Lesley Posted March 19, 2010 Author Share Posted March 19, 2010 You should recognise the orange gloves Em! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted March 19, 2010 Share Posted March 19, 2010 Lovely photos Lesley I bet she enjoyed that. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 Ahhh - lovely piccies. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
henriette Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 A happy Lauren and a happy lamb Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 So lovely - they do not look particularly smalle either! Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 Very cute Lewis wants to go lambing now - might see if mother will take me tomorrow Are they (or staying) entire? and will they be named .... or will that make 'the end' harder. i don't mind them being mucky when I hug them.... ... nor me Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 Aw, they're cute. Sad about their Mum though, but I guess it's just one of those things. I'm glad the dogs are behaving around them too, but it's a shame about all the hatching eggs. Have you sent a message to the seller? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 Oh yes - dont remind me about the orange gloves Lesley!!! Beautiful photo of Lauren Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted March 20, 2010 Author Share Posted March 20, 2010 The lambs are quite sickly - they aren't suckling as well as they were when we picked them up - they don't baaaaa anymore either. They're quite strong, but quiet. We bought a lamb reviver which we hope will help, and we have given them a bigger box. We will probably move them to the outbuilding if they seem strong enough tomorrow. They are still entire and will probably stay that way. We don't think they're strong enough to cope with being castrated or having their tails docked. They will only be with us for 3-4 months so it won't be a problem. We haven't seriously named them although I call them Paddy and Mick and Carl calls them Seamus and Diarmuid - they were born on St.Patricks day We will probably name them if they survive - we name everything......it doesn't make it any more difficult..........we always find it difficult anyway Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 The lambs are quite sickly - they aren't suckling as well as they were when we picked them up - they don't baaaaa anymore either. They're quite strong, but quiet. We bought a lamb reviver which we hope will help, and we have given them a bigger box. We will probably move them to the outbuilding if they seem strong enough tomorrow. Is that one of the boxes you pour hot water into, hope it does the trick. It could be that they didn't get colostrum off the ewe - could you try stomach tubing? I was terrified at first but it does help Like both the names Edit. Just googled it, think it is a stomach tube not hot water box. Hope it does the trick Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
henriette Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 Sorry to hear that the lambs seem to be a little poorly We used to give ours a mixture of egg yolk and olive oil in some milk, but I'm afraid I don't remember the quantities. It definitely worked for us It was a remedy given to me by the tutor when I did my lambing course . Do so hope they keep getting stronger Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 I fed the lambies this morning (well, one of them); they are gorgeous, but tiny and not strong. I had the more poorly lamb and it had trouble suckling; not guzzling the milk as they usually do (neither was t'other one come to that). The lamb reviver Lesley mentions is a liquid tonic for them. Not sure how they will do at present TBH as they are quiet and placid for wee lambs Lesley took some photos, but I shall vet them first (won't I Lesley ? ) as I had my 'weekend face' on and worzel hair The chicks are lovely too and I gave one a cuddle and kisses. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted March 20, 2010 Author Share Posted March 20, 2010 It's taken me so long to sort this that Clare got here first........ Hi Lewis - the lamb reviver is Lamb Kick Start - a mixture of vitamins and malt and other stuff which does what it says on the bottle - 4mls of that each made a bit of difference and then the second dose really seemed to help..... so......we've had an ongoing saga today......... Clare called in after the Farmers' Market and fed the weaker of the two.... (and can I just say here that someone hung the toilet roll the wrong way round - it wasn't me and Carl wouldn't dare! ) We gave them a bigger box but then decided that they needed more room. We weren't sure so we gave them the run of the utility room to see how they were - they started gambolling around like............little lambs!! Mmmmmmm - lamb dinner...... We decided they would be OK in the outbuilding... New Home...... Moving Day! Dogs looking for any weak points to gain access! The Lambar - Carl trying to show them where the milk will be..... All settled.... We're just going back to see how they are and give them their next bottle - then again at midnight and again at 6am if they look like they're strong enough and have taken enough milk at the midnight feed. If they go downhill then we'll be up at 4am......down the drive.....in the dark Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 T'was me who hung the loo roll... SOMEONE had left an empty one on the holder Rather you than me down the drive in the rain to see the babies at night... I can see Carl sleeping down there for the night if he snores again like you said he did last night Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 Wonderful pictures Lesley! Im sure the lambs will start to thrive soon esp with all the TLC they are getting. I do hope you dont have to go down the drive in the rain in your PJ's! As for the loo roll - Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted March 20, 2010 Author Share Posted March 20, 2010 No PJs - big pink T Shirt, pink Crocs wellies.... and my dog walking coat! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 Is that all! Wow - you will need to run down to the barn fast to keep warm Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 Ahh, just found the tonic Should be ok if they'll take a bottle , but sometimes they're too weak or just refuse one At least they're up and about Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted March 20, 2010 Author Share Posted March 20, 2010 They're still refusing the bottle - we have to force their mouths open and hold the bottle in all the time - they're really not interested I've a feeling it's going to be a long night. I'm making a fleece wrapped pillow for them to snuggle up to. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ClaireG Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 Hope the lambs getstronger soon Lesley. I might send Simon to sleep in the barn with Carl if he snores as much as he did last night Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 I'm making a fleece wrapped pillow for them to snuggle up to. Didn't find them a teddy then? Lewis, the weaker one is especially reluctant to feed and his tongue keeps popping out of the side of his mouth... hence me having my fingers clamped around his muzzle Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 I'm making a fleece wrapped pillow for them to snuggle up to. Didn't find them a teddy then? Lewis, the weaker one is especially reluctant to feed and his tongue keeps popping out of the side of his mouth... hence me having my fingers clamped around his muzzle Yep, know it well You could try stroking up their noses up to eyes, meant to stimulate something and make them suckle because it feels like the udder to them? If forcing it works then its best for the lamb even if they think not Sounds like they could to with stomach tubing Not sure if you've done it before? You get a catheter and put it down their throat, if you can hear/feel air if you hold it to your cheek, you're in the lungs so take it out and try again - should be able to hear gargling in the stomach but no air. Then just pour milk into the syringe and it fills them up. Sorry if I'm waffling and you've done it before Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
henriette Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 [sounds like they could to with stomach tubing Not sure if you've done it before? You get a catheter and put it down their throat, if you can hear/feel air if you hold it to your cheek, you're in the lungs so take it out and try again - should be able to hear gargling in the stomach but no air. Then just pour milk into the syringe and it fills them up. Sorry if I'm waffling and you've done it before Definitely worth a try: Quite frightening the first time though! I shall be waking in the night wondering how you getting on Lesley. Hope there is a happy post in the morning and that you manage to get a little sleep. Mxx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted March 20, 2010 Share Posted March 20, 2010 I did offer to bring one home to tuck up in a basket by the bed with a patchwork blanket.... I suspect that Ruby would want to play with it though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted March 20, 2010 Author Share Posted March 20, 2010 I think Tali has got dibs on playing with both of them We have stomach tubed tiny lambs Lewis - it is scary isn't it! We have all the necessary tubing etc. but we'll see how they go first. I don't think we'll get much sleep tonight - Lauren is back in Warwick A&E so we're waiting for news. .......and I thought we couldn't possibly have as bad a night as last night! In between feeding lambs and Carl snoring and then insisting he wasn't, we had problems with Tali who seemed to be overheating and panting. I got up at 2am to give her some water......and again later........and we were so tired we forgot she'd need to go out I shouted at her later for scratching up all the bedding and making a noise.....only to find she'd wet all the bedding . We changed all their bedding and then realised we'd stood in a puddle in our bare feet and walked wee everywhere We had to mop the floors and wash our feet. I reset the alarm for 7am instead of 6.30........hoping to doze for the extra half hour........and then the phone rang at 6.55 Anyone got a couple of matchsticks? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...