Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

Still no better, I am rubbish at having colds but luckily don't get them very often :)

My OH has been supplying me with squash and Cadbury Animal Biscuits all day bless him :D

Its given me a chance to have a proper think about my walk in run so here goes:

I want my run to be at the end of my garden in four sections each with their own door:

Layers

Meat birds

spare small section for second set of younger meat birds or newly purchased/sick hen etc..

Clad section for storage

I am also considering having the layers in their own run nearer to the house rather than at the end of the garden so I can see them and chat to them when I am gardening

If I have a four sectioned run I will need to make it in an L shape to fit it all in

I am possibly going to buy the door panels off ebay as I am not confident I can make those properly :lol:

I am watching a load of slabs on ebay and also a wooden coop for the meat birds and am hoping to buy a Rablu for the smaller run section

I started on my raised beds at the weekend, as soon as they are finished work on the run will start as until the beds are built we have nowhere to put the soil which needs to be shifted before the run can go in

My plans are getting bigger by the day!

Great raised beds! :D

I know exactly what you mean, I built my beds and am now considering ALL sorts of DIY projects. :D

Your run plans sound great, good idea to have sections......could you open/close the section up as and when required so the hens have more use when all sections are not needed?

Hope u r felling better! I agree chocolate animal biscuits are a MUST have when feeling poorly sick :cry:

....caution: raised bed making may lead to a heightened but unfounded sense that you have carpentry skills and can therefore build a chicken run

:lol::lol::lol:

hope you feel better soon, the garden is really coming along now, can't wait to see the run!

Blimey :shock: . That must be a record for a quote :? . (He was quoting for weldmesh and not silver filigree :wink: ?)

lol :lol: that made me chuckle! :lol:

all joking aside though, that is one ridiculous quote! You'd think with the lack of public spending at the moment the chap would have given a reasonable quote to get the job in the first place. :roll:

Hope u r felling better! I agree chocolate animal biscuits are a MUST have when feeling poorly sick :cry:

May I also proudly add that the animal biscuits came in a tin shaped like an ark? thats some quality confectionery :D

Good idea about access to the other sections, I could put in pop holes :D

May I also proudly add that the animal biscuits came in a tin shaped like an ark? thats some quality confectionery :D

Good idea about access to the other sections, I could put in pop holes :D

I was thinking gate/door so humans could move around sections too without having to go out of run to get to the door to the other sections.....or am I being a bit generous with your carpentry skills :wink:

An ark shaped tin!!! That is impressive....the shortbread i just brought came in a regular boring box shaped tin :cry: And before you all reel back in horror :wink: normally I would make my own shortbread rather than buy but got last minute guests for lunch tomorrow and worked all day and working tomorrow AM! :wink:

Is anyone planning on putting some sort of bench/seating inside their walk in run or would that be a bit daft? I don't know, I'd probably stick a kettle in it too if I could, but I imagine it would be quite relaxing sitting in there with a book and the girls wombling about the place. Though I am a bit concerned the neighbours would think me even more peculiar!

Is anyone planning on putting some sort of bench/seating inside their walk in run or would that be a bit daft? I don't know, I'd probably stick a kettle in it too if I could, but I imagine it would be quite relaxing sitting in there with a book and the girls wombling about the place. Though I am a bit concerned the neighbours would think me even more peculiar!

I did consider this...... you can get those plastic storage benches that are a seat too

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7203123/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C12107492/c_2/2%7Ccat_12107492%7CSheds+and+garden+buildings%7C12107631/c_3/3%7Ccat_12107631%7CPlastic+sheds+and+storage%7C12107642.htm

but figured I would be sitting in chook poo most of the time :roll: I currently sit on an upturned bucket when i have my morning cup of coffee with the girls.

I was planning on keeping one of the plastic patio chairs nearby the run and just take it in and out :D

Neighbours already think i am peculiar so I am not really too bothered. Next door caught me jumping up and down inside my composter yesterday and just waved at me, smiled and I am sure tutted and rolled her eyes. :oops:

LOVE the pic ANH :D

Crikey ANH, you should go into business, that's fantastic - see I haven't forsaken you just because DH got his finger out & got mine finished. I still want to see what everyone is planning.

I like the idea of the composter dance P07, I think I'd fall in the nearby ditch if I tried it in mine - might just give the rodents something to think about though :evil:

Sha x

I'll be honest, I have done worse in a composter, but I do hope that was well out of sight of the neighbours!

I was probably getting carried away and was going to whip up (botch together) a bench from all the off-cuts of wood from making the run but I didn't really think about sitting in poo! Maybe a chair to carry in would be better. Hmmm or what aboout some sort if hinged bench top affair... Glad I'm not the only one who quite fancies sitting in their run though!