Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

Well brace yourselves I got the quote from the handyman today re my WIR 12ft X6ft on a paved area 14ft x8ft, using 16g weld mesh etc cube on outside etc......

OMG :shock: OMG :shock: £1340 :!::roll:

You can guess what OH said to that. :cry:

Needless to say I have asked Avaries4U for a quote to see what they reckon minus them doing paved area may have to get someone else to do that or have major rethink!!! :silenced:

I am just catching up with this thread again....couldn't believe this quote.

:shock:

Tony is building ours 6.51 mtrs x 4.65 mtrs (21ft x 15ft) with a solid, mineral felted apexed roof, guttering, downpipes, double patio doors and a large free ranging port and he is delivering and building it for us in May half term for £1,235.

Tony is building ours 6.51 mtrs x 4.65 mtrs (21ft x 15ft) with a solid, mineral felted apexed roof, guttering, downpipes, double patio doors and a large free ranging port and he is delivering and building it for us in May half term for £1,235.

please please please tell me that that isn't the lead time on aviaries4 u runs :pray::pray::pray:

I'm phoning tomorrow to order a standard 12 x6 x6 with egg port door and plastic roof for delivery by courier as I think we are too far away and I have a full tool kit, a 6ft DS (with able friends who will help in return for cake :wink: ) so can easily build it myself :D :D :D

I could have it built before then but we have so much reconstruction work to do in the garden then we have to lay foundations, etc. With the current regime at 'stalag 69' where we work, we will only have holiday times to get the work completed.

I hope "Ooops, word censored!"ody minds me hopping on here. I started reading this thread on Tuesday because my chickens have dug up my freshly planted bulbs once too often now! They are lovely, and I love having them, but my garden is becoming ruined and anyone who comes into the garden now seems to walk through looking at their feet to avoid chicken poo :vom: . So, after reading, planning, thinking, looking at the garden from every angle (including the kids' bedroom!) I eventually got some graph paper, measured everything out, plotted where my Eglu and run currently are, and came up with various plans for a walk in run. Then I presented it to hubby (things have to be 'presented' - it's his construction-mind!) and he said he thought it was a brilliant idea!

So, never one to miss an opportunity, I started making phone calls and pricing things up, making lists and so on. The walk in run will be approx 10.5 feet x 5.5 feet (3m x 1.6m) with an extra 7 x 1.5 feet (2m x 0.5m) behind the shed. Two of the sides will be made up from our rear 8' fence and the side of our large (18') part brick shed. I've ordered 5 6x3' panels with 1x1.5inch weldmesh (one of which has a door) and am eagerly awaiting delivery of them TOMORROW! On Saturday I measured out the whole area and dug it over, then today I buried chicken wire a couple of inches under the ground around the perimeter and laid decking planks around the outside too. That part took AGES to get it level and so on. Hubby helped a bit, but he's really not into DIY at all so it was a struggle to get him to help at all!

Oh, and yesterday we also took a trip to B&Q and got some corrugated PVC sheeting for the roof and some lengths of wood to use as batons along the shed to help secure the roof etc. It has turned into a real project and I am aching all over but it is so satisfying! I am too excited about the chooks actually moving into their new home too.

I have loved reading everyone else's stories and seeing pictures etc and am a teensy bit jealous of those lucky enough to be getting Tony to do theirs - his look amazing! They have given me some inspiration though. I can't remember whose it is, but I absolutely love the walk in run which is coloured a gorgeous blue/green and am trying to convince hubby that we NEED to do that to ours once it is done!

One question, before I have a soak in the bath for all of my aching joints, is my run big enough for three chooks to stay in most of the time? I don't mind them free ranging when I am in the garden to chase them off my bulbs (!) but I would like them to spend most of their time in the walk in run. Is a surface area of 68feet enough for them? I intend to put a table in there for their eglu so that they can still use the space beneath.

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow if I can work out how to do it....

Kris

wow that sounds great pinkybijou, welcome to the thread, nothing exclusive about this one! It's for anyone who's planning a WIR.

I'd have said yours sounds perfect for three chooks, I'm not going to have much more than that for my five but it will be more than the Cube run - adding some perches will make use of the height as well. I'm impressed you've done so much, I am now dithering about where to buy slabs from and whether to get them delivered - can't order the run till then.

Keep us updated with pictures, I am so impressed with people who build their own but it would just never get finished if I tried.

oh wow congratulations on building it yourself Pinkybijou, I could never do that myself, although my hubby is a carpenter, so I would enver need to... luckily!

Make sure you keep us posted with pictures and progress reports, we love all the infomation. :)

This is my run, although not the blue/green one you like so much, and I cant think who's that is right at this minute, I have a mental block.

But my run is complete now and the outside has been made good, the grass needs to repair, but it's done. :D

SP_A0334.jpg

SP_A0333.jpg

I am so sorry these have come out a bit larger than I wanted... photobucket stinks! Sorry mods I ahve tried 4 times to re-size these but even though it says I have it comes up like this... can someone wave their tinker dust over them??? :?

Edited by Guest

Hi Pinky - welcome to the thread.....we would like pics at each step if poss please :D (we love on pic on here :D )

Cookie - is that block paving outside your run? LOVE IT :D Are you sure you don`t loan hubby out? :D He will be fed and watered and rewarded with ALL the sports channels and my OH beer? I would offer to send my OH to you for a while in exchange but I have yet to work out what you could use him for? Have you got an excess of beer that needs drinking? Not much use otherwise :oops:

I am sure it is 1 metre square per bird insn`t it? I could have seven and a half chooks in my planned WIR :D Someone correct me?

I have tried the googlesketch thing but am not as skilled as ANH so have stuck to biro and paper :oops:

Looking forward to your images Janty?

Cookie - is that block paving outside your run? LOVE IT :D Are you sure you don`t loan hubby out? :D He will be fed and watered and rewarded with ALL the sports channels and my OH beer? I would offer to send my OH to you for a while in exchange but I have yet to work out what you could use him for? Have you got an excess of beer that needs drinking? Not much use otherwise :oops:

:lol: yes we had a few block pavers left from doing the patio so hubby thought they would tidy up the bit in front of the door :D

I am glad you like it, I think it makes the run look complete now... phew!, just as well!

I am afraid I cant loan him out, he wont go, I've tried pushing him out the door, he wedges his arms and legs in :wink::lol:

:lol: I am sure your hubby is very usefull in many ways :lol:

Well I've jusdt read all 30 pages of this thread :shock::shock:head hurts now but I know exactly what I need to order from aviaries4u :D :D :D

I'm hoping (going on the delivery times quoted on recent orders) that it might arrive for the Easter Hols which would be perfect :D :D

Now.......how early can I phone Tony in the morning :think::think::wink::lol::lol: