bunee1

TESCO grrrrrrrrrr

This was just the topic I needed today.

With me being on maternity leave money is a bit tight and we are trying to pull the purse strings in where-ever we can.

We have an organic vege box delivered weekly which costs us £11.00. We talked last night about stopping it and buying stuff more ad lib as and when we need it.

I was feeling really bad at our decision as the produce is locally grown where possible otherwise it is bought fairly from farmers elsewhere in the country/world.

I needed this thread to remind me why I have the box in the first place. I'll cut back somewhere else.

Where I live we have a large Asda approx 2 miles away, Tesco about the same distance in a different direction, Morrisons about 3 miles away, a large Sainsbury's maybe 3 miles away and a smaller Sainsbury's and a Waitrose in Dartford town centre..... 3 miles away. So with all those supermarkets so very close (and a lot of others very slightly further away) you'd have thought that the area would be saturated. But, oh, no, we're about to lose half of our park and several small shops and businesses to make way for..... TESCO :twisted::twisted:

I need to edit this to update it.

I went to the Tescopoly ( http://www.tescopoly.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 ) website to find a reference about the Dartford Tesco plans (there has been huge local opposition to the threat to our park).... and found this:

Tesco have been part of large development and regeneration plans for Dartford Town Centre. The plans would include a 100,000 sq ft Tesco Extra hypermarket, other retail units, and a new access road through the popular Central Park. There was widespread opposition, particularly to the impact on the park, with residents setting up a "Save our park" campaign.

In 2003, the application was submitted and in 2004 the Local Plan was changed to include the plans. The plans were then approved by the Council. However they were then called in by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, and a Public Inquiry was held in the Autumn of 2005. Local MP Dr Howard Stoate spoke out in Parliament against the plans. In June 2006, the plans were refused by new Communities and Local Government Minister Ruth Kelly, because of the impact on the character and appearance of the historic environment and conservation area, and in particular the impact on the loss of public space in the park.

Tesco's application was refused :D:D:D

Fantastic :P

(and why didn't I know that already :? )

I just want to know where that money comes from when they are forever lowering prices and offering two for ones....somewhere in your shopping trolley you're getting stung!!!!!!

Haven't got time to read all the thread so sorry if it's all ready been covered, I did some Coursework on Tesco for business studies.

£1 in every £7.50 spent in britain's high streets is spent in Tesco.

Tesco make an averape of 1p in every £1 worth of item they sell! :shock:

£1 in every £7.50 spent in britain's high streets is spent in Tesco.

Not of my money it's not :twisted::twisted:

Avoid the place like the plague, well, more accurately go there incredibly rarely, and I am so lucky to have choice :D

But, they must be doing something right..... why the heck so so many people actively choose to go to Tesco :think: it's not the cheapest, it's not the best quality, it's not offering a particularly rewarding shopping experience.... unless you actually enjoy pushing wonky wheeled trolleys around overcrowded supermarkets :shock: I know there's loads of them, and that for some people it's the only local supermarket.... but I can't see why Tesco's is so much popular than Sainsbury's or Morrisons for example.

It's obviously an incredibly successful business which is highly effective at marketing and meeting customer demand :twisted::twisted:

But, they must be doing something right..... why the heck so so many people actively choose to go to Tesco :think: it's not the cheapest, it's not the best quality, it's not offering a particularly rewarding shopping experience.... unless you actually enjoy pushing wonky wheeled trolleys around overcrowded supermarkets :shock: I know there's loads of them, and that for some people it's the only local supermarket.... but I can't see why Tesco's is so much popular than Sainsbury's or Morrisons for example.

I have no choice really - no Sainsburys or Morrisons near me.

There is a Waitrose in Henley,but I would have to drive an extra 3 miles,pay for parking & endure the terrible Henley traffic,so I only go there once every couple of weeks.Tesco is convenient.

My Tesco is OK,not too crowded & a nice size,& I do quite enjoy shopping there :?

Although I am not a financial expert I am not keen on their policies in some cases. I don't feel qualified enough to rant about them,but I can see where they could make big improvements to their stores & general policies.

OK: I agree in principle with all of what you are saying. I live 8 miles from the nearest supermarket: Waitrose. I love it, and buy "nice" things from there, but simply refuse to pay over the odds for everyday branded products. I have a good range of small, local shops and where they are open (I work very long hours Monday to Friday) I use them, but most of the time it is simply impossible for me to do so.

My next nearest supermarket town is an 18 mile drive, and I can choose Tesco, Sainsbury's, Asda etc.

So, a round trip of 36 miles, just to do my weekly shop? Not exactly environmentally friendly or a good use of my valuable spare time!

No, I get a nice man from Tesco's to deliver it to me when he is in my area. Their organic range is improving, they are sourcing more and more from the UK, I can buy ethical products too. The choice they have is huge. The food miles I save by using Tesco direct is massive, when you consider that my little friendly man tells me that he does 20 or more drops in my area in one evening.

I'm not defending them, Their profits are truly shocking, and they do very little to put money back, apart from a few lousy vouchers for schools. But why should they? They are not a charity, they are a profit making organistation after all, its their aim!

At the end of the day it is about how much you are prepared to put yourself out to shop ethically. We on the forum are more aware and willing to do our bit than most, but generally speaking, people can and will only do what is convenient. That is the key word here. Convenient. Tesco have it pretty well wrapped up I am afraid.

We used to drive into Peterborough (15 miles) once a week to do our shopping at the big Tesco there but they started doing it up a few months ago and the chaos they caused put us right off shopping there. We now go to the little Somerfield just up the road and although they don't have so much choice and hardly any of their packaging is recyclable :twisted: we're far happier! We can get the shopping done in 10 minutes compared to the couple of hours it used to take to go over to Peterborough and shop plus we're spending a fraction of what we used to. We've just been round tonight and spent £33! We'll go to the market for fruit and vegetables on either Friday or Saturday and pop into the butchers for our meat and it's so much less hasslesome now!

One very good point in Tescos favour is that the vast majority of their packaging carries the recycle logo. That's the one thing I miss.

I agree Annie,its convenient,I shop at Morrisons and try and buy organic, I recycle and drive a small car I try and do my bit,and as I'm new to the forum I'm just finding out about all of you out there, and already I know you all do your bit, and I think thats all we can do, its probably not the right attitude but we have to look after our own little world or we would all be stressed and angry all the time :x well I won't go on anymore :oops:

I don't love 'em or hate 'em but from small beginnings they have created one hell of a successful company with its finger on the consumer pulse. All of their staff (I have come into contact with) seem happy to work there, and they get discounted shopping and profit share. If it wasn't Tesco at the top of the supermarket pile it would be someone else. Us consumers have a choice and if more of us are walking through Tescos doors than other shops, they must be doing something right.

I'm not defending them, Their profits are truly shocking, and they do very little to put money back, apart from a few lousy vouchers for schools. But why should they? They are not a charity, they are a profit making organistation after all, its their aim!

I can understand where you are coming from too Annie i don't drive and have spent most of my life living in the sticks....it just makes me cross that they are making so much profit on a necessity such as food :(