mictogirl

Chicken keeping regrets?

Laura, I hate to tell you this but even in the summer when things are growing they still destroy everything in sight :roll: . I gave up the unequal struggle last summer when we built a walk in run. I still let them out under supervision but this way they are safe and so is the garden.

Don't feel guilty, the girls will always make you feel bad where ever you have contained them. Even if you had huge area for them you can get your bottom dollar that they'd want to be going outside that area too (they are very good a pleading aren't they!).

I make sure that in their run they have lots to do, like Egluntine mentioned, I always hang lots of greens up just above head hight so they have to work for them - they love this game too. My DH has bought lots of wood this holiday to build a mezzanine in the run so there is even more variety for them. However, they always seem pretty happy there and as there is a lot of soil for them to dig in you can imagine that this is their favourite pass time.

Thankfully, my hostas etc are safe from the girls (which they shredded regularly looking for slugs), we can enjoy the girls and the garden (and the eggs). Its a win-win situation I think.

Hope your DH is persuaded too.

Ours almost never free range now, they did last year and I haven't a plant left that isn't a shrub and they would try them in the absence of anything else I'm sure. If you left them free ranging into the Spring and SUmmer you wouldn't have a plant left. I've no forget me nots, fuschias, nothing, for bedding read breakfast, herbaceous border might as well read lunch, chickens are fab, I absolutely love them and I'm hooked but like Wild Mum said, with a big dog as well I could get a full time job poo picking and to be honest I don't want to spend all day every day clearing up poo from pets!

There's a thread on here somewhere as well with pictures of various peoples runs that they've made themselves or bought in, show your OH - might inspire him. And you could mention that yes £700 is a lot of money, but by the time he's bought the wood, measured it all up cut it to length bought the mesh or wire adapted it to hold the feeders and drinkers it's a LOT of work and effort and time and money and he might be far better off just buying one in!!

Good luck

Mrs B

We have a walk in run and did have the Omlet netting up as well until a few weeks ago when 2 of our girls were killed by a stoat. My Christmas present was a large extension to the run, also made out of weldmesh, so our chickens won't get out to free range now. They have a good sized bit to run about in and are secure.

Sheila

PS Happy new year everyone!

There's a thread on here somewhere as well with pictures of various peoples runs that they've made themselves or bought in, show your OH - might inspire him.

Mrs B

Yes it might.....our run cost about £200-300 to build. He might like doing it once he gets into it...my OH cant stop fiddling with/adapting our run now :D

Living in a new-build house, we have a tiny garden and the poo levels are also starting to get me down - the girls free-range all day at weekends and their favourite spot is right outside the patio doors!

So, over Xmas we've decided to build them a bigger run - they're currently in a cube run + 1 extn. The plan is to have a full 3m with the cube outside, but make it pretty much walk-in height. (We're not supposed to 'build' in our garden - strict covenants - but if we keep it below the height of the fence it should be OK.) I'm really excited - it'll have room to go and sit in with the girls, plus height for them to flutter about and perch. And of course a mostly poo-free garden without the trashed raised flowerbeds (currently used as dustbaths, even though we built one especially for them....)

All I can say is, they'd better start laying in return for all this.....

No regrets from me except . . . my thoughts are now turning to "how to keep them off the veggie patch and stop eating my plants". We are lucky to have a fairly big garden and the girls are free to wander around. Poo picking I don't mind - into the compost bins it goes, although I have had to wait till the weather gets warmer to hose the paths down afterwards - not good if you have youngsters (mine are teenagers now). They do have their favourite paths and the plants that have been there are now compacted into the mud. The snowdrops are coming out and they are undisturbed - which I was a bit worried about beforehand. We still have grass too!

I think a walk in run sounds much easier to manage than the cube run (with the extension), which I have to bend over double to clean out and it is quite difficult to reach all the way underneath - hence my back going kaput when I do clean it (thank goodness for Ibuprofen). My girls are put in there about half an hour to an hour before bedtime and then they have their last feed of the day and a small bowl of corn with mealworms. Then they preen and go to bed.

The only problem I have ever had was the loud honking and bokking they make when they are alarmed. It never lasts long and only once in a while. We often get Canada geese flying overhead and hopefully people will think it is them and not my girls! After having a get together with some of our neighbours it was the first time they were told about my girls - they didn't know because they have never heard them - so I was relieved!

The biggest worry of all is to control yourself - it is a case of have some, want more. I would also love more, but it wouldn't be fair to the girls or my garden, so I will be patient - until we get the smallholding (dreaming again) and I will have all sorts then. I so want a Croad Langshan, and an Araucana, and ... and ... etc. :D

Oh I know the feeling.

I do like my 3 hens & would hope that I am a responsible hen owner but I'm really shocked about the about of poo they do!

I see pics of everybody with their walk in runs plus those who let theirs free range and it all looks and sounds so easy. I let our free range 3 out of 7 days & the poo and OH complaining about it is also wearing me down. the eglu plus its extension is so hard to clean. we have to lift it up and carry it away in order to clean properly.

Today he spent best part of 90mins jet washing the patio,( we have a very large garden and patio) followed by almost 90mins of complaining!

His main concern as it is mine...it will be soon spring and our 4year daughter and her friends will be constantly out and about playing in the garden and I definitely don't want poo about.

I am considering a walk in run but I have many questions

1. Do the hens stay in the large walk in runs all the time? will it be big enough for them as they are currently free ranging in 1/2 acre or so of garden?

2. I need the run near where the tap is so that the hose is within easy reach plus electric socket for power wash - how do you guys manage to clean without reeling metres of hose and extension leads?

3. we are cleaning the eglu twice a week and the run every 10days or so. It is currently on concrete and the wood chippings are totally replaced each time. How often do the runs need a total clear out? or how do you all manage to keep it very clean

4. Can I build the run around 4 large fir trees? will it encourage mites etc to breed on the hens?

5 I bought the omlet netting but one of the birds managed to fly over the top of it even though her wings have been clippped. Has anybody managed to make theirs more taunt than it currently is, I feel I need more poles!

thanks everybody and sorry for hijacking this post with my angst

Kit

1. Do the hens stay in the large walk in runs all the time? will it be big enough for them as they are currently free ranging in 1/2 acre or so of garden?

Mine stay in the run for large parts of the day at the mo. They free range for a couple of hours each day in winter and most of the day in summer.

2. I need the run near where the tap is so that the hose is within easy reach plus electric socket for power wash - how do you guys manage to clean without reeling metres of hose and extension leads?

I reel metres and metres of hose and cable up the garden. If I'm just doing a mini clean, I use a watering can. :D

3. we are cleaning the eglu twice a week and the run every 10days or so. It is currently on concrete and the wood chippings are totally replaced each time. How often do the runs need a total clear out? or how do you all manage to keep it very clean

I use Aubiose in the run and change it fully every month- 6 weeks or so, with poo picking and a bit of tidying/topping up in between times.

4. Can I build the run around 4 large fir trees? will it encourage mites etc to breed on the hens?

Can't say either way whether it will encourage mites or not. If the hens have any wooden structures nearby, then there is a chance that red mite will take up residence. Good husbandry will keep on top of it.

5 I bought the omlet netting but one of the birds managed to fly over the top of it even though her wings have been clippped. Has anybody managed to make theirs more taunt than it currently is, I feel I need more poles!

It is better a bit slack. If it is taught, they will perch on it more readily and will be more likely to escape.

Oh I know the feeling.

I do like my 3 hens & would hope that I am a responsible hen owner but I'm really shocked about the about of poo they do!

Today he spent best part of 90mins jet washing the patio,( we have a very large garden and patio) followed by almost 90mins of complaining!

3. we are cleaning the eglu twice a week and the run every 10days or so. It is currently on concrete and the wood chippings are totally replaced each time. How often do the runs need a total clear out?

Kit

Hi Kit

Firstly - your OH will have complained for the full three hours but the first 90 mins will have been drowned out by the jet washer :lol:

When my run is built further up the garden I will be running a long hose down the edge of the garden with a hose splitter on the tap end and the other end fixed on a peice of wood in the ground so it acts as a remote tap - it will stay in place permenently. Tub trugs are also good for cleaning the Eglu you can get the roosting bars in the bigger ones and a trolley to wheel the trug along on so you don't have to carry it. You don't have to pressure wash it each time you clean it (I guess it makes it quicker though :D )

My woodchips have been down in my run for three months now, it would cost a fortune to replace them often and we would end up with tons rotting down in compost bins! It helps if the run is covered as the chips don't get so wet, each week I sprinkle the surface of mine with Aubiose which helps with the damp and smell and a little Stalosan F which helps with the smell and keeps things a little more hygenic! I give it all a good rake over (removing the Eglu from the other end so I can get in both ends)

Regarding the poles - you can buy these individually or in small packs from agricultural merchants and I have seen them on Ebay too

Sorry for the long replies!

Oh I know the feeling.

I am considering a walk in run but I have many questions

Ours freerange all day in the winter but less in summer. Like you we have 2 children under 5 and don't want them playing in chicken poo. I tend to let them out before the children go in the garden then get out the hose to flush the poo away before the children go out to play.

2. I need the run near where the tap is so that the hose is within easy reach plus electric socket for power wash - how do you guys manage to clean without reeling metres of hose and extension leads? Our run is sited fairly near the hose and we have a hose on a reel so we can reach.

Our run is cleaned roughly once a month but really it depends on the state of the substrate. I use Hemcore or similar.

You can but I assume you won't then be able to have a roof so it wouldn't be fox proof.

I haven't tried the netting, mine are either in the run or running riot, we don't have an inbetween.

Kit

We have had our two chickens since July and have learnt a lot from reading the forum and asking questions. I couple of points that may be of some help are in connection with the escaping chickens and also the problems of cleaning. We have an Eglu and run and it's situated next to a beech hedge, we have installed Omlet netting around it so the chooks can wander under the hedge and around the outside of the Eglu, it gives them enough interest when they aren't free ranging. We had a number of escapes at first but have bought some fruit netting and lay it over the top of the netted off area so they can't fly out! We had to fit a few solid wood posts to help secure it and use bamboo canes to fix the netting to, this way it's quick to move the net out of the way when necessary.

The second question is cleaning, we have woodchip from 'Flyte so Fancy' and as it's hardwood it hasn't rotted with the damp (we've looked at the woodchip at B&Q and it doesn't seem a fraction as good as the hardwood). It's put down on soil so most of the poos filter through and don't smell or cause a problem, it's been down for quite a few months now and we'll get fresh woodchip in the spring. We remove poos as often as we see them and tend to clean the bars and tray every couple of weeks.

I hope this helps

Gail

:D I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks Laura for being honest about the problems you have had with chickens Vs. hubby and poos, and about your second thoughts. I hope you find a solution where you start to enjoy your chickens again, but if not there is nothing wrong or evil about finding another good home for them.

This thread has been useful to me because I am thinking of getting chickens in the not too distant future and I love everyone's sympathetic advice.

I think this is a great forum :D

If you have a bad back try a dutch type hoe and one of those dustpans with the long handle - great for s"Ooops, word censored!"ing up pooh in those awkward to reach places as well as avoiding bending. Take a large bucket with you as you go round - like many of you I was astounded at how much chickens produce, though OH was quick to say I told you so. :roll:

1. Do the hens stay in the large walk in runs all the time? will it be big enough for them as they are currently free ranging in 1/2 acre or so of garden? My girls like Egluntine's stay in their run a lot of the time at this time of year (I make sure they have lots to keep them occupied such as spring greens tied up just above head height etc.

2. I need the run near where the tap is so that the hose is within easy reach plus electric socket for power wash - how do you guys manage to clean without reeling metres of hose and extension leads?I have water butts collecting water from my run roof I then have a water butt pump (not that expensive) and use that to connect to my power washer, I then just have to trail a power extension from a nearby shed that has power. This way I feel I am doing a bit more for the environment.

5 I bought the omlet netting but one of the birds managed to fly over the top of it even though her wings have been clippped. Has anybody managed to make theirs more taunt than it currently is, I feel I need more poles! You can buy additional poles and also use guy ropes too to help but am inclined to agree that this gives them a firmer foundation for take off and landing. Some hens are amazingly good flyers even with a wing clipped, it will depend on their breed and size and temperament too. :roll:

Mictogirl,

This was hubbie and I exactly 1 year ago.....but the other way round. I loved the chooks in the whole garden and hubbie hated stepping in the poo at the back door and tripping over them all the time. He put his foot down and we bought the Omlet netting. Reluctantly now I think it was a good idea as this summer the kids played hazard free in the garden and the chickens have their own large area to wreck and no more back door poop.

I have a short/wide garden. So the chooks get the right hand side in Spring/Summer, middle in Autumn and the left of the garden in Winter. Flexible netting at £70 really helps and I can just move it around at will.

You are very wise to bring up the subject which needs discussing and will mean you can make a decision and then get on and enjoy your chooks whatever you decide to do.

Kit,

I only clean my eglu every 4-6 weeks in Winter and change the Auboise bedding on the run floor at the same time. I do the poo tray regularily obviously and keep their feeding bowls and nestbox clean. In summer I clean the eglu more often but not at the moment with this weather, my hands would drop off doing a deep clean as regularily as you do.

I poo pick their free range area daily, but with the shorter days and bad weather they don't get out of much as in the summer and consequently there is less poo on the lawn to clear away.

Not sure about trees and red mite, but I would have thought that having trees in their run area would be a benefit. I read in Practical Poultry magazine that chickens dislike open sky and quite like a bit of overhead cover. For the shade in the summer the trees would be great also to scratch around underneath.

My lot only make it over the omlet netting using a by using a launch pad like the bin too close for example. Have you got any compost bins or eglu too close that they can use to get over the fence or have you seen them actually clear it completely?

My Omlet fencing isn't really taut but I do have a few wooden stakes every third pole or so just to give a bit of extra support or where I need the netting to turn a corner.