jomaxsmith

Fox attacks - a list of what happened?

We had a fox attack on christmas night . OH discovered the remains of some of the girls on boxing day but it took a few days to realise that the fox had buried some of them under mud and snow. This fox somehow found it's was over 6ft of wooden fence and 7 of our original girls were killed including pip pip and little red who both sat on my arms every morning in anticipation of food.

Fox had scaled the fence and then gone through a small hole in a stable wall where the girls roost. They had been fine in there in a cube inside the stable for nearly two years and I don know what changed!??

The surviving six girls all roost on old wooden nesting bars high up on a wall , which i guess was just too high for the fox.

The fox had gone into the cube and it was full of feathers. the partition to the nesting box had been dislodged where the fox had pushed is way through to get at pip pip in her private quarters! :cry:

Lesson learned, we are now heightening the fence.

So sad.

hi Karen,

sorry to hear about you fox experience, I too has a visit and he killed my three big girls and a white call duck, I was deverstated, such a horrible thing to happen, but try not to ponder over it and replace your girls soon.

I have brought four ducks, they are sooo cute, and althought I still have my frizzle girls the ducks are so much more entertaining!. If I could work out how to post pics on here I would!.

Why dont you have a look at some call ducks??

Good luck,

marti

I'm pleased to say I've had two fox attacks and still have all 3 of my beauties. Couldn't think of any names so stuck with Blackie (Hebden Black), Ginger (ISA Brown) and Speckledy (you'll never guess). (red eglu) We've got a large garden with easy access and no deterrents (except for the occasional al fresco pee).

The first attack was before they were laying at about 15 weeks old as daylight was just fading in the summer. They were free ranging unsupervised but I was in the kitchen and my partner in the lounge both overlooking the garden. The fox grabbed Ginger and ran 50 metres with Blackie chasing him before he dropped her. I was in the garden by the time the fox turned around and they just ran towards me and he ran off. This turned out to be our big bonding moment :dance:

The next attack was middle of the day in early winter and again they were free ranging unsupervised. Speckledy feathers everywhere but she was sat on the fence. Ginger and Blackie on the roof of our two-storey house, like a pair of weather vanes, where they stayed all night before working out how to get down. :think:

The girls are confined to their run all day because of the weather but will still let them free range supervised in clear daylight or even unsupervised when it gets warm. :shh:

Interestingly, the fox seemed to attack the bottom of the pecking order both times. It was Ginger in the early days, but then Speckledy as she was a late layer.

Also, I've never clipped their wings which I believe (without any scientific evidence, it's just a hunch) helped them escape.

Yes my girls never had their wings clipped - I always felt that if a dog or fox did get into the garden (which would be easy as the fence is only 4 ft high and their is a big gap under the gate etc!!) then they'd have a chance of flying out of harm's way if necessary. If of course they had decided to stray and attack my neighbours' gardens then I would have re-thought my plan, but fortunately they were always content with what they had in my garden! Phew! :D

Don't forget about the badgers, they may eat worms but they prefer chicken, particularly now that farmers are required to remove 'carrion' from their fields.

Always make sure that any of the predators cannot open any of the doors or hinged nest boxes, they aren't stupid as we found out to our great cost.

The other chicken killers are: Mink, stoat, ferret, cats and dogs. Just because you find loads of feathers doesn't mean it is a fox which took your birds, I have seen rats finish off a poorly bird.

I've lost my most precious chicken tonight, found a pile of feathers in the garden. Strangely, yesterday I found a dead fox nearby, so I'm wondering it that was the mother fox and her young are getting desperate for food. The other four girls appeared to be unscathed and had gone to bed in their coop.

They have always free ranged in our garden every day; there are no obvious deterrents for foxes. We've had them just under a year and this is the first attack.

I'm assuming it was a fox but I guess it could have been something else - a neighbour has a naughty dog that often escapes - I just couldn't help thinking it was linked to the dead fox I found.

I'm terrified it's going to come back for the rest. I'm planning on shutting them in their run now but it isn't covered so the fox could in theory leap over the side fencing.

Any tips welcome.

RIP Britney :(

I lost 8 of my 9 girls on Saturday afternoon to a fox.

They have always free-ranged in a day and then I lock them in when they have put themselves to bed.

I have never seen a fox on our road/estate at night, let alone in the day. The majority of my garden is surrounded by 6 foot panels with the odd patch of 3 foot bits.

My next door neighbour has a dog and I have 2 cats.

3 of my girls were omlets and 6 were ex bats. He came in when we had popped out for an hour and completely devastated them. He then hopped over the fence whilst I watched him and promptly sat in next doors garden as bold as brass!!!

RIP my darlings: Madge, Betty, Gladys, Flo, Gertie, Daphne, Hilda and Mildred. Well done Rose for surviving. xxx

We have had our chickens six weeks - we inherited them when we moved in.

We always let them free range in the garden for short periods of time when we are in. We let the girls out on Thursday morning around 10am while we were in the house and in a short space of time a fox came into the garden and killed two by taking off their heads.

The fox attacked my fearless chicken June who fought bravely and sent the fox packing. She suffered horrific injuries and has spent a week at the vets. But she comes home tomorrow!

The chickens only free range when one of us is there with them now watching over them.

RIP Fran and Carole.

About 6.30 pm, not dark and had just been handfeeding them. Jumped 6 ft fence and chased them all relentlessly, killed largest quickly but the other 2 had puncture wounds and were very shocked. Had remaining Miss Pepperpot pts the next day as couldn't stand but atm Scarlettt is making a good recovery.

Sorry for everyones losses..

I lost my girl today, 1:30pm the middle of the day, my girls were FR under no supervision..

Fox came and startled the girls, attacked my turkey, and tried to drag a 18 pound turkey down the fox hole. Cheryl obviously pecked the vermin, and got away. But i have not seen staceydear yet.. no feathers either.. :(

cheryl is bleeding badlly and has minor cuts under her wing, shes looky she hasnt got a leg missing.. Poor thing.

It's taken me since 9 months to post this. 9 months ago I lost my 3 gorgeous girls to a fox.

I had gone away and my friend had been looking after my hens. The day before I return,

a fox managed to get into the run because she had not been able to close the door properly

with the pole that you slide down to secure the run door. She called me in tears as I was

about to set off for home. She was crying and said that the hens had gone.

It wasn't a nice drive home and it wasn't a nice sight. Blood, chicken parts, feathers all over

the place. I don't think I could have chickens again after that

It's taken me since 9 months to post this. 9 months ago I lost my 3 gorgeous girls to a fox.

I had gone away and my friend had been looking after my hens. The day before I return,

a fox managed to get into the run because she had not been able to close the door properly

with the pole that you slide down to secure the run door. She called me in tears as I was

about to set off for home. She was crying and said that the hens had gone.

It wasn't a nice drive home and it wasn't a nice sight. Blood, chicken parts, feathers all over

the place. I don't think I could have chickens again after that

So sorry to hear that raffik. I lost my first two girls exactly the same way, they were being looked after by a friend's son and he had the same problem with the run door pole. I did replace them though, but then lost one girl in a further fox attack just before christmas. At that point I thought I would give up...but others on here persuaded me to have more chickens, and so I added another girl , Pansy. I'm so pleased I did, they are lovely and bring me great joy, and I think I will probably keep chickens forever now :) .

After a fox attack you just have to change the way you think about keeping your girls. I never risk mine free-ranging unsupervised, and in fact I have netted off a smaller part of the garden for them to run in so that they are always in view. I've added a combination padlock to the run door for times we go away now, as there can be no mistakes with that and if nothing else it reminds the chicken sitter to check everything is secure.

I hope you change your mindxx

I have spent a fair bit of time working with foxes and I can guarantee you that human scent (wee!!) in a garden will NOT deter them, so don't bother! The only legal chemical deterrant that I know works is called Renardine. You soak clothes/absorbant material with the Renardine and place at your point of entry for a fox - it can also be painted on a fence (as foxes can easily scale a 6ft fence). That being said, Renardine is washed away (partially) during rain and so must be used long-term to be even a bit effective. Foxes are creatures of habit, but your chucks are most at risk during the late summer when the foxey sub-adults are leaving home and all looking for new territories - around end August/September. Apart from electric fencing or covered runs, there simply are no guarantees. However, the presence of a dog - or even a feisty cat in the household will also be a deterrent.

The fox came to visit us about two weeks ago at 3am. Woken by my ladies noise and saw the fox leave. We have a secure pen with birds houses inside the pen. On inspection, fox had eaten through wired pen and made a hole big enough to get through. One chicken taken from the sleeping houses while the others ran around. One chicken lost and fox tried to pull her through the hole but disturbed by us. Ladies now have loft house of the floor which is locked every night inside a locked, more secure pen.

I lost my beloved Hanna and Chessie a few years ago now but my experience may help others so here goes ...

We had a Mk 1 Eglu (green but I don't think that makes any difference) with an extended run. It was pegged down well. The Eglu was in the center of a large paddock which had electric fencing on all sides (even over the gate). The sides were 4 ft up and there were 2 extra wires making it about 4' 8 from the floor. Inside the paddock were 2 apple trees and a pear tree.

Each evening we would shut the girls into the Eglu run with the Eglu door open (in winter they were put into the Eglu without access to the run so they were snuggly). We felt they were safe.

One night we went out for a meal and, unknown to us, one of the trees had grown and shorted out the fence. As we hadn't "officially" put the girls to bed they were totally vulnerable to the monsters that the lady next door was feeding cat food !

Grrr !

PS Don't expect help from the council as they ARE considered a pest but you only get some school girl offering advice on how to DETUR the foxes not how to kill them :wall:

Hi

I have had lots of chickens taken. About 5 so far taken during the day. Yesterday I only had 2 left and they were both killed, one was taken and one left with no head. This was done during the day, free-ranging unsupervised. Their wings were clipped and now I have no chickens left. I would like to get some more but want to fox proof the area. :(

Fox came round last night just before 5am - not interested in the chickens but has been caught a couple of times hovering round our quail. He turned up and started patting at the wire mesh - I went outside and chased him away, and came back in. Going outside in my PJs has an inevitable effect :oops: and in the time it took me to pop to the loo, he'd come back, and one of our dippy little quail stuck its head through the mesh (which should in theory be impossible) to see what it was. The fox had its head off before we could get back outside. :(

OH has now constructed a fortress outside.