Ange1

Anybody want some Honey Bees?!

I've a friend who has a swarm of honey bees in his garden who have taken up residance in his wall near his conservatory.

Can anyone offer them a home or advice, he has rang the council and would you belive they have said they will gas them :shock:

Any help or offers gratefully recieved

Or Martin? Think Wild Mum is into bee keeping too.

I would be if I had fields.

Emma.x

Oh that I were that far along in my beekeeping plans.......only just got to meet the local bods & attend one meeting so far....and read loads of course!!

Maybe this time next year and a few miles closer & I'd bee there - sorry :oops::oops: !!!!

Sha x

I've been in touch with the chap who runs the Coventry bee keeping association and he's not convinced that he will be able to get them out of the garden wall.

my friend is taking some photos, he's wondering whether it's worth dismantaling some of it to reveal the bees!

:lol: That's what I thought Claret!

The bee keeper has phoned now, seems like he's going to come round and try to 'divert the bees into a holding box'.

So at least the bees don't get gassed, I love a happy ending!

Thanks for everyone's help

Oh, definitely definitely get a local Beekeeper to remove swarms. Many people are desperate for bees! And they are under lots of pressure.

I'm really glad they didn't end up "pest controlled" as to beekeepers (and gardeners and farmers) they are valuable creatures...in the right place.

Brilliant!

DD and I are really interested in bee-keeping and are looking to get involved with our local Beekeeping Association as volunteers as first, to assess if it's something we can afford to do ourselves.

I do hope you manage to get the swarm caught safely. The UK needs all the honeybees it can get!

A couple of years ago we had a "wild" swarm at the top of one of our hawthorns. The fellow from the council came to look - they moved. Following day we found out where - into our neighbours hedge. She squirted them with water and they disappeared. This year there was a swarm near my mum - all over some persons hedge in the front garden. Goodness knows where they got to. A beekeeping friend said that wild bees are quite rare now - I am so surprised the council would even consider gassing them considering their plight. I am really glad they have a new home.

Hi

I dont know about the wall but we had a swarm in a tree and the local bee keeper was highly delighted , shame the council cant have a list of people to contact . Hope it ends well

indie :)