Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

We decided the WIR was looking a little bare & needed half a tree dumped in there.....

DSC02786.jpg

Actually this pic looks as though there's stacks of room left for the other half of the tree but I think the chooks would have a word or two to say in disagreement of that comment!! The Orpies are terrified of the "twigs"!

Sha x

We decided the WIR was looking a little bare & needed half a tree dumped in there.....

DSC02786.jpg

Actually this pic looks as though there's stacks of room left for the other half of the tree but I think the chooks would have a word or two to say in disagreement of that comment!! The Orpies are terrified of the "twigs"!

Sha x

Well I have read the original fowl came from the jungle so they should be quite at home amongst all those twigs, poor wee orps :lol: It looks great and really big plenty for them to play on lucky girls x Don't think mines found their trug big enough they go in it and eat the sand then they dig a hole under our bay tree and all bath there funniest thing to watch EVER!! so many videos :lol:

Having said they are scared of the twigs, I went out this morning to feed the little darlings & was almost eye to eye with one of the splash Orps, who had decided that the top-most point of the branch near the door was THE place to be...funny girls :lol::lol: !

Sha x

awwwww did ye take a picture? I maybe new to motherhenhood but i am taking pictures most of the day and videos too i can't help it everytime i see them i think aww so kyoot.

No, the law of sod was in residence, I had gone out without the camera & DD had gone off to get ready to school so didn't hear my plaintive wails to get her out with the appropriate kit :roll: !!

Sha x

My camera is always hung round my neck or near the door and one on window ledge so i always have one to grab

i have a professional cam for close ups and other one only has 3 x zoom which is okay if they are close enough but for good close up like my 12 x zoom.

My daughter sat out this morning and all the girls and the cock jumped on the table and the littlest LeeLoo the white star baby jumped on her arm and perched there for 20 mins even when she stood up she refused to move :lol: was hilarious and got millions of pictures

I can't get near that baby she runs off yet she jumps on my youngest girl all time i am so :mrgreen:

My cock is leaving tmrw morning :( sad to see him go and will miss his morning pathetic crows they are so funny.

Got another girl coming in his place but can't think of a good name i liked snowdrop but i saw someone else has used it possibly go with PRINCESS LAYER ooh i can't decide cant live upto the cutesyness of LeeLoo and she really is as cute as her name x

Hubby is adamant that we can build the foundations ourselves but I don't think that we will have enough time with school work, writing reports, etc.

I have got a quote for a reinforced concrete base that will just go around the edge of the run leaving the centre as earth....OMG :shock:

I'll break the news to hubby later.

We (well, OH) built a WIR year before last when we got the cube. We (he) sank in whopping great poles, lined it with lambs wire and slabbed it round the outside to stop foxy loxy from getting in.

Then we lined the bottom 3 ft with chicken wire when a friend told us about their German Shorthaired Pointer bititing the heads off the chooks that put their heads through their run. :shock: Then we got fed up of feeding the entire wild bird population, so lined the whole thing inside with mesh.

18 months later, no fox breaches, very few wild birds get in, its still up (minor miracle in itself) and its doing fine. We hooked up a hose extension inside the run for ease of topping up, and put a double door on so we could roll out the cube. Olny slight problem was with the massive 6 inches of snow in Feb (thats a lot for here!) when I had to go out and sweep it off as the top was sagging.

Slabs round the bottom, much cheaper than getting a builder in.

If I can ever work out how to upload a pic, I'll get one on this thread ... :roll:

Thanks for that but the builder is booked and we are all sorted. Due to the size of the WIR and the fact that it has an apexed, felted roof, we couldn't have just sat it on paving stones.

The one in this picture is about the same length but half the width.

Tonysrun2.jpg

:shock::shock::shock:

Just tried to read the instructions and whited out - way, way too complex for this time of the night.

Not at work tomorrow, so if I have a chance to get out there tomorrow and get some snaps I'll do my best to get one on - don't hold your breath!! (believe me, my WIR is nowhere near as funky as some on this forum - but it has been up for a while :wink: )

Cool 8)

Maybe I'll get adventurous and get photos of the ducks and the camera-shy araucana too!

The run goes back past the Cube, round the side of the playhouse you can see. Its sort of 3 metres by 5 metres with a bit chopped out.

The eglu is where the ducks reside and their paddling pool is down by the side of it, and I have a couple of eglu covers hooked up to give shade - one of them over a baby bath that gets filled up for dustbathing in ... then emptied by the ladies looking for a mid-bath snack! :roll:

Maybe I'll get adventurous and get photos of the ducks and the camera-shy araucana too!
We all love pictures here, the more the merrier :dance:. Now you've got the hang of photobucket there should be no stopping you 8).

Andrew

thought i'd share some pics of the prep for my wir :D

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=112762&id=758333221&l=e98c97ea84

new fence was put up last week, then we cut down all the trees and bushes, they were all along the fence and overgrown. my ys's helped dig and pull out roots and kindly donated their old baby bath so the chickens can use it for a dustbath :) now my garden is full of light and looks sooo much bigger. can't wait to build the run now :D

Well i added some Hentertainment to the WIR today and guess what!!!??? In true ANH hen stylee they are scared to death of:

**new purple trug dust bath....they had no problem with the green one :wall:

** two lovely long logs (thanks Cookie and thanks Ady for lifting them to my car :wink: )

** two lovely short and dumpy logs (thanks Clootie)

**wooden ladder (has always been in there but moved it)

**hanging bird feeder

They were a nightmare to get back into the run this evening......corn didn`t work, neither did meal worms......grapes, cherry toms, kale....if it was in the fridge it got thrown in! Had to resort to cornering, picking them up and putting them in much to Snowballs disgust :lol:

I thinks some tough love is needed. They will be confined to barracks tomorrow and they can BOK BOK BOOOOK all they want! I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in..... :notalk:

Edited by Guest