ubereglu Posted April 5, 2010 Share Posted April 5, 2010 What a difference being hungry makes then! They sound greedy, especially Buster, (cheeky lamb!). Glad they're doing well though! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted April 6, 2010 Author Share Posted April 6, 2010 It's still a bit hit and miss with the bottles - 2 now take all their milk and the other 2 have to be coaxed............they are now on 2 milk feeds a day. Two new boys....... All four together - much easier than introducing hens!....or dogs!! Cassidy drinks his from the jug..... Jazz and Buster.... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 6, 2010 Share Posted April 6, 2010 Awww, those two new boys are gorgeous, look at their k"Ooops, word censored!"bly knees! Has Cassidy knocked his jug over yet? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TheGirlsMum Posted April 6, 2010 Share Posted April 6, 2010 I always love your threads Lesley, wish I was able to do as you are, so living the dream through your eyes Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted April 6, 2010 Share Posted April 6, 2010 Ahhhhhhh! Cassidy's tummy is getting round! Hopefully he will make a good dinner eventually. Runs away before things are chucked at me! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted April 6, 2010 Author Share Posted April 6, 2010 I won't be chucking things at you!! Eight halves of prime grass fed lamb is what they will be..........hard to take them off to the abattoir though - especially after they've been hand fed Cassidy hasn't kicked the jug over because I don't usually put it down for him (only to take that photo) - he still has to be coaxed into drinking it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 6, 2010 Share Posted April 6, 2010 Bless him! Personally, I don't have problems eating animals I've reared, but I can see how people might. The lamb your rams produce is always brilliant, Lesley Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted April 6, 2010 Share Posted April 6, 2010 They're sweet and look like they're doing really well. I particularly like the photo of Jazz and the lamb, very funny! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted April 6, 2010 Share Posted April 6, 2010 Aww I can imagine how hard it must be to take them to the abattoir, was talking to someone about table birds a couple of says ago - I really like the idea and want to do it, just know when it comes to it I'l be putting it off for a few days. At least you know exactly whats gone into them and they've had happy lives I always love your threads Lesley, wish I was able to do as you are, so living the dream through your eyes Ditto Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted April 6, 2010 Share Posted April 6, 2010 Me too. I could manage table birds, DH would neck them but nothing with big eyes and four legs. I have just returned from Morocco where ALL the birds are intensively reared. The Moroccans call them "Electric Chickens" and you see them on sale in the markets crammed into cages and they are weighed live when you buy them. Broke my heart Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted April 6, 2010 Author Share Posted April 6, 2010 How sad Once these lambs are out on grass and become boisterous they won't be nearly as cute Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted April 6, 2010 Share Posted April 6, 2010 Hmmmmm roast lamb! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted April 6, 2010 Author Share Posted April 6, 2010 Hmmmmm roast lamb! Shhhhhhh - they might hear you! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 7, 2010 Share Posted April 7, 2010 Watch it Koojie! I'll be in the queue to size them up. Can't help doing that when patting the piggies either Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted April 7, 2010 Share Posted April 7, 2010 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted April 7, 2010 Share Posted April 7, 2010 Very cute, but mmmmmmmmmmm mint sauce, bahhhhh . I am still trying to work out if it was morally wrong of me to sit plucking a chicken in the sun the other day as I watched all my other chooks happily play in the sunshine. They even ran around my feet as I was doing it , talk about the circle of life . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted April 7, 2010 Share Posted April 7, 2010 I tend to find that once it's in yer mouth, all agonising goes out of the window! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mostin Posted April 7, 2010 Share Posted April 7, 2010 I tend to find that once it's in yer mouth, all agonising goes out of the window! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted April 9, 2010 Author Share Posted April 9, 2010 Absolutely beautiful weather here so we moved the cows and sheep on to the next paddock so that we could bring the lambs to the lambing barn where they will have more room. Lauren mended the swing and was quite happy - despite the pain from her collarbone - Jake found a stick so he was happy and the dogs were as happy as ............well, dogs in cow poo I suppose First two lambs to move...... The two dogs obviously think the same as you lot! Next two..... The lambs are not impressed by Tali's attempts to be friends..... All four in their new home...... We've made a small area of grass available to them during the daytime and they've been gambolling all over the place - even little Cassidy who is doing well on three and a half legs now! Three take their milk from a bottle on the bottle rack and just Cassidy being held and bottle fed - he suddenly decided he couldn't drink from the jug Jake named the fourth lamb so he's now Lamb Chop. They will all have their Heptavac vaccination this weekend - they have to be over three weeks old. We were talking to friends in the kitchen last night whilst I was making the milk for the lambs last feed when we noticed that Tali was very quiet - we called her and she appeared at the gate to the utility room looking like she had a very serious habit - nose all covered in white powder......she'd been head first in the lamb milk bag Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted April 9, 2010 Share Posted April 9, 2010 Lambs are very cute - Cassidy is still going strong then ... if a little but awkward Look at her ...Tali was very quiet - we called her and she appeared at the gate to the utility room looking like she had a very serious habit - nose all covered in white powder......she'd been head first in the lamb milk bag Teenagers eh Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted April 9, 2010 Share Posted April 9, 2010 Trouble is, if my daft yellow muppet is anything to go by, the teenage phase is a long one Lovely lambs Lesley, I am really quite Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lesley Posted April 9, 2010 Author Share Posted April 9, 2010 Look at her Not so funny when Buster tried it the other way - and succeeded - when I was too slow getting the bottles in the rack Don't tell me that Sha! - it's still funny at the moment....... don't know if it will stay funny. Watching her stalk the cats every day is just so hilarious - she really thinks they can't see this great yellow lump prowling around Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted April 9, 2010 Share Posted April 9, 2010 Love that pic of Tali, the look on her face as well ... thinking "if I can just get my bum through as well ..." Looks like it was a lovely day on the farm Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
theherd123 Posted April 11, 2010 Share Posted April 11, 2010 Wonderful Lesley! Spring really has sprung on your farm and what a beautiful sight it is too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted April 12, 2010 Share Posted April 12, 2010 Lovely piccies Lesley. Lots of lambies in the fields around here too. Seeing them plus the weather - makes me all cheerful - that and seeing a brimstone butterfly - summer's coming! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...