xChicken04x

News for you all....

......Well.......the time has come to tell you all :anxious::anxious::anxious:

We're getting a dog!!!!!!! Well actually, she's a puppy! We have reserved a German Shepherd female and we will be picking her up on the 31st May, as she is only 4 weeks at the moment, we will be waiting AGES! We've never had a dog before as we have never had the time to dedicate to one, but now we do :D.

We are having a really hard time deciding on names so I need your help. I've thought of loads of good dog names, but they aren't really appropriate for a German Shepherd. Any Suggestions?

xx

Thank you!

I'm still deciding on names....I quite like Matilda and Sydney. Or Lady after her Mum, well that's just part of her name :? Her actual name is Majors Green First Lady and the Dad is Champion Nikinos Colin. Imagain shouting that at the park :shock:.

I want her name to be different, but not something she will get beaten up by the other dogs for :lol:.

xx

Ooh good luck. We will be expecting plenty of photos! Expect soem very rewarding hard work ahead of you. May I recommend buying a copy of

the guide dog puppy training manual. We've found it really useful and it's just applicable to any puppies (I think money goes towards guide dog funds)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puppy-Training-Guide-Dogs-Way/dp/1860542093/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210788442&sr=8-2

Ooh good luck. We will be expecting plenty of photos! Expect soem very rewarding hard work ahead of you. May I recommend buying a copy of

the guide dog puppy training manual. We've found it really useful and it's just applicable to any puppies (I think money goes towards guide dog funds)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puppy-Training-Guide-Dogs-Way/dp/1860542093/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210788442&sr=8-2

Thank you for the tip, we've already bought it :wink:. I was in a mad rush at our local food supply shop the other day and I spotted a book section, I quickly grabbed that book as it was about training puppies. I was slightly dissapointed at first as I thought it was just about guide dogs, and ours isn't a guide dog, but when you start reading it, the first bit is about guide dogs, but it then moves on to puppies in general. I haven't read it all yet but only have a few more pages left, I found it very helpful and I also recomend it to anyone getting a new puppy :wink::D.

xx

Wonderful news and many congratulations :D

I like Matilda as a name too and you could, if you liked it, shorten it to Tilly to make it easier to shout in the park! :lol:

Victoria Stilwell (?) wrote a good book to accompany her TV show Its Me Or The Dog (book has the same name) and offers some wonderful and very sound advice about basic dog training. Its on special in out local Pets @ Home store for about £5 so a great buy too 8)

no no no......no photo's of german shepherd puppies on here please!!!! (im not going to look :shameonu::notalk::liar: ) :wink::wink:

Im soooo :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

German Shepherd pups are adorable, you are going to have so much fun.

Our first GSD was called Fern, her sister (see pic left) is called Bracken. when we get another one we are going to call it Bramble. I also like Thorn for a male GSD.

They are such beautiful dogs, my girl is my baby and spoilt rotten.

How lovely! We have two German Shepherds but they were both named when we bought them. Our breeder told us that she always tries to end the dog's name with an 'i' sound like Fendi, Baffi etc. Unfortunately, I changed one dogs name and gave her a name ending in 'a', since doing that we've had a baby called Ava and each time I talk to the baby I end up with a very attentive dog at my side as she thinks I've called her! The pitfalls of naming a dog - choose very carefully! Enjoy the anticipation!

Becka

Thank you all for your responces :D.

I haven't been posting for a while because I have been so busy getting everything together :?.

We are picking the pup up on saturday!!!!! We have already named her......wait for it.........wait for it......Zara!

Anyone like it?

xx

Hi all, firstly SO sorry for taking so long to update you all, you know how it is? You sit down to do something and something else comes up? :roll:.

Well, the beautiful Zara arrived last Saturday, everything went fine, apart from when she was sick on the way home from a 2 hour car journey :roll:. She came home, wee'd twice on the kitchen floor then slept all day :shock:.

She has settled in so well now, she was a bit off her food for a few days and very tired which we where concerned about as when she ate, she would whimper and be sick about half an hour later :cry:. We taken her up to the vet as she needs to be checked over/registered with our vet anyway so we needed to take her anyway. She was so good, absolutely loved the vet and had a great game of tug with his rubber gloves :roll::lol:. The vet said she is absolutely fine, very healthy and happy, just settling in, he gave her a thorough examination and there was nothing wrong so that was a relief.

Apart from that she has been doing very well! She came almost fully house trained at 7 weeks! She now cries at the door when she needs to 'go' which is very impressive really. She is probably used to going outside as she was raised in an outdoor kennel.

Her training has been going fantastically too, she already knows 'sit' 'lie down' and 'leave.' :D:D:D. She responds really well to us all and the majority of the time does as she's told :D.

She's getting her big teeth through now, so her gums are really sore, bless her. After a nap all she can do is chew absolutely anything as her gums and teeth are so sore. Does anyone have any puppy chew recommendations?

She is going for her fist jabs tonight about 6 ish. I'm not too sure how she is going to react, so I'm a bit worried about that :roll:. I'm hoping she wont feel too bad afterwards.

Anyway, I do have pictures, but when uploading them I clicked 'screen size' by accident so photo bucket isn't letting we re-size them now. I would post them, but I don't want to upset the mods :anxious:.

x x x