Olly

New (very shy) cat - sad update

I'm so sorry to hear that. It must have been really distressing for you, and I can only imagine how angry you are at the charity for distressing poor Custard this way, but I'll bet he enjoyed the fish at the end of his life - like manna for the poor old guy.

I hope it won't stop you from trying again when you've gotten over this pretty shabby episode - there are plenty of healthy cats who would love a new home with you.

Well thanks for all the comments, I have been very bitter about this and swore I'd never rehome another cat. I knew that I didn't really mean that ... no plans as yet, but I did want to get a second cat to keep Wellington company, and that hasn't really changed despite the horrible experience. I will not be so gullible next time though, I'll insist on seeing the cat properly first and making up my own mind. I feel they took advantage of my willingness to take on a needy cat, rather than choosing one.

Good news is that the charity phoned yesterday, I was out but there was a long voicemail saying that they are reviewing their policies, and that my letter 'shouldn't be a problem' and they will get in touch, and apologising for the long delay. To be honest I had given up hope of hearing from them, but I am taking this to mean that they will refund the vet's bill of nearly £400. It was never just about the money, but the fact that they have replied has gone some way towards restoring my faith and made me feel a bit better, and the bill was something I could ill afford at the moment.

Thank you for all the kind thoughts, it has helped to be able to come on here and let off steam a bit.