Lesley

Egg Recording

Does anyone else keep a record of the number of eggs laid?

We keep a notebook with diary type details but also record the number of eggs each chicken lays. We acquired our first two chickens on June 25

Millie, despite not laying for two weeks when unwell, has laid 103 eggs

Tallulah has laid 101 eggs

Both have laid a couple of double yolkers. The week that Millie laid a 'monster' 90g egg, she laid the whole week before and after!

Millie consistently lays 6/7 days a week but Tallulah is a bit more erratic.

Mrs.White has now laid 3 beautiful white eggs.

Hi Lesley,

I only keep a mental record of who has laid eggs each week but when we collect them, we are able to easily identify which hen laid which egg so we write the date and name on so that they get used up in the right order.

Clarissa is still Clockwork Clarry and has only missed 2 days since early June. Jennifer is more erratic thanks to her 2 broody sessions but even so, we are still getting an egg a day at the moment and she hasn't missed a day for a while. We have 14 eggs from them most weeks.

As for double yolkers - at the beginning when they were first getting started, they both laid enormous eggs after missing one day - they really were gigantic (shame I didn't weigh them) and both were double yolkers - delicious!

How organized you lot are! The most I do is note the date on the eggs. It's not that easy to tell who has laid. Doris's eggs are slightly more pointed and Ethel's are a little fatter; if we have two we can tell them apart, but if we have one, it's not entirely clear.

And at the moment, they are laying precisely one egg a day between them - they haven't missed for ten days. I assume they are taking turns.

"After you, dear."

"No, no, dear, it's your turn today."

I did keep a record for the first few months but then we went away on holiday and life seemed too short after that. Anyway we can easily tell the eggs apart - Sybil's are darker than Pollo's. Sybil has laid virtually every day since we had her - her first egg ever was literally laid in the eglu nesting box within hours of collecting her from the farm in Durham as a point of lay pullet. Pollo had a delayed start and got egg bound with a humungous double yolker (see diary and photoalbum on citychicken website) but now lays 13 eggs every 2 weeks and her eggs are now slightly larger than Sybil's (65g) I was expecting them to moult and go off lay this autumn but perhaps they are just too young and will continue to lay through the winter. :)

(green eglu)

Hi MH

Are Pollo's eggs a pale cream? Tallulah's are and hers are also smaller than PP Millie. Tallulah's eggs are always 55g.

I know life is too short but now I can't stop! I keep a running total and now have to carry on to see how many they lay in a year!

Lesley

I keep a note on the calendar of how many we get a day. I don't weigh them but have noticed they are getting bigger. I can't tell the difference between them. They lay in the mornings but if I go down to see whos inside she comes rushing out!

We have only had one egg in the nesting box!

Glad it's not just Tallulah! All the details about Bluebelle's say they lay a large brown egg!

After saying she always lays 55g !egg! 's she has now changed to 60g - contrary is her middle name.

I think it's because our much smaller Whitestar is already laying 55g !egg! 's and she won't be beaten :wink:

Lesley

Lesley stop it you show off that makes it really hard to read. I am in the middle of grouting a shower and not getting much done at the moment trying to catch up on postings. :x

At least I took the yellow words out - that was even harder!

Seems we're doing the same job today - I'm tiling the utility room!

Lesley

We haven't been recording the eggs until just last week. This is due to Ginger being an eratic layer. I should have taken a photo of "one" of her eggs, or should I say two? Two eggs !egg!!egg! joined together!

PPHenrietta's eggs are a darker colour and normally a regular shape, with the point normally being easy to see. She has missed one day since starting to lay, and I hope she doesn't start getting unreliable!

GNRGinger, on the other hand, lays lighter-coloured eggs. !egg! I have posted something about her laying in the section about eratic laying.

If there had been a dark coloured egg to go with the light coloured one, I would have used it for Henrietta.

Well, I am proud to announce our 1000th egg!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Kelly, Kath & Kim have been laying for just over a year and we have recorded every egg in a little book! (How sad are we!). Yesterday Kim laid our 1000th. I think that's quite good going for 3 chickens in a year. :D:D Well done girls! :D