jomaxsmith

Fox attacks - a list of what happened?

thank you, I have been crying constantly with guilt as feel we let them down so, we only resuced them in August and thought we had done all we could until Mr Fox just lets himself in.

I am totally obsessed with foxes at the moment and am becoming a total bore on the subject!

Another close shave :shock:

At around 5:00pm today, Priscilla started making a racket so I went outside to see what was wrong. At first I din't see the fox at the end of the garden, but when I did I immediately ushered them inside the house and ran up the garden to chase the wretched thing away :evil:

I can't believe it... 5:00pm, in broad daylight :( . I think I'm going to have to buy a run extension so I can put them in the run earlier without feeling gulity about keeping them cooped up.

Lost Mei-Mei to a grey fox, about 5pm. We have 4 hens, they were freeranging in the small garden we have. Normally, I dont leave them alone ever and only let them out if I'm going to be there, but my wife was on watch and had come in for literally 5 minutes. As soon as I went out, the largest of the lot was making a racket, and one of our babies was collapsed on the ground, dead. The fox had bitten her then taking off when I screamed at it.

Perhaps I should have been more cautious that day - we found muddy pawprints of what I thought might be the neighbours cat on the roof of the eglu that morning. Entirely our own fault - the Eglu remained completely foxproof while they were actually in it!

Eglu Cube: (*cube green)

- Xiao Xiao G*NR

- Mei Mei G*NR (RIP 22nd October)

- Chan Chan P*P

- Pan Pan P*P

I had 2 quails taken and one killed for the sake of it in the early hours of the morning. they were in a rabbit hutch with a metal run pegged into the ground

The next attack happened at dusk. My hens were just going into their eglu. They were free range but always returned to the run at dusk. I have 2 dogs and 3 boys/ men in the house who have no problem with scent marking the garden. Problem is we went away and took the dogs with us. My daughters were in charge of making sure they were away promptly. The fox got them on their way to bed. My daughter disturbed it but he got away with one of my Gingernuts. One was badly injured but saved by the emergency vets. Another died a few days later. My silkie who I have raised from a 3 week old survived because she likes to go to bed early. I am now eagerly awaiting my 2 new hens and walk in run from omelet. Don't want to go through all that again. :cry:

Our 3 girls had an encounter with a fox today at about noon. Thankfully my wife was in the garden and heard a kerfuffle, so she headed down to where the girls were free ranging and a fox had managed to sneak through a gap in our neighbours' gate and was grappling with the rear end of our Dolly. The fox fled as soon as it saw my wife. Our other two girls had managed to run away to the other end of their run and were fine, but Dolly had lost quite a few tail feathers and had a tiny wound at the top of one of her legs. She's been very traumatised since and not eaten or drunk anything we don't think. We gave her some treats but she just ignored them and kept closing her eyes. The other two put themselves to bed early this evening but Dolly was still stood there in the run looking dazed so I had to pop her in the Eglu myself. We're really worried now and want to check on her but figure the trauma of opening up their Elgu to take a look at her would just be too much. Hopefully we'll have a happier Dolly in the morning xfingers.gif

Sounds just like what happened to my maisy. If she has puncture wounds she will probably need antibiotics. My pamela did and she survived. However poor maisy died 3 days later. Try mixing her food with some cod liver oil they seem to really like that also I find chicken vitamins and tonics are really good. Fingers crossed. Good luck GNRPP

Sounds just like what happened to my maisy. If she has puncture wounds she will probably need antibiotics. My pamela did and she survived. However poor maisy died 3 days later. Try mixing her food with some cod liver oil they seem to really like that also I find chicken vitamins and tonics are really good. Fingers crossed. Good luck GNRPP

Thanks Sonya but unfortunately she didn't make it through the night. RIP Dolly :(

Sadly lost one of our girls tonight, and my neighbours lost one of their girls.

We are in an urbanm area, and I have occasionally seen a fox about.

No Fox deterrants, but we tended not to let the girsl out unless we were around. Now I think we will ahve to be more stringent.

It was 4 pm, so still light, and the fox managed to scrabble at the back door of the Eglu go, so the door came away.

Girls were therefore accessible to the fox. Our other - Blondoe seemd to be unscathed.

She was such a cute girls, and I am now worried that Blondie will be pretty lonely. Haven't dared check into the Eglu to see how she is - thought she would need some peace and quiet to recover. My dear neighbourt has put up soem bamboo canes to try and keep the door closed - hope it works.

I really feel Omlet should be addressing this problem and maybe putting out a fix.!

And maybe a press release for those that have bought second hand go's as those that have bought new can be contacted.

It is also very easy to NOT shut the go rear door properly, thereby making it easier still for a Fox.

This is soo so sad, sorry for your loss. :(

Thanks for the support. Blondie has been very quiet, quite bright eyed, and pecking, (and laying bless her!) but I have noticed she has a limp. I can't see any injury, and wonder if she strained soemthing in the kerfuffle with the fox.

Am doing the TLC..warm porridge and sweetcorn (her favourite), but I think the main probelm is that she is a bit lonely. Have had some advice from Tom at Omlet about the need to get another chook...but would not want to do that 'til she is feeling stronger.

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your girl :(

I had a lone girl due to her two companions becoming ill and being pts within a few days of each other. I was advised to get her a couple of POL hens as company. I was a bit concerned that Jemima's feathers would be a bit ruffled by new arrivals so soon after the loss of her friends, she was also top chick of the flock and I didn't want her nose being put of joint, so to speak. I was advised that youngsters would automatically accept her as top chick as she was older. She gave them a couple of pecks on the head, they squeaked and submitted and that was it. Jemima was still top girl but she had company again. She was only on her own from Tuesday afternoon till Friday afternoon but I noticed a real change in her in that short space of time. She was normally very confident but she seemed very nervous by any noises, even ones she knew. I guess she felt very vulnerable on her own.

I guess Blondie is still quite anxious about what happened and she may feel more confident with another friend or two. I hope her leg heals quickly. Let us know how you get on.

fox came to me just before xmas!! was a really wet day didnt really come light hens were fine step son put them to bed and by morning only feathers left. think he didnt shut there run door but no feathers inside just all over garden. just got some more hybrids to go with 2 bantam marrans i got given to me as my grandad to poorly to look after them. im now in charge of the hens day and night!!

Hi i think a fox attacked one of my girls, but some how only got hold of her though the bars she has now only got one wing i think the fox was unable to pull her through. She was attacked at about 4am and because it is light she had got up early. I am now trying to nurse her back to health, she is eating and drinking but not sure if she will be ok. on that same morning the fox had killed 8 other hens across the road but not taken any with it but just left them in the coop.

Any helpful tips on my girl please :cry: poor Ruby

Hello.

We have kept chickens for two and half years and have never had an attack. However, recently... we have had two attacks in the last two weeks from the same fox.

We have a wooden Ark type house. First time (about two weeks ago) the fox got them through using the nesting box. The lock on the nesting box roof had become loose and he just used his nose to push up the flap and help himself. He killed three of the girls and just left them in the garden, didn't even make dinner out of them. It happened over night and we discovered them in the morning so Im not sure what time.

Then last night at about 11pm, my neighbour knocked on the door to say he saw the fox go over the fence. We thought the house was now fox proof as we had bough extra locks/bolts and ensured they were all working and secure. However, the house is designed to have removable slats in the bottom of the nesting box floor (for easy cleaning I guess). The fox managed to push the floor of the nesting box through and killed at least one of the girls. We chased him off and he came back 10mins later... he is very determined! We re-inforced the floor last night but I wanted to warn people with the same house to nail the removable slats down! They are not fox-proof!

This is the house we have got:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Imperial-Chicken-Coop-Poultry-Rabbit/dp/B004NP3N7A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338703037&sr=8-2

I am unsure if any of the other girls are injured. I have just gone out to to feed them and let them out into the run and I heard shuffling about and light clucking so I know at least one is alive. However, they wont come out the house... obviously scared stiff poor things! Im going to give them a few hours and then go and see if I can coax the remaining chooks out.

I'll let you know how we get on :(

Lu x

At this time of year, every chicken keeper must be extra vigilant. Unfortunately for our girls, it's the nature of the beast. Poultry and rabbit are their favourite food and they are after all only mothers (and fathers) trying to feed their young.

So sorry for everyones loss :( x.

Hi All! Just thought I would give you an update on our girls. The fox killed one on Friday night and the remaining three were all very shocked. We lost another one the next day (through the stress of it I think). However, we have been nursing the other two back to health. One is doing really well. She is on her feet and eating and drinking (she was actually buried by the fox and was playing dead, bless her). The other one is still not right though. She is eating and drinking but she wont come out of the nesting box and she wont bear any weight on her legs. We have done a health check and she can move them OK so I think it is pure shock and she is a bit numbed by it all. The fact that she is eating and drinking is a good sign though.

We have seen the foxes out every night since the attack. One even defecated next to the house last night so I am now confident they cant get in. I saw one adult and two quite small cubs last night out the front of our house. So I think the juvinile cubs are coming out the den and making their prescence kown.

This time of year they seem to be everywhere here!!

I visited a humane fox deterent website which sugessted using a scare-crow and having a wind up radio set to a talking channel (such as radio 4) left in the garden somewhere so the fox thinks people are about. I thought these were both really good ideas and will be implementing them over the next few days.

Please be vigilent with your hens and keep an eye out for Mr fox!

Lu xx

In our 4 years of chickenkeeping we have never had a fox attack until this morning. Due to lots of sightings we have had of foxes (we are on the countryside edge of a town) we have never felt we could truelly let our birds freerange so have built a huge walk in run area in one side of the garden (about 28meters squared) where our chickens and turkeys can roam safely. It was also to stop our cats or dogs getting into them.

This morning at just after 7am a young female fox managed to get into the smallest gap imaginable and into the run - we have a "skirt" round the run but one of the fasteners had come off (probably storm damage) and whilst neither us or our animals had notice, the fox had. The hens and my turkey pair put up such a racket that my partner ran out to see what was going on and spotted the fox in the run. I had looked into the run at about 7am and all was well and no sight of the fox then - but a couple of minutes later we had carnage - it happened that fast.

Sadly we lost one of our Faverolles and thought we had lost the last remaining ex-batt we have (who is 5 years 5 months old!). We notice the ex-batt (Agatha)'s eyes flutter and thought we would have to dispatch her - something we have never had to do and it seemed such a terrible end for an ex-batt who has lived to such a good age. When I went to get her though she jumped up shakily and let me pick her up. I have taken the day off work and have been nursing her with Rescue Remedy, Arnica, and Grapefruit Seed Oil. She is clearly very shaken but is still fighting so she may well pull through - I do hope so. The rest of my folk are distraught. The turkeys are very distressed as usually they spot a fox from a distance and shout at it and scare it off, but it was so early in the morning and they, and us, were caught off-guard. Had my partner not reacted so quickly we would have lost them all.

Needless to say the day has been spent checking every millimeter of the run and making secure even the tiniest of holes, but we are now completely paranoid. It was a horrible start to the day and so awful for my children having to go out to school after this had happened. Fingers crossed for Agatha the Red.

Sadly Agatha did not make it - 10 hours after the attack, when she actually seemed to be getting stronger, lots of her feathers fell out and revealed a number of previously concealed wounds. A quick dash to the vet revealed both her lungs had multiple punctures and the vet was baffled that she was still alive. She had to be PTS, but was tranquil - we were all very sad, as was the vet, that an ex-batt who had made it to that age should have her life end in that way.