Dai and Antonia

Chickens spreading feed on the ground

We have fairly recently acquired three new hens to replace our last two, which had a relatively long and happy life before being got by a fox.

Our last two hens each had different eating habits - one would eat straight from the omlet feeder, the other would pull as much as she wanted from the feeder onto the floor and eat it from there.

THESE ones all pull as much food as they can from the feeder onto the ground - more than they need, and in this weather, it is turning to mush and getting wasted. We're really getting through the feed, and I'm certain that Mr Rat is soon going to make a return visit!

Any ideas? Or perhaps it has been written about already on the forum and you can give me a link (I can't find it).

Thanks!

Antonia

I have the same problem with one of my girls, she seems to stick her head and scoop loads of pellets, sometimes the other two eat what's on the floor, sometimes they don't. Very annoying. I first noticed her doing it after I put some bokashi bran in with the pellets, so I was wondering if she was searching for the Bokashi, but know it doesn't seem to matter if there's anything added or not. :roll:

there is another thread on this which talks about chickens spilling pellets, from a couple of days ago. Mine are getting worse and worse at it, but I do agree with the advice I was given, which is that if you don't fill up their grub immediately it gets low, they will finish up the stuff on the floor !

I got fed up with my three tipping over the feeding trough that we bought one you can hang up. They have only knocked it down once but I think this was because it was empty (I think the fixings might have been loose too as the washers and spring had come off). And I have to say it's worked out brilliantly.

I've heard some folk put a tray (attached somehow to prevent tipping up!) under the grub?

We do this when the run is on grass, DH has drilled a hole in 2 opposite corners of a long plastic tray (like you stand plants pots on on a window sill) & put a 4in nail through each hole, which are then pushed into the ground. This stops the little monsters turning the tray up & spilling the food again :roll:

Since they went onto the hard base, we've been giving them mash porridge in ceramic dog bowls, which they don't seem to tip up. They still have the grub of pellets on the run, but manage to keep their food in the grub, I think, as they aren't so famished when they eat from it. I suppose tomorrow they throw food everywhere because I've said this..... :shock::roll:

Sha x

when mine moved onto layers pellets, I put them on the Organic layers which I'd got, and they threw it all over, they never did this with the growers pellets..

if I put something else in, they threw the pellets everywhere in an effort to get the treat

Now I've changed to a different brand of pellet, and I dont get this problem...(plus I never add a treat in with the pellets, they have that in a seperate bowl)