Couperman

Stopping smoking is easy I've done it loads of times!

I have just started my course of Champix in a bid to kick the evil weed for good. I have joined the local NHS start stopping/stop starting service too.

I do have an incentive as I need to lower my blood pressure a little and my cholesterol a lot (rather high for my age) :oops: Not to mention I am sick of coughing and feeling ill after a night out. (hangovers are much worse if you smoke!).

I have stopped several times before and stupidly started again a few months on or in my most stupid moment of weakness 3 years on :oops:

I've tried the NRT, I found the patches were a right pain as I had to shave little bald spots to have somewhere to stick them. :lol: and then I came out in red blotches wherever I had stuck them.

I don't know if this drug helps as much as they claim, but I am hoping that combined with the support from the Go Smoke Free squad I can stop for good this time. :wink:

Wish me luck! :D

I need to cut back my alcohol intake too, but hey one thing at a time eh? :wink:

Not heard of Champix, but I did give up with the help of Zyban (similar drug that works at a neurological level) almost 4 years ago.

Drugs are definately the best way forward if you, like me tried everything else and failed. The only down side is they do tend to have quiet bad side effects and my brain never was the same again (sort of fuzzy) but I am smoke free, so hey it's a win in my boook :D

Good luck with quitting, you can do it :D

Drugs are definately the best way forward if you, like me tried everything else and failed. The only down side is they do tend to have quiet bad side effects and my brain never was the same again (sort of fuzzy) but I am smoke free, so hey it's a win in my boook :D

That sounds like a really scary side effect :shock:

Good luck Kev :wink:

Thanks Folks :D

I haven't actually stopped yet. My stop date is ten days from now.

Apparently you wait until the drug is in your system properly before you stop 'properly'. I think it works by baffling your bonce into thinking it is getting it's fix when it isn't and not realising when it is.

So basically, when you do smoke you don't get the kick out of it and the cravings aren't as bad because your body thinks it is already nicoteened up.

So twelve weeks on you stop taking the pills and all is well.

I am a bit uneasy about taking something that diddles with your brain though! It might even fix it :shock::lol:

There are a few nasty side effects (Like suicidal tendancies :shock: ) but the smoking related ones are a tad more risky, so here goes!

If I start posting threads about razor blades or the theme from M*A*S*H please give Cathy a nudge won't you :lol:

Kev.

edited: I replied to Kate and then two more posts snook in and it didn't read right or maybe it was the drugs.....

I used to smoke 20 a day and loved it! Then one day I got pregnant.... :? for me it was just taking a day at a time really and saying to myself "I choose not to smoke today" sounds horribly cliched but it made me feel in control. It took me 10 years to stop wanting one though! :oops:

I've stopped loads of times too.

Will power didn't work

Drugs didn't work

Watching my Dad die gasping for breath when the lung cancer got him didn't work.

Hypnotherapy didn't work

Being pregnant didn't work

Alan Carr didn't work, but then I didn't finish the book

Alan Carr DID work AFTER I read the WHOLE book!!!!

I've been smoke free now for 5 years and I never want one, can't stand the smell and don't miss spending all my breaktimes etc sitting in a car puffing away or standing somewhere in the rain and the cold.....

YOU CAN DO IT KEV!!!

snap Pengy!

I gave up about 5 times once for 6 months but in the end we decided we would quit before trying to get pregnant and we both read Alan Carr. I haven't smoked for over 3 years and Paul is almost 3 years.

I am now a worlds worst ex smoker hating the smell and can't imagine ever lighting up again,

Good Luck Kev and anyone else who is trying to quit, it will be worth it in the end (However I never seemed to have the extra money from not smoking :?:? and I was on 15-18 a day ) :shock::shock:

I've got the women's version of this book and haven't yet got to the end. I'm very doubtful if it would work after the first 30 or so pages. Did you really find it that helpful? I'm looking for inspiration, so would value your opinion to see if it may well be worth me picking it up again.

Jue

x

Good luck Kev, you can do it so long as you want to and so long as you realise you are stopping through choice therefore are not being deprived of anything.

I gave up in 2002 after reading the Alan Carr book, my boyfriend gave up two weeks later and my boss three weeks after that (so one book stopped three people!).

If you need support just scream and we'll provide it 8)

I've got the women's version of this book and haven't yet got to the end. I'm very doubtful if it would work after the first 30 or so pages. Did you really find it that helpful? I'm looking for inspiration, so would value your opinion to see if it may well be worth me picking it up again.

Jue

x

Yes it was that helpful! Mum had already stopped after reading it through and you meet a lot of people who find it works. But then you meet a lot of people that find other things work.

I think I am someone who can respond well to common sense, no nonsense thinking. I have tried a lot of diets too. I've been overweight for all of my adult life, I was a size 16 when I was aged 16, believe me there isn't a diet out there that I havn't tried. After 10 months on Lighterlife I'm no longer overweight and I know that I can now become a skilled weight holder, just as I stayed a non-smoker. But I have had 10 months of group counselling sessions, cognative behaviour therapy etc etc. This is an approach that really works for me I guess!

Jue

x

Yes it was that helpful! Mum had already stopped after reading it through and you meet a lot of people who find it works. But then you meet a lot of people that find other things work.

I think I am someone who can respond well to common sense, no nonsense thinking. I have tried a lot of diets too. I've been overweight for all of my adult life, I was a size 16 when I was aged 16, believe me there isn't a diet out there that I havn't tried. After 10 months on Lighterlife I'm no longer overweight and I know that I can now become a skilled weight holder, just as I stayed a non-smoker. But I have had 10 months of group counselling sessions, cognative behaviour therapy etc etc. This is an approach that really works for me I guess!

Thanks Pengy. I'll dig it out and start reading it again. I read so many pages of it last summer then put it down and haven't looked at it since. It's nice to hear from somebody who has actually read it, as I don't know anyone else and had wondered if it was all just hype.

As for your diet, you are an absolute inspiration to so many people on here. I've read your diet blog a few times and I think you are incredible to have been so disciplined to have stuck to it the way you have. You look amazing :lol: That's the next thing I've got to tackle - chickens mean eggs mean baking means a porky Jue :lol:

I was a heavy smoker,but still managed it 2.5 years ago.I was given a HUGE bag of super strength patches for nothing so popped one on every day for 3 weeks then simply cut them in half and put that on my arm! Yes im a cheap skate,but i didnt want to substitute one demon for another and quitting cost me nothing!

Ironically though,i went to doc several months after quitting because of breathing difficulties to be told i had asthma and was nothing to do with ciggies! :lol:

Jue

I thought the book was hype too but 3 friends at work read it and stopped so i tried, and it worked for e and Paul.

I know 2 friends it didn't work for and Dad keeps delaying picking it up.

What have you got to loose by reading it just a few hours! Good luck

Jue

I thought the book was hype too but 3 friends at work read it and stopped so i tried, and it worked for e and Paul.

I know 2 friends it didn't work for and Dad keeps delaying picking it up.

What have you got to loose by reading it just a few hours! Good luck

Thanks hun. I'm going to dig it out later. Definitely nothing to lose. Will let you know how I get on :lol:

My husband has just quit using the Champix method. He was a very heavy (40+ a day) smoker. This really worked for him, he'd tried all the NRT treatments with no sucess. He had very few side effects apart from mild nausea at the time where you increase the tablets to 2 a day.

Good luck Kev, I hope it works as well for you.

I guess the tablets are working...:?...I have only taken two so far .....but my addiction is on to me and is telling me to smoke more. :lol:

The best analogy I can think of is, Space 2001, HAL, the ships computer...........

'You're going to turn me off Dave, I can't allow you do that Dave'

But I am going to! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

This of course may be nothing to do with the tablets! :wink:

I already feel better just because I know I am going to stop.

Kev.

You ought to get sponsored by family for stopping smoking....and put it towards a nice meal out or a present that you want when you are smoke free, or even give it to charity?

Or will that put way too much pressure on you? Thinking back that may have been too much pressure for me to cope with when stopping so perhaps forget that suggestion! :oops::roll::lol::lol:

Keep at it!

You ought to get sponsored by family for stopping smoking....and put it towards a nice meal out or a present that you want when you are smoke free, or even give it to charity?

Or will that put way too much pressure on you? Thinking back that may have been too much pressure for me to cope with when stopping so perhaps forget that suggestion! :oops::roll::lol::lol:

Keep at it!

I have all the pressure I need from my Doctor, thanks :shock::lol:

Last time I wrapped I didn't tell anyone I had because I didn't want the continual reminding and in some cases goading. :evil:

I am very positive this time and to be honest I don't even enjoy tabbing anymore it's just well... habit.

I know it will get tougher when I stop completely in 7 days time but I'm up for it.

The funny thing is, I usually lose weight when I stop smoking so no worries there either.

Kev.

Couple of tips Kev,

Say stopped and not given up, makes you feel less deprived and keep away from the 'oh go on'ers' who want to keep offering you cigarettes.

Oh and believe it will be easy this time and that really helps (I stopped 3 years ago)

Watch out for the flashbacks too, the little triggers all through the day. If you are aware of them you can interrupt the habit :D

You can do it

Buffie X