Anyone else having trouble with flies around the Eglu? They seem to be happy sat on the top - I don't think it's the smell as it was cleaning day yesterday - soapy wash AND disinfectant spray.

:( :( :( Don't think I can put up with flies all summer as I have a young baby and don't like the thought of them buzzing around her when she is out in the garden.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid or dissuade them from lingering?

I washed mine yesterday and i too noticed small flies settling on the Eglu.I put it down to possibly two things:

a)Its bright orange so maybe it looks like a giant flower.

b)I used lavender scented washing up liquid so maybe the smell attracted them?

If they're really bugging you-get some Eucalyptus oil,put a few drops on a cloth and rub it over the outside.Gnats,flys and bugs cant stand the smell Eucalyptus (think of vicks vapour rub!).

Another option is to plant a Eucalyptus tree in your garden.When i bought this house 9 years ago-for some bizzare reason gnats loved it which made sitting outside a pain so i planted a mere twig of a tree and the gnats never bothered me again.On friday however,i had to cut it down because it developed some rot-it was 4 ft taller than my house and took 3 of us with a chainsaw & ropes to safely bring the beast down! :lol: When kept undercontrol-they're wonderful,but left to their own devices-they are rapid growers.You can however heavly prune them or confine one to a spacious tub if space is an issue.

Also...both of mine vanished.....completely. :?

How bizarre! Do you think a fox took them? (given that they are not averse to the smell of carrion).

I do think that! You are a mind reader!!

And pondering on it further....I'm wondering if they actually attract the fox :?

Ooh err! :shock:

Edited by Guest

I have never seen as many flies perched on the top of my Eglu as I saw yesterday. They are not nasty bluebottles: just small ones that I can't identify. I think they are harmless, and I think it is the colour of the Eglu rather than the poo tray that is attracting them.

We can probably blame it on the odd weather we have been having.

I think they just like a warm surface to land on! We have a Keter storage shed box thingy with a dark green lid (nowhere near the chickens) and there seems to be loads of flies sat on there at times! :roll:

PS great game for small children - when we last went camping I bought the boys a fly swat each (yes I know, tight mother). They provide hours of entertainment for the children having fly swatting competitions 8)

There used to be an Urban Myth around that Yellow Eglus attracted flies.

Can't say that I've noticed.

I used to work for an importer and one thing which we used to bring into the country was hardwood garden parasols.Out of all the colours we distributed to various stores-the yellow one was the least popular because it apparently attracted bee's & wasps.We always had lots of yellow ones left at the end of the year.

Also,if you think about it-wasp traps are always yellow too!

There was quite a few flies buzzing about earlier. After I cleaned the cube I dripped a bit of citronella essential oil around the run and now they seem to have all buzzed off. :lol:

I don't know if it simply masks the smell that is irresistable to flies or they don't like the smell of it but it definately works. I think Tea tree oil has a similar effect.

Kev.

There was quite a few flies buzzing about earlier. After I cleaned the cube I dripped a bit of citronella essential oil around the run and now they seem to have all buzzed off. :lol:

Kev.

Did you drip it within the run or around the outside?

I dripped it around the perimeter on the outside and a few drops in the droppings trays. I think it is a skin irritant used neat so I play it safe.

Kev.

I put a few drops of citronella in a spray bottle of water and spray the inside of the cube and the nesting box with it frequently. The chooks don't seem to mind it and i can't say that we've ever noticed a fly problem.

I also stuck a piece of rag to the inside of my kitchen bin which i regularly douse with citronella, keeps flies and smells away.