Couperman

Stopping smoking is easy I've done it loads of times!

I smoked heavily for many years, but gave up with no problem when I found out I was pregnant with Duncan.

Perhaps a bit of an extreme way to find the will-power, but it certainly worked!

You might find it a bit difficult mind Kev....

Now when I was pregnant with James they didnt' manage to say anything to put me off smoking. Health professionals just kept saying "smokers have small babies" - hmmmm, sounds good to me.

I was a total addict at that point, a year earlier I'd watched my Dad die of lung cancer, not a pretty death at all. The day I had James they sent me up for a scan, so I nipped out for a smoke on the way! 2 days later when I was finally allowed out of bed (elective cesearian) Mum found a wheelchair to take me up for a smoke. Less than a week later I was sat in a smoking shelter outside the hospital, I had a sick baby inside (jaundice) and it was 4am on Dad's anniversary, the time we got the call to go to the hospital as he was dying. I just sat there chain smoking for about 2 hours.

Looking back I can't believe I was that hooked!

Hi everyone,

Yes I am still going strong :D:D:D:D:D:D

I went back to the smoke free support thing on Wednesday and registered a big fat zero on the CO monitor which is the reading of a none smoker :D:D:D

The side effects from the Champix have subsided (not that they were any big deal anyway) and I haven't felt the urge to top myself which if you believe what you read on the internet is the main effect of the drug. :shock:

I will certainly report a major side effect if I happen to fall pregnant :lol::lol::lol:

Kev.

Good for you, keep going. I gave up with my first two pregnancies but went back to it again once they were born. I just went off it when I was pregnant, with the third I found out so early that I actually made a conscious decision to quit and went cold turkey. I was very lucky as I didn't find it hard at all and I've been off them ever since. That said if I have a lot to drink, and I mean a LOT (done it about twice in 3 years :shock: ) I have been known to smoke - once had 6 in a night and sounded like Eartha Kitt the next day. Luckily have never been tempted back. OH on the other hand is like you, he's also a Kev! He's tried several times and is on about having another go. When he's given up before his breathing improves he snores less :lol: coughs less smells better all the stuff. So good on you, it's not just the better lung health bit, so much will change for the better

Mrs B

well done :D . Do you feel better in yourself? I'm trying to persuade my Grandpa to give up smoking .. He's 66 and has smoked since he was about 10. He is healthy for his age though *touches wood* .. Very much doubt he's going to give up after this long though :(.

Good on you for giving up though :D .

To be honest I don't feel a great deal better. But it was the same last time I stopped. For the first couple of months you tend not to notice any great change as the withdrawel makes you feel a bit pants and your lungs start evicting the smoking related gunge so you cough a bit more. But I do feel better about myself and of course Cathy is pleased too.

The biggest pain is getting repeat precsriptions for the Champix. It is costing me a fortune taking time off work to request them and then go pick them up. :roll: Plus I have to go see the Nurse to tell her what a good boy I've been before they let me have any more pills. I have already seen the Nurse at the Stop smoking service so I have already had my lollipop.

I don't see the point in making drugs available that make it easy to quit and then make it rather difficult to get them. Unless they are really worried about side effects and monitoring it closely for that reason :anxious:

Thanks for the support everyone, it really does help :D

Kev.

Update,

:dance::dance:1 month, 2 days, 4 hours and some seconds and minutes since I kicked the evil weed. :lol:

I must take this opportunity to thank everyone who has posted messages of support on this thread, it really is appreciated. :clap:

And if it has inspired anyone else to have a crack at stopping then please stick at, I feel so much better for it now. :D :D :D

I know it is still early days and in a few weeks time I will have to stop the pills, but the 'habit' of smoking has been broken and that is 9/10ths of the battle.

I don't believe I will ever smoke again.

Thanks guys,

Kev.