The Dogmother

Claret's chicks

:lol: Thanks Sophie.

Lavinia and the chicks have been freeranging with the others for a couple of days now, and Biscuit hasn't managed to catch any of the chicks yet.

There was a bit of a problem with Lily asserting her dominance and she pecked Lavinai's comb until it bled, it was drying out so I decided to leave it to heal on its own.

Herbert is now enormous - taller than his mum, so I will ask Lesley and Carl if they want to take him back. I'll hang onto the two barnies for now to see what they turn out to be, just in case we were wrong with the sexing> i hope that one of them is a cock beacuse Lesley was hoping for one. I don't think she'd be able to breed it with the hens that they've got because they're too closely related, but perhaps they are thinking of selling him or getting in some unrelated hens.

I'll try to take some more photos this weekend if the weather allows.

Paola.... *whispers* shall we mount a "Save Herbert" campaign? :lol::lol:

I do not think my neighbours would be impressed :roll: Its hard when we have watched him grow and Claret giving him a name :roll: Should have called him sunday and it would easier :lol: Would love a hen version of him :D:wink:

I do not think my neighbours would be impressed :roll: Its hard when we have watched him grow and Claret giving him a name :roll: Should have called him sunday and it would easier :lol: Would love a hen version of him :D:wink:

I agree, I think it's the fact that we watched the cute ickle fluffy chick grow, got attached then remembered he was for the pot afterwards :roll:

P.S. maybe if you kept replacing Herbert we wouldn't notice :?:lol:

I've got a hen version of Herbert - a pale yellow but turning white. We've followed on from Clare's original name for Herbert (Herbert Sherbert) and called ours Sherbert.

We also have another Herbert :?

We named our lemon pekin hen Sherbet ages ago.....now we have a whole sweetie themed pen of bantams :P

Clare,I have really enjoyed this thread,seeing the little things grow up.

Please do some more next year....I might even join you!

I agree, I think it's the fact that we watched the cute ickle fluffy chick grow, got attached then remembered he was for the pot afterwards :roll:

P.S. maybe if you kept replacing Herbert we wouldn't notice :?:lol:

What a great idea :wink::D:lol::lol:

I've got a hen version of Herbert - a pale yellow but turning white. We've followed on from Clare's original name for Herbert (Herbert Sherbert) and called ours Sherbert.

We also have another Herbert :?

Is Herbert a legbar? (if so, will be adding to my wish list :D )