AnnieP

Money saving ideas.

I am having to pull my horns in quite significantly over the next few months. :oops:

You forum guys are a wonderful source of great ideas. Come on, how can I save massive amounts of money? :D

I have already changed my utilities providers over and made great savings. Pet insurance and car insurance have also been swapped to cheaper companies.

I am not going food shopping without a list, and will go more regularly and buy less, looking out for offers on things I USE

No new clothes/unnecessary item buying.... :evil:

Any other ideas?

I am not going food shopping without a list, and will go more regularly and buy less, looking out for offers on things I USE

Annie, we've found that we save a lot of money by shopping fortnightly instead of weekly as we are able to take advantage of BOGOF offers more readily. We're saving £40 on our shopping bill by making the gap between shopping trips longer. I aim to shop monthly once we've got used to this routine. Storage can be a pain (especially when Nouvelle 16 roll loo rolls were half price this week :lol: ) but I love not having to push the trolley round every week!!

We also buy a slightly bigger than normal Sunday joint and make it last for 3-4 days as this makes a real saving. You can eke out the meat really effectively in pies and pasta sauces.

I now shop monthly and although it is a massive effort, I love not having to do it again for 4 weeks! :D I have veg delivered weekly, make my own bread and buy milk from a local farm. Eggs of course are in constant supply. :D I also enjoy the 'when it's gone, it's gone' experience and I'm quite strict about buying no more until next month.

It works for me, though as you say Kate, storage is a bit of a nightmare. I'm not sure that I save very much but avoiding the shops must be good for my purse.

Definitely, Ginette. Must save something on petrol too if you don't have to drive to a supermarket so often to stock up. I've learned to be tidier in cupboard packing and take a strict list with me and try not to deviate from it. That's cut our bill because I'm not impulse buying BOGOFs now and only get the ones we actually need.

Great ideas so far guys! A car boot might be fun too.... although I'm not much of a hoarder... Going to think on that one and start rumaging through soem cupboards....

Kate, thanks for the tip re shopping for food. I HATE shopping, so maybe less often is best!

I am making real efforts to switch stuff off, which makes green sense as well.

Thanks!

Moneysavingexpert is good isn't it? Thats where I have found the insurance deals and so on. also gocompare.com

Ginette... when its gone its gone... I take it that applies to everything, except loo roll! :lol:

Buy in bulk where possible! Also try out light meals that you may have forgotten you liked....sardines/pilchards on toast are a firm favourite in our household and don't cost much.

I too stock up on things when they are on offer and I too struggle to find places to store things! :D

Take a designated amount of cash when you go shopping and leave the debit cards at home.

Learn to like pasta, polenta, rice :lol:

Go shopping in the evening, a lot of stuff will be marked down.

No heating on in unused rooms, and thermostats down and fleeces on!

Use petrolprices.com to make sure you are getting the best deal for fuel.

Sell a kidney? I'M JOKING!!!!!!!!!

Ginette... when its gone its gone... I take it that applies to everything, except loo roll! :lol:

Yes! But I buy enough for a month and so the family has to suffer with co"Ooops, word censored!" cheaper paper if it uses too much! :lol:

Bread flour is another must have which I haven't got quite right yet. Last month I was left with several packets. This month I have just started the last one. :?

We have changed our mobile phones from monthly contract to monthly SIM only. It means that I don't get 'free' upgrades but I have halved my monthly bill and am not tied into a minimum contract length so can swap again when I choose. I'm not fussed about handsets and am happy just to have phone and text and maybe camera. You can pick up mega cheap handsets now.

Between us OH and I have saved £25 per month. 8)

Be conscientious with appliances - unplug the things that live on standby especially if they are rarely used. I have a lovely DAB stereo in my living room but don't use it often preferring the kitchen radio - the DAB one uses way more power than the traditional one. Also energy saving lightbulbs if you haven't swapped already ( I just got some free from British Gas - perhaps to make up for the hideous costs of energy). Also spent the day chopping up branches yesterday to use as kindling and logs over the winter and tidied the shed so there is room for some coal to go in - apparently the prices are about to go up as well so I am planning on buying in some before then - do you use coal -if so this could save you some money. I am also considering how much central heating I really need and trying to leave it until as late as possible before I turn on the heating ( October half term would be wonderful - but we will see).

Cook from scratch if you don't already - tasty fun and much cheaper :D

as students we would make up a weekly batch of minced meat bag it up & it would become sheppards pie, bollonaise (I know I cant spell) chilli, curry, lasagne, moussaka, grow a few salad leaves spring onions herbs raddishes

I know Tesco gets a bad press on here but I've discovered thier own brand washing powder is as good as anything else £1.29 for a great big box.

I don't have a big garden, but by being sensible I can grow a very large proportion of our food in the summer. Courgettes, tomatoes, potatoes (last year I had enough for well into the winter), leeks (leek and potato soup), and obviously lettuce, carrots - lunches are always salads in the summer - parsnips for the winter.

I don't drive anywhere if it is less than two miles away - use my bike. Big bag on the bike for shopping. Fuel costs for short trips are mega

Use the library. Only full loads if you have a dishwasher and washing machine.

Kettle - only boil enough for what you want (teapot, whatever) and fill it after it has boiled to use the heat that is there.

Fridge door - open it once to get all you want out. Don't dodge to and fro in and out of the fridge.

Things on standby - tellies, phone chargers, radios, computers etc.

Keep a list of what you have spent on what - that way you don't fritter.

Sell surplus eggs - I charge £1.50 a half dozen, delivered (on my bike) and that covers all the food for the girls and I get my eggs for free.

Don't carry unnecessary weight in the car (i.e. boxes of things you leave in the boot), keep the tyres inflated to the right pressure, and drive more slowly - 5 miles under the speed limit won't make much difference to the length of your journey but it can cut fuel costs quite a bit. And turn off the air-con, if you have it!

You sound like someone who already cooks from scratch, but that's the biggest thing for me - I spend less, I have to plan ahead and what I cook lasts much longer. I find it's a real challenge, looking in the fridge and working out what I can do with what's available, rather than choosing what to eat and then buying the ingredients.

Agree with everything else on here, especially turning off appliances. I've got my Owl Monitor and I check it regularly to make sure nothing is running that shouldn't be!

I have to say, the one thing that would save me a shed load of money would be to bar me from iTunes. There's just so much music in there just begging to be listened to. I'm catching up on Richard Thomson's latest offerings, and I hadn't listened to anything recent by Linda Thompson - last album of hers I bought was One Clear Moment.

Sorry, I realise that isn't much help in terms of general economising, but it would save me oodles of dosh.

Mind you, if you are into music and are tempted to buy CDs; don't. Listen to the clips on iTunes, decide on the tracks you like, then only buy the tracks you really like. I find I may buy two tracks of an album - at 79p each that's much cheaper than buying the album! Mind you, I appreciate that its better not to buy any!

Serious saving tip; make presents. We make chilli oil; save any bottles that look decent, buy olive oil, grow Pinochio's nose chillies and then put oil and a chilli in the bottle. Label it up yourself and give as a pressie. I knit socks, Her indoors spins and knits or makes felt stuff (brooches, beads). My neice gave us chutney for a birthday, we gave her a handspun, handknitted shawl for her baby.

Hi :D

The OH and I grow quite a lot of our own stuff..so it helps a bit when you don't have to buy salad stuff etc.

We do a weekly shop, but write a food plan for the week so we know exactly what we are buying. We don't buy biscuits etc, or treats to put in the cupboard..if we fancy one i'll walk to tesco and pick one up. We've found we're saving quite a bit of money per month on the shopping by not picking up random stuff in the supermarket, which a lot of the time gets wasted!

I also came off a mobile contract and onto a monthly p&g sim, when you top up £10 each month you get 300 free txt's and then your £10 credit for calls.

We're also are careful now about the obvious things like having radio on instead of telly and cutting back on heating etc. Also, when I cook a chilli, I'll make it a big one and freeze a few portions so it saves cooking a meal when you're busy.

We're having to cut back as we've both left the forces and i'm currently looking for work, so the more money saving the better! I Bet Gordon Brown's not worrying about cutting back on things (thats another gripe but won't start on that one :oops: !)

Hope this helps a little x x

(green eglu)

(Bluebelle)-Barbara !egg! 28/07/08

(Bluebelle)-Margot !egg! 04/08/08