Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

:lol: they loved it, in fact we're having trouble stopping them dig :!: they're sooo excited about getting chickens and want to help build the run :)

oh I bet you cant wait..its so exciting waiting for the house to arrive, it seems like forever but it will give you plenty of time to be getting on with preparation...

What type of chickens are you going to get? Omlet ones??

Good luck your boys look like they were very helpful...my son loves collecting the eggs and was checking every day he came back from school.

indie :)

I thinks some tough love is needed. They will be confined to barracks tomorrow and they can BOK BOK BOOOOK all they want! I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in..... :notalk:

Fact: You will give in

:lol:

I thinks some tough love is needed. They will be confined to barracks tomorrow and they can BOK BOK BOOOOK all they want! I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in.....I will not give in......I will not give in..... :notalk:

Fact: You will give in

:D So far so good.....they are still in the WIR! I have stayed strong!!!! although I have shut all the curtains at the back of the house so they can`t see me and I can`t see them :roll: ......they seem to be fairly quiet too!

I had plans to cut the grass today but it will have to wait!

Great News Janty!

Will do.

:D

The garden will look totally different by tomorrow night. I have been re-arranging feeders, drinkers and hanging treats so that the girls can be left inside the runs for a few days. I keep having visions of concrete with tiny chicken shaped foot prints in it or my two RIRs standing in set concrete.

:lol: they loved it, in fact we're having trouble stopping them dig :!: they're sooo excited about getting chickens and want to help build the run :)

oh I bet you cant wait..its so exciting waiting for the house to arrive, it seems like forever but it will give you plenty of time to be getting on with preparation...

What type of chickens are you going to get? Omlet ones??

Good luck your boys look like they were very helpful...my son loves collecting the eggs and was checking every day he came back from school.

indie :)

i'm sooo excited and boring my friends to death :oops: all the wood turned up today and luckily my friend's son helped me bring it all into the garden. the plan is to build it over the bank holiday weekend. i'm now in panic in case the (eglu lilac) doesn't turn up on the 28th cos i'm collecting the chooks on the 29th :!: i'm getting my chickens from southmead poultry, an isa brown, a bovan nera, an amber star and a speckledy, i wanted a skyline but they were all reserved, although if one becomes available i'll have that instead of the speckledy.

i'll be so relieved when they're here then maybe i'll calm down and get some sleep without dreaming about wir's and chickens :lol:

I can join this thread now as I sent off an email for a quote from Aviaries for you over the weekend!!!!!

(So excited!) :dance:

Got a reply this morning. (That was quick!) It'll cost £265 for what I want. My dad is the DIYer so he said he'll sort a roof and put the panels up. I may even collect it myself if i borrow a mates van to save on delivery charge. How long do they take to build, once you commission them, if you don't need delivery?

Here's my plan...

3541725871_ed4dcdbc26.jpg?v=0

I don't have an eglu. My girls live in part of my shed they access through their own pop-hole. I have quite a small garden so the idea is the girls will have the area to the right with bedding etc as their everyday area (Run to built on slabs completely due to some ratty intervention this year) but the double doors on wall B can fold back completely to almost double the size. I can put feeders on each door too which will make filling them up etc really easy. Although it looks like the doors may clash with the shed door and the runs entrance, I think I'd never open them all at the same time anyway. What do you thinnk? Should they open inwards? The area between wall A and B will be paved too but this then allows us access for the shed - where then the girls can be shoo'ed into the right hand side to be out of the way. (Plus it can double up as a hospital wing or a place for, ahem, introductions! :shh: There should be just enough space behind the door on wall D for a slimline water butt too! Should be really nice with an apex corregated clear plastic roof and guttering.

What do you think?

Wow, what a fab plan you've produced :clap: . I think it should all work very well - you've obviously put a lot of thought into it :) .

I'm thinking make the inner doors open the other way - like you say, they wouldn't clash with the others then.

The feeders on the doors idea is good :think: . But, the doors are less substantial than the panels and I'm wondering if the weight of the full feeders might put a strain on them? You could build something like the thing my feeders are on (in link below) which would take the strain.

If you put both feeders on one door, you'd only have to open one door to put them in. On reflection, why do you need two doors? If you just had one, you could put the feeders just inside the door with the door opening inwards to keep chickens in. Two doors just means more closing/opening required! We just have to take one step inside our door to reach the feeders which is really convenient.

Have you seen my slimline butt (also in the link below)? It works really well (and was full within a week :shock: ). I've made an overflow pipe out of some washing machine piping which goes into the flowerbeds.

Sorry, I've gone on a bit :oops: . Can you tell I love thinking about all the WIR possibilities/pros/cons :oops::lol: .

it was after seeing your pics of the slimline water butt that made me realise i could fit one in my run! Thanks!

The double door idea was to make the whole space 'as one' when opened. As I've never had a walk-in run before it's tricky to work out any niggles. So you suggest inwards opening? :think: I was a little worried it'd get caught up on their bedding - do they make them with enough clearance?

I was thinking as it was an internal door it wouldn't matter, plus it'd give me more scope to set up perches and mezzanine levels on the right hand side that the doors would swing and hit otherwise. My entrance to the whole structure opens inwards so if the little darlings are about they can swept back gently. Hmm, I think I'll keep them swinging outwards but may make it a single door (May even make it cheaper!)

edited for shocking spelling! :roll:

The double door idea was to make the whole space 'as one' when opened. As I've never had a walk-in run before it's tricky to work out any niggles. So you suggest inwards opening? :think: I was a little worried it'd get caught up on their bedding - do they make them with enough clearance?
Yes, the runs made by Aviaries4U come with boarding around the bottom of the run, so the bottom of the door will be a good few inches above ground level. The primary reason for this boarding is to keep whatever you spread on the floor (i.e. Easybed, Aubiose, etc) inside the run when the chooks scratch about.

IMG_1869.jpg

As you can see, my door opens outwards. It's not been a problem, although there have been one or two escape attempts when my four-year-old has gone into the WIR to check for eggs :?.

Andrew

Janty you must be so excited!

Thanks Andrew, I'd forgotten about the kickboard along the bottom. (Fab run by the way!)

Well. Now I've just got to order it!

And lay the slabs it'll need to stand on. We're planning a 'sunken bath' idea within the slabs. We'll drop a slab lower than the rest, braced with pavers so the girls can have a built in (Rat Proof) bath.

Looking good, Janty :clap: .

Stoice, that's a fair point, as it's not an external door it doesn't matter so much. Good point about the perches too. If you're going for a single door, you could have a stable door, then you can just reach over to put the feeders in without anyone escaping :wink: . The double doors would certainly make it look and feel like a big run. Decisions, decisions :roll::lol: .

I've just been out and measured it - the bottom of the door is 14cm off the ground so plenty of room for bedding.

Good morning everyone. I thought I'd write a little update.

My Dad has been busy putting the run together 'off site' inbetween his other commitments. I'm going over as soon as we have a dry day to cuprinol it all. Then he'll bring it over and put it up at the start of June.

Eglu is arriving start of june too and the girls should be sometime a few weeks after :dance:

We're intending on putting the run directly on to the grass and pinning it down and then adding paving slabs etc at a later date if needed. We're aware the run will rot in time but my parents have a similar set up and are in to their 9th year with theirs and still no rot so we're happy with that (we won't be in this house in 9 years, providing the market picks up!).

We've planned to have the eglu on a table, next to a half door to enable me to access the eggs with out going in.

Now I need to source Aubiose (Omletina - can you remind me where you get yours from?) and come up with some nifty hentertainment.

I'm loving this project :D