CALNICK

Desperate for your help!!!

We posted earlier about our legbar which we only had last Saturday and through peoples comments on the forum she was too young for us to have. The breeder said she was 8 - 10 weeks old, however compared to the other ladies we purchased from the same breeder she was so very small.

We lost our cuckoo maran after two days from this breeder and we are desperate not too lose this little lady.

Over the past few days she has hardly eaten, sat with her feathers all fluffed up and asleep more than a wake.

This evening we have taken her out of the run and brought her into the house in a bowl, we have given her some water through a syringe.

Please we do not know what else to do.

All help and advice gratefully recieved.

Calnick

Hi Calnick

You are having a time of it at the moment arn't you :(

You have done the right thing by bringing her in and the water is all important.

See how she is tomorrow and see if she will take a small treat, Sweetcorn or maybe moistened mash.

Im afraid if she doesnt't pick up, you will have to see the vet.

There is a powder you can get called critical care. You add it to their water and it helps them over any illness.

Hoping all goes well for you Calnick.

Best Wishes

Dear Calnick

I`m sorry to hear of your plight, I would keep her indoors in the warm over night, Thats what i would do for mine.. make a little nest for her to roost in..we kept ours warm with a heated teddy and the airing cupboard... and if she turns out to be too young as it seems? IE the sleeping more than awake perhaps chick crumb as food instead of chicken pellets..

You wont probably have noticed my first post but we had a rescued chick from only a few hours old, he slept a lot, and with the drinking we used a pippet for a few drops at a time, your chiccy is of course older, but the other thing we did was add warm water to the chick crumb so it was paste like and fed that too, as the days drew on dry chick crumb was fine...

As you are unlikely to have chick crumb, perhaps try to mash down some of the pellets if you think she is too young.

Its always horrid when you are stuck like this and dont know what is wrong..it could be that shes not well, or just missing her friends and home as shes young.

Whatever the outcome I do wish you well and I do hope that you get this sorted out..

As 'Chucknette`s 'post said, if shes not looking good tomorrow morning then ring your local vet... (always more difficult over a weekend)

We put her back in run last night and she went straight for the food container then for water and back and forth and she had more exercise in ten minutes than for the whole time that we have had her.

After 10 minutes or so we put her in the hen house and snuggled up to all the other ladies.

This morning she never came out of the house so we took her out and gave her some water through a syringe, during most of the time that she was held she had her eyes closed.

When we returned her to the run she went straight for the bigger girls and seemed to try and get underneath one of them.

Unfortunately i had to go out and when i come back she is stil in the run fast asleep looking no different, so i am going to get her out shortly and put her in a large bowl with some straw and a water bottle and will try the methods that you have suggested.

We have some crumb and thank you of your kind offer to sent us some.

Someone has told us that "Marmite" can be used as its high in vitamins, have any of you heard about this?

Again many thanks, will keep you informed of the situation

Calnick

:cry::cry:

Marmite contains alot of salt so I would avoid it in this instance as she is not drinking a great deal :?

It is a good way to get B vitamins though and can be speread thinly on wholmeal bread if she would eat it :?

If she still isn't picking up I would take her to a vet since all of the birds you have had from the same place have died or been ill I would want a follow up in case there is something nasty lurking at this farm :evil:

I can't add any advice, but just wanted to say how sorry I am that you've been experiencing so many problems.

I wonder if she's being bullied by the bigger girls, and is unable to feed when she wants to? Or maybe she's got mites or lice?

Hope she perks up xxx

So sorry to hear of your loss. What a terrible experiencce for you.

I would certainly name and shame the breeder to avoid the deaths of those poor little chooks. I'd be extra careful with the others now and would worm them just in case. Watch out for lice too.

So sorry to hear your sad news. It's unbelievable what you and the girls have had to go through in such a short space of time when you should be enjoying having the chooks around.

I hope that everything works out well with the other ones.

Jue

x