Martin B

Long time no speak..

Hello.

Remember me? Martin B?

Well, anyway, I'm back! :D

A lot has happened in the last few months, after the stress of exams they are now over and I now have a lot of time to myself. I find myself getting up each morning, doing my paper round, getting home and reading! :shock: I have never done so much reading in my life, I now read the Daily Mail, Farmers Weekly, Smallholder, Country Smallholding, Home Farmer, I am reading these magazines from cover to back and they don't seem to be bringing out new issues quick enough! :lol:

I posted on the forum just before I went to Italy to support my friend who was entering a juggling convention in Sardinia, it was a nice experience.

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

It was also nice to be on a campsite surrounded by farms with chickens and ducks ranging across the plains, roads and roosting in the trees.

q3.jpg

I have also been up to Lincoln a few times 'playing vet' by looking at some ill chickens, geese and peacocks, all because my aunty said I had chickens! I hope I gave the right advice! :)

I hadn't seen anybody from the forums too recently, until I visited my half-a-pig at Lesley's on Saturday afternoon. I think he is called 'Snowy'? I might have dreamt that up though! :lol:

q4.jpg

q5.jpg

I now have bees aswell! They arrived on Tuesday evening, a nucleus (queen, brood frames and bees) was provided by the Stratford Beekeeping Association and they now live on the hive at the orchard I am 'renting' from a farmer in a local village. There is one whole frame full of honey already, not all of it is capped but it looks very good and it tasted delicious! The orchard is full of fruit bushes and trees, and the fields near to the farm are covered in wild flowers and clover, the fields are normally oil seed rape earleir in the year.

q6.jpg

q7.jpg

q8.jpg

q9.jpg

q10.jpg

The photos are me 'pretending' to beekeep, they were taken before I got the bees because "Ooops, word censored!"ody was prepared to take the pictures once the bees were put into the hive! :lol:

Oh, and we have also built a run for the chickens. It takes up a quater of the garden and is plenty of room for them, the run keeps them contained when needed and it is also saving the grass, they pop their heads through the fence to eat the grass close to them though! :lol:

q11.jpg

Finally, I would like to thank the many members of this forum who have contacted me whilst I have been away. It means a lot to know that I am a valued member of the forum.

:D

Martin

P.S Give me chance to catch up, it might take me a while! :)

P.P.S I also have a new blog URL http://www.martinblyth.vox.com

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the welcome back! :)

The chickens have escaped numerous times, but over the first few days as soon as they escaped we put them back into the run and they now don't bother, because they know they are going to go straight back into the run. We let them out for a couple of hours a day, but they are quite well trained! :shock:

Beekeeping is very fun Stoobie, you will love it! :)

nice to hear from you Martin, glad to see things are going well. More young chaps your age should be doing the same! :wink:

You are so busy and enthusiastic about animals/farming/plants etc I can see you have a bright future ahead of you!

keep us posted and we'd love more photos. :wink:

**Waves**

Welcome back Martin!! Funnily enough I was saying to OH that you were AWOL :wink:

I missed getting to Lesley's on Saturday as my Hen party ran over :roll: . I think the black pig at the back is our George ( we are sharing him with my sister and my business partner)

How fab to go to Sardinia (OH is 1/2 Sardinian on his father's side) Whereabouts did you go?

Hopefully will see you at the next Farmer's Market in Stratford.

Mind those bees now.

Hi Martin!

Yes, you are sharing a pig with Daniel.....he had it in mind that he was going to have a white pig and had named it Snowy! :roll::lol:

I'm glad to see your hive arrived in time - and that you have bees to go in it.

Not so sure about you now having plenty of time to be on the forum again :? ........... the rest of us will never keep up with all the red arrows :roll::wink:

Hi Martin

Very nice to see you back

You sound like you have been very busy 8)

Love the pics by the way.

With regard to your 'half a pig', we have the other half, I think and our half is called Snowy, if you want to change the name of your bit you can do :wink:

Dan named him by the way, he thought he would be white :D

hi Martin, you do get yourself about don't you! :lol: I think it's brilliant you have so many interests. I hope your exam results are what you want them to be, good luck!

Nice to see you back.

xxxx