SueChick

Is It Okay for the Eglu Door to Left Open???

Hi. I have started leaving the eglu door open all the time now because I am frantically trying to get my half bald chicken's feathers back after her sister has been helping herself to them. I have started using the foul smelling Ukadex and have put up seed balls and pekka blocks for amusement. I think the pecking must have been going on inside the cube though because I did find the odd feather in there on a couple of occasions and I have never seen it happen in the run ever.

So anyway, I leave the Eglu door open - is this risky with foxes. Is eglu run was fox-proof? Does the skirting around it made it impossible for the foxes to get their noses under and push it up. Has anyone ever had a fox get in because Omlet said there had never been a fox get in to the runs in the history of them selling them?

I really hope I can still leave the door open because I think her feather-loss situation is already getting better.

I don't think a fox has ever got in the run (to my knowledge). But there has been a couple of occasions where chooks have been attacked through the run mesh. I think this is very rare though, and could potentiallly happen with any run, not just the eglu ones.

Alot of people leave the eglu door open so long as the run is secure.

No foxes have ever got into the runs, but a couple of people have had their hens killed by a fox being able to grab the through the mesh.

Why not weigh the run down with boulders?

That is what I do....and so far....so good.

I always leave my Eglu doors open.

I leave my door open all night long, all year round and haven't had a problem. As Egluntine said, a very few people have had their chickens 'got' through the run. I don't think there is any case of a fox actually getting into the run.

I know people who lock the cat-flap and keep their cat in at night, but I've never done that. I think it's one of these things that you have to make a decision on, based on the sort of place where you live and what you perceive the risks to be.

I always leave my door open - even in the winter - as we often go away weekends and we like them to be climatised. They have always been fine. It also means you can have a lie in when you want to - and if you go away people only have to pop in once a day to check on them for you - which makes life easier.

We have had chicks 2 years now and no problems yet

I shut the door, it suits me and suits my chooks (they are noisy) plus if I left the door open I wouldnt sleep at night for worrying about them.

Up to you really, but if you are in a fox area and are worried about foxes then shutting the door might be a good idea.

I leave my eglu door open, without any problems. It allows the girls to get up when they want, which is very early this time of year. I have closed the door a very few times, in the middle of winter, when it was windy in the direction of the eglu opening, but only rarely.

I used to leave my eglu door open all the time and I still would if I could. But my lot started up with 4am wake up calls last Summer and for the neighbours sake I now shut the door at night.

But when I'm on holiday the door stays open 24 hrs (and they neighbours just have to put up with the ocassional noise).

I've got an Eglu with the standard run attached. The run is weighed down at the edged with paving slabs. The door to the Eglu is always left open and I've had no problems at all. The girls can rise & roost when they like and I don't have the worry of going to work only to realise that I forgot to open the door and they're in the dark with no food or water all day.

I guess it's swings and roundabouts, but leaving the door open certainly makes my life much easier and means that when I go away for a weekend little changes for them.

Rog

One of the reasons I bought my cube was so I could leave the door open as away from home the odd night. However actually leaving it open has been a harder decision than I thought and managed about 2 nights in 2.5 months .. nothing to do with cube but I fret all night :oops: Going away for a week soon though and it will be left open 24hrs all week so maybe I'll stay brave when I'm back off hol!

I think its personal choice but I'm happy the run is secure enough to leave the door open, just got to get my "night" brain to believe it!

I also leave the door open all year round. In the winter I close it over with a gap of about an inch and the clever girls have figured out how to push it open in the morning.

Sue

I left my chucks door open for one night when i stayed out the other evening... but i was wanting to start leaving it open all the time... Sue how do you keep the door open a little bit without it shutting... this would be a better option for me, just so i dont worry so to start off :lol:

Yay i sussed out how to keep the door open enough so the chucks push it open , i use a folded up pan scrubber, and wedge it in the top door latch lol. [the first day it wasnt open enough and they just looked out thru the gap getting their nickers in a twist, that is till i let them out.]

They are so much calmer now they can come out when they feel like it, they pooh less in their house to! Plus get more ventilation... even tho they are cleaned out ever other day man does it stink.

Boo for a very sensative nose on my part.

:dance: Thank god! I thought I was being really irresponsible and that I was the only person who ever left their eglu open! My chickens are in a walled garden (6ft min.) and have omlet netting around their eglu and run, had them for 3 years and never had a problem with a fox, and apart from the first month or so they have never been locked up!

Eve

is this leaving the eglu door open and/or the run door open too?

i must admit at the mo the run door is left open too.... high risk but happy hen... :anxious:

all day even when i'm not at home. i close it at night only if i'm there. if away for a night or 2 then i leave the run open too.

is this leaving the eglu door open and/or the run door open too?

i must admit at the mo the run door is left open too.... high risk but happy hen... :anxious:

all day even when i'm not at home. i close it at night only if i'm there. if away for a night or 2 then i leave the run open too.

I only have the eglu door open... the run is only open if im around, never seen a fox about yet but i saw a sparrow hawk take out a pigeon the other day and my chucks are not alot bigger lol

Wow, so pleased to have come across this thread. I have been leaving my eglu door open almost since I got the chickens. I only leave it open enough for them to get in and out. I leave the run door closed until around 8am when I go and see my girls. My initial reason for leaving the door open was so that if they woke early they wouldn't have to wait for me to come and let them out. They seem happy enough. During the day they are in the big netting run but I close them in at night when they've gone up to bed. So glad to hear lots of you leave the door open, I thought I was being lazy and should be up at the crack of dawn to let them out. I've heard foxes about but touch wood.......don't want to tempt fate where my girls are concerned. (cube green)GNR Peggy GNR Gracie PP Patsy PP Freda

hi,

thank god... we are away now and have left the cube door open, so our friends dont have to let them out at crack of dawn.... i was worried they would get into trouble and cold..... ( i know! )

And recieved a call today.... the first 2 eggs where found today...... we waited nearly 5 weeks for an egg.. and they lay when we are away.

We also had all 4 chicks clipped so they would not fly off, surrounded the cube with the eglu netting and they ALL flewover the top into garden,,,, and do it all the time now. Was hoping to keep our 2 year lab away from them but if they keep jumping the net!..

Ours flew out quite alot before they started laying but they don't seem to bother now... not sure if it's coincidence or not?

I leave my eglu door open all the time and the run open all day so they are in the netted area, one of them gets out occasionally but usually by going under rather than over the netting. Also make sure your eglu/cube is not too near the boundary or they use that to launch off...

I used to leave the cube door open cos I didn't want to get up at 7am to let them out. BUT, noisy chooks upsetting neighbours made me shut it. HOWEVER, I forgot just one night and was woken up to squawking, looked out of the window and saw a fox running from one side of the pen to the other, tormenting the hens. Despite letting the dog out he was back 20 mins later and there were feathers everywhere stuck to the bars. So I don't do it anymore. Just be wary of the fox. And blimey I would never leave the run door open, whether or not I'd seen a fox before :shock: That's just a matter of time, surely....... I am convinced that our fox simply strolls by every night just to check that we haven't slipped up and the moment we do, it's curtains for my girls.