No no no! Don't tell me that Mel....I need more time..... OH is proving to be remarkable stubborn:

" But we need to buy a new fridge Annie"

"But we need to buy a dining room table Annie"

"But we haven't got the money Annie" etc.

Honestly! :roll::roll::roll:

No no no! Don't tell me that Mel....I need more time..... OH is proving to be remarkable stubborn:

" But we need to buy a new fridge Annie"

"But we need to buy a dining room table Annie"

"But we haven't got the money Annie" etc.

Honestly! :roll::roll::roll:

I'm having the same problem :roll:

Although my plan to sell the current one and replace it seems like it might be getting through.... just won £50 on the premium bonds - so that should help :wink:

Can someone explain to this complete novice (me) what the difference is between the mark 1, 2 & 3 eglus? :?

Is it just the size or do some have different design features than others??

Which type of eglu will fit in 4 hens?

Are Omlet currently selling Mark 2 eglus?

Sorry for the Spanish inquisition! :oops:

You've basically got it I think. The mark 1 was the first Eglu: same size, shape as the Mark 2 (currently on sale). A few alterations had been made: No rubber seal in the egg port door and I think the roosting bars were different.

The Mark 2 went on sale around May last year, as I got one of the first Mark 2's and last yellow eglus! :wink:

The Mark 3 is currently a figment of our over-lively imaginations, although I do believe there is some substance to the rumour!

It is said to be bigger and will be able to hold more chickens!

As to sizes and numbers of chickens I think this is how it goes:

Mark 1: 2 chickens

Mark 2: Up to 4

Mark 3: ???? who knows!

Apparantly there are a few who have seen prototype pictures of the MK 3 Eglu,& it may have 2 nesting boxes & be for 6-8 hens :D

I think it is in the offing as when I spoke to Omlet last week they said that they were working on the design still........

Of course,this could all be just a rumour :lol:

Thanks for that AnnieP & Cinnamon.

Did they remove the rubber seal as it was difficult to open the port? :?

I love the idea of fitting in 6-8 hens especially in the purple colour! :D

I hope that while im building my luxury hen hotel the mark 3 does come to fruition it will look so good as the pent house suite! :D:D

I have noticed that some folks have decorated eglus - i have seen a flowery one and Lesleys eglu her new rabbits live in has flowers too. Can you request this decoration or is it a home customised job? Ifs its done at home i would love to know how - any ideas?

I have noticed that some folks have decorated eglus - i have seen a flowery one and Lesleys eglu her new rabbits live in has flowers too. Can you request this decoration or is it a home customised job? Ifs its done at home i would love to know how - any ideas?

Yes, Motherhen & Lesley both did this themselves, using a particular type of paint. I've forgotten what it was, I'll see if I can find out.

I think they both look lovely. Are you artistic & thinking of having a go?

Um..... I can't remember the name of the paint. I will have a look when I go back to the house as I still have the little pots there. It was very easy to do even though the colour range is a bit limited.

The Mark 3 will happen - who knows when though? :roll:

It looks quite different to the Mark 1 and 2. You can house more chickens to an Eglu as long as the chickens are not confined to the Eglu run. We have 6 cockerels left, they are a bit bigger than the hens and although they have two Mark 1 Eglus they insist on all sleeping in the same one :roll:

Emma - be careful when you say you only want 4 chickens - some of us have a habit of buying more....... and more ............

:lol::lol: I have that affliction too Lesley 8)

I am thinking seriously about getting a mark 3 when they are launched, but a lot depends on the cost and design. My chooks are happy in the Eglu that they have, with the run extension in place, but they fre range most of the time. We do have some problems with only having one nest box; some 'bed-blocking' goes on and some of the other chooks decide to go private and lay round the garden :roll: I tried intoridcuing another nest box in the shape of a washing up bowl filled with Aubiose, but they didn't get the hang of it!

Now that's a great idea Shona! :idea: I don't have any potties around any more, but it's smaller than the washing up bowl, so would work. The problem with the bowl was that thay'd stand on the edge and it would tip up, so I put a brick in it under the bedding, but by then they'd decided that they weren't having any of it :roll:

I have just rediscovered this post to thanks to all who have tried to help with my customised eglu question.

Yes, Motherhen & Lesley both did this themselves, using a particular type of paint. I've forgotten what it was, I'll see if I can find out.

I think they both look lovely. Are you artistic & thinking of having a go?

Im not overly artistic but willing to give it a go, i love customising things and giving it a personal touch. :D

Emma - be careful when you say you only want 4 chickens - some of us have a habit of buying more....... and more ............

Oh dont you worry Lesley i have plans and BIG ones too!! Why do you think my user name is theherd123 - i aim to have 123 members to my herd :wink: (Dont tell the OH of this cunning plan though!) I have the bears and then its the chickens, guinea pigs, rabbits, donkeys, sheep, and maybe some kids to follow!! :shock: