting :evil: )

There are quite a few different nationalities on the forum Ana.

I'm half Italian and a quarter scottish (don't hold it against me). I used to be bilingual, but that slipped when my grandparents died. I can inderstand and speak some Italian, French and Spanish (and tiny bit of arabic).

I think there's someone Swedish on here and Ziggy is from Holland I think.

Ziggy is from Holland I think.

Close, close... just wee bit south...

I'm from Belgium... though that was a long time ago, I've lived in Scotland and England for the last 14 years...

I speak French, understand Dutch (couldn't speak it with a gun to my head, though I have a university degree in Dutch, but have never really spoken it), English (obviously), a tiny bit of spanish, and a fraction of a tiny bit of Arabic...

Just for the anecdote, once at work I was asked to deal on the phone with a dutch speaking customer... I panicked, prepared what I was going to say, then called said customer and said in Dutch 'I'm sorry my Dutch is very bad, I can't speak much, but if you tell me what it is you require I can understand what you say and I'll do my best to help' or something like that... but as I'd had time to think and prepare the sentence, and wrote it down to read from while on the phone, I delivered the whole thing in nearly perfect dutch... which left the customer rather confused!!!!

I'm part German according to my Dad, but haven't spoken it since school ( a while ago now). I do speak pretty good french though and I'm currently learning spanish.

I live firmly in the UK, but am planning a escape to the French Alps at some point. Would that be too cold for chickens?

I am so impressed with the command of English of those of you who weren't born here - I would never have guessed that you weren't a native speaker, Ziggy, or Ana!

I'm Anglo-Saxon through and through, no exotic forebears. I used to speak French pretty well but since I stopped studying it 20+ years ago it's all gone. I have got the distinction of a CSE in Esperanto, though!

Distinction in Esperanto! WOW! I bet you speak it like a native! :wink:

I used to be fluent in French (started learning it when I was 7), but it's gone rather rusty... :oops: had a few lessons in Russian and Italian, but both teachers decided to return to their countries after a couple of months... (were we that awful as students? :shock:) I tried German but gave up, the grammar was far too complicated and I did have a lot on my plate at the time.

I do admire people who can speak several languages fluently and without an accent. Dutch people are particularly good at this. Every Dutch person I've come across speaks at least 2 other languages... and their English is perfect!

I don't know any Belgians (Ziggy, you are the first!) - How many languages do they teach you at school? When I was growing up in Spain French was compulsory for over 10s. Now they've changed to English - I learnt a little English through private lessons, but mainly by living in the UK, watching TV, reading... etc.

I am fluent in Japenese, Mandarin and Swahili, sorry that should be Mapenese, Sandarin and Jwahile every Friday night :lol::lol:

I am quite ashamed that I cannot speak another language, unless being able to declare that 'I am afraid my dog has a broken leg' counts or 'Could you direct me to the nearest tram stop'. :D

I did my German aural exam entirely in English with an Allo, Allo style German accent.

I always make an effort on holiday though rather than just shouting at the locals and pointing, I find they are much more helpful that way :wink:

Kev.

I always make an effort on holiday though rather than just shouting at the locals and pointing, I find they are much more helpful that way :wink:

Kev.

Isn't that the way we all start? :lol::lol::lol:

I'm off to see some friends who haven't got any chickens (yet :twisted: ) and in about an hour I'll be practising my Swapanaserin, probably with a Gutagertaliench accent. :wink:

I have got the distinction of a CSE in Esperanto, though!

Fantastic! My father is a big fan of Esperanto (fluent for over 30 years) - I think that it is a great idea, however shame in never really became popular :? I remember just a few words from when I was a kid and he was playing games with us in Esperanto :wink:

Anyway, I can help with Czech (since I am native) if anybody needs :wink: Also, I can speak basic Swedish, Russian and understand Slovak :wink:

Im a hybrid :D - half Yorkshire, half Lancashire!

When did the war of the roses end and will someone tell my parents?! :lol::lol::lol:

Mum says Dad had to go over the border to find a nice girl like her! :roll:

Dad says Mum was working in a pub in Lancashire on the look out for a nice lad like him! :roll:

When did the war of the roses end and will someone tell my parents?! :lol::lol::lol:

Dad says Mum was working in a pub in Lancashire on the look out for a nice lad like him! :roll:

The War of the Roses is ongoing at Egluntine Towers too Emma....Him Indoors is a Yorkshireman and I'm a Mancunian.

I sort of had a French grandmother...does that count?

I'm very boringly 7/8 English and 1/8 Irish

OH is a mixture of Scottish, English and Welsh. He grey up in Manchester and has never lived in Scotland. His Grandmother however insists that he is Scottish. Her reasoning was that his Father was born in Scotland and His father's father was born in Scotland ...... so he is Scottish.

She was not terribly amused when OH replied. Oh, OK - Your father was born in England and your father's father was born in England, so that means you're English :lol::lol::lol: (She is very proud of being Welsh!)

My French is better than I think it is when I'm actually in France. I manage fairly well. We went on honeymoon in France and I always rang up and booked B&B in French and told them I didn't eat Meat but I eat fish. When it was all booked though, I checked in English :lol: It makes such a difference if you make an effort. I can't understand people who go and live in a county and deliberately don't learn the language (I realise some women aren't given the option (like in Brick Lane))

Two old French blokes stopped to tell us the way. I asked and got the instructions in French, then when they learned we were English the shouted "Vive La Bobby Charlton! " :lol: I still have the image in my mind. They were like the French version of Last of the Summer Wine!

The War of the Roses is ongoing at Egluntine Towers too Emma....Him Indoors is a Yorkshireman and I'm a Mancunian.

So Egluntine - who crossed the border to find who?? :lol::lol::lol:

I was actually born in Lancashire which my mother was disgusted at but she had no choice! :roll: (Dad was rubbing his hands!) :lol:

Mum is plotting for me to have Bean up north in Yorkshire as if Bean is a boy she would like him to play cricket for the county - parents eh?! :roll::lol:

I was born in England to an Australian mother and a Swiss father then adopted by a Scottish/Welsh father (who was born in Japan) and an English mother.

I class myself as Scottish, purely because I've never lived in England (apart from a couple of summer jobs!).

Learnt Latin, French, German & Spanish at school and Italian at Uni. The only one I can speak to any extent is French. The family were very impressed a few years ago when we got a wrong number in our French holiday home and I managed to hold a conversation with them! (Can't guarantee the woman understood a word I said :oops: .)

So Egluntine - who crossed the border to find who?? :lol::lol::lol:

I was actually born in Lancashire which my mother was disgusted at but she had no choice! :roll: (Dad was rubbing his hands!) :lol:

Mum is plotting for me to have Bean up north in Yorkshire as if Bean is a boy she would like him to play cricket for the county - parents eh?! :roll::lol:

Oh my word! That rings a bell!!

We lived in near Cambridge when child no 1 was born....but there was some very serious mutterings between FIL and Him Indoors about me decamping and moving to God's Own County to have the baby so that he could open the batting for Yorkshire!!

"He" was a girl I am delighted to report so that put paid to that.

However, both boys were born in Yorkshire and have shown no inclinations in that direction.