Chooks Aloud

Novice needs general advice

Hi everyone

Well the girls have settled in and really have personalities of their own. Two of them are really friendly and let you stroke them and pick them up in the run entrance, but Chico is a bit timid - but hey we've only had them a day.

I'm afraid I haven't got any housework done today but I have loads of questions which I just know all you chicken people will help me with.

Here goes:-

1. Due to the bark on the ground we're having trouble shutting the door once they've gone into roost and my arms aren't long enough to push it out of the way. Any ideas?

2. I took out the droppings tray today to empty but the rungs are messy etc. How often do you clear this out? Do you let it all dry first? How best to clean the bars (really messy).

3. I took out the tray today because it was smelly inside - is there any way you can you avoid this smell? I don't particularly want to take it all to bits every day. But I don't want it ponging either as it's just underneath my windows.

4. Does anyone use Bokashi -active (saw this on the net)? Does it work?

5. Two of my chicken are really inquisitive, the third is timid. I am going to leave them in the run for a few days before I let them out. Should I let them all out at once or just one at a time until I get used to catching them and getting them back in the run?

6. In my haste to join the forum I chose the first name that came into my head. Can I now change my forum name to something else? If so how?

7. What other supplements do you use to keep the chooks in tip top condition or do you not bother?

8. Chicken grit - where do you buy this? (I tried the large pet shop near me but they only have the stuff you shove in the bottom of a budgies cage).

9. My children want to know what's happened to their mum, she never used to go on the computer before, now I'm never off. My eldest said it's like mum having a myspace for the elderly - what a cheek!!!

Anyway I think that's enough questions for now. I've got loads more, but they will just have to wait until another time.

Thanks for reading my never ending list of questions and I look forward to the answers.

:shock:

I empty the droppings tray only once a week (slattern). I put Aubiose in it which completely absorbs th emoisture and smell. You can get a great big bale from most horsey shops and it will last you forever...

The roosting bars get hosed down weekly too, and I just pressure wash tehm maybe every two months. The "lumps" get knowled off daily into the tray beneath.

regarding gettign the girls in... most of us have perfected a call which the chickens associate with food.... (and the neighbours with madness). Once they have learned they will happily all run into the run if they think you are throwing something in there.

Kate can change your username...pm her....

I'll leave teh rest for someone else! :wink:

Never a problem asking questions here.... its the main reason we're here...

Good luck!

cant answer it all but l empty the droppings tray every day as its easy and makes there life more comfortable and l clean the roosting bars every day as well.as for letting them out one by one l would leave them in until you feel more comfortable getting them in.I find when one gose they all tend to follow.

(green eglu)

(Bluebelle) bluebell

(white chicken) ruby

PP marmalaid

Edited by Guest

I am an eglu cleaning slattern, and shove aubiose (and straw if I've run out) in the poop tray, to avoid having to pull it out too often, as I have giant plants behind mine (foxy can get it out with his teeth). I clean the bars once a week if I can, scrubbing with a stiff brush and disinfectant in water ( I rinse out the eglu and scrub the poop tray at the same time) but I have gone for a few weeks just emptying the tray and giving the bars a quick s"Ooops, word censored!"e. It smelt a bit, but the straw and aubiose get on top of the smell. The best thing for anti-stinkiness was putting a bit of garlic powder in their food. I've not finished my first tub (around £5 and in the omlet shop or feed stores) yet, and a teaspoon in each side of the grub, mixed up a bit, seems to keep the stench to a minimum. I inveigle mine back into the run with bird seed or sweetcorn scattered in it, but I find that if I make the right noise they go in on their own. So find something they love,and have it to hand for bribing them to go back in.

when we first got our chooks (after keeping them in their run for five days) we just let them out for an hour before dusk for a day or two so we could stay out with them till they trundled back home to roost (which they happily did without arguement)

we also use aubiose.

we buy our grit online from a lovely man in Norfolk (along with oyster shell, mixed corn and invaluable advice) delivery anywhere in the UK next day if you want

www.junglegoldlimited.com

we absolutely reccomend him. when we weren't sure what size grit we wanted he just mixed several sizes in together so the chooks could choose for themselves :lol:

Droppings tray emptied once a week. Eglu washed every 2 weeks......or 3 weeks :oops: , same with the roosting bars. The roosting bars get scrubbed in a bucket of hot soapy water, left to dry and Diatom rubbed into the ends before being put back in the Eglu.

Garlic powder will help to get rid of the pooey smell. Mix about 1 tablespoonish into the grub of pellets or mash.

I give my hens Apple Cider Vinegar for 7 dyas, once a month. 20ml to 1 litre of water. Use ACV for horses not the sort from Tescos. You can buy it from the Omlet shop or any place which sells horsey stuff. ACV is a tonic and makes the chickens guts slightly acidic so may preventive worms.

Sometimes I add poultry spice to their food. Another type of tonic which is good if given when the chickens are moulting or seem a bit under the weather.

To get the bark chips away from the door use a broom handle to knock them out of the way or get one of your children to crawl down the run to clear them away. This will teach them not to be cheeky about you being on the computer all day :lol:

Poultry grit can be bought from farm supplies shops. Or ask at the pet shop, they may be able to order you some.

Hello Karen

Some advice i was given about my nervous chicken -

Is Chico squatting down when you get near her?? Laying eggs yet??

My Shirley is really timid but isnt laying yet. Laverne was timid until she started laying, but now is quite tame. Babs is just a flirt.

Wait until Chico is laying properly and she should become tamer - think its the hormones!!?!

I also use garlic powder and it seems to work well, not so smelly. I clean the tray every 3-4 days ish. scrub the bars every week and give the eglu a wash down.

Hope this helps.

Christian x x

I'm not shutting the Eglu door at the moment because it's still quite warm. I struggle with the bark too. I shove it out of the way weekly when I do a full clean. It's easy to access with the lid off. When I wanted to close the door last winter if the bark was a problen I closed the door as much as I could, but never really botherd if I couldn't lock it as the girls let themselves out anyway.

I clean the Eglu with dilute Ecover washing up liquid, a scrubbing brush, sometime I jet wash it.

Don't worry this site is fab and full of clever people with very helpful info. :wink:

Hi Christian

No, Chico is not laying yet, she doesn't squat either just scurries off. We have managed to stroke her today, taking her mind off it with food, but as soon as she realises what's happening, she's off. We have, however, managed to pick up the other two - these are not laying yet either, but as soon as they see you they run up and will squat if you put your hand on them.

It's early days yet, we've only had them 2 days, so I'm really pleased with the progress.

Can't wait to get out there tomorrow - my poor house is suffering though, nothing is getting done!!

I've now got the garlic powder and have put some in the food - fingers crossed.

Karen

I ompty the poo tray once a week and scrub out the eglu once or twice a month (recent non-stop rains permitting), but I will definitely give the garlic powder a go. I've also spotted Hemcore at our local suppliers, so I think I'll switch to that when we have time to clear out the bark...

Colesez, if they're squatting when you pet them (my Migsy looks around worriedly and makes little crooning noises, as if expecting a cockerel to appear out of thin air!), you should start getting eggs in a few days' time :D

I empty the tray once a week and take the roosting bars out and scrub them at the same time.

I cover the tray with shredded paper (one useful use for junk mail) and just tip the whole lot (shredded paper and poo) into the compost heap.

I put shredded paper into the nest box as well - gives them something nice to sit on!

I never lock the door shut, but I do close it every evening. That way they push their own way out in the mornings when they want to.

The Eglu is in quite a big enclosed run so I move it round every few months.

I clean the whole Eglu once a week with hot water and a squirt of washing up liquid and an old washing up brush with a s"Ooops, word censored!"ing bit on one side. I line the tray with a few sheets of newspaper (the local free weekly one :wink: ) to aid cleaning as you just roll it up and stick the lot in the compost heap. I also use shredded paper in the nest box, topped off with a little bit of dried grass clippings. :D

1. Due to the bark on the ground we're having trouble shutting the door once they've gone into roost and my arms aren't long enough to push it out of the way. Any ideas?

8. Chicken grit - where do you buy this? (I tried the large pet shop near me but they only have the stuff you shove in the bottom of a budgies cage).

9. My children want to know what's happened to their mum, she never used to go on the computer before, now I'm never off. My eldest said it's like mum having a myspace for the elderly - what a cheek!!!

I try the shoving the handle down hard approach :oops: you can reach in through the egg port through the inside of the door :idea:

I think omlet does grit if you're desperate (probably expensive). I got mine from the chicken breeder. I'm sure someone on the forum would share some as chickens use so little and they probably have a huge bag somewhere.

They'll get used to it.....it'll help seeing them less as you will get less comments :roll::lol::wink:

[Have now got my grit from a supplier near me, however, the chickens don't seem that interested. Think they must be getting enough from the garden.

As above - use newspaper and shredded junk mail so only need to empty aonce/twice a week and scrub the bars then too

My feed contains grit and was advised by my breeder didnt need any extra - just a thought u may not need any??

Have fun

Sue