Have had my eglu with two happy ladies since December and we have always said we would like more birds. Now I see Eglu have a new one out for up to 4 chickens. Can it be true? Is my wish granted?

Can't find any information about it on the website, so can you let me know the dimensions of the new one, cost etc, etc? anyone??

I've got a new brochure (nosey you see) and the new Eglu sizes are:-

width at widest part of run (including skirt) - 155cm/5ft

width at Eglu - 80cm/2ft 8"

length including run - 300cm/9ft 10"

height at tallest part of run - 80cm/2ft 8"

height at Eglu - 70cm/2ft 4"

length of run - 220cm/7ft 2"

length of Eglu - 80cm/2ft 8"

Edited by Guest

I see that the latest eglu is suitable for more hens, bu are there any plans for bigger eglus? Chickens are addictive so a sort of sliding scale sizewize would be good - 4-6 birds, 6-8 birds etc etc!! Or different colours? I'm thinking of a bit more masculine/rustic??? Please don't laugh, the existing colours are great but they could be putting some people off?!? You could say I'm more Percy Thrower than Diarmud(?) Gavin! Just some thoughts.

I agree, I realy liked the yellow, and Phil thought that it was the best colour. Don't know what happenend to it.

I would say that fitting 4 chooks intothe mark 2 Eglu would be a bit of a tight squeeze unless they were bantams, still, would be cosy in the winter. But the run looks more or less the saem size and I think that it would be small for 4 birds.

Clare T

Hi there

About to purchase an Eglu and was wondering if there would be enough room for 3 birds in the Eglu. I have always wanted 3 chooks but would settle for 2 if there wasn't enough room

Cheers

Kate

The Eglu that they are selling at the moment will take 4 hens - it's the run which causes problems though as it's only big enough for 2 hens to live in permanently. The Eglu will take 4 easily though so long as they can free range for the day rather than stay cooped up in the run.

With chickens = £385

Without chickens = £350

I think a bigger run would be a good idea. The mark 2 is good as can hold 4 chickens, but if the run could hold 4 then that would be better.

Most people seem to like to free range or put chickens in their own pens, so I think there would be a market for a fox-proof pen or fencing so people could go to work, but allow the chickens some freedom in the garden. The fencing sold by omlet (unless I'm wrong) seems to be to keep chickens off the vegetable patch, rather than to give them some space to roam safely in the garden unsupervised.

We're spending a fortune trying to build a pen from chicken wire, but it is not fox, or in fact chicken proof at the moment. It would be good if Omlet could produce a larger pen, based round the run with skirting wire that you could rely on to be foxproof. I don't know if by creating something without a roof it makes it impossible to be foxproof?

If you're wondering why not you can't get Yellow any more, ask my husband, who wore a yellow t-shirt to Goodwood festival of speed last year.

You know that character from the Charlie Brown comic strip, the one with lots of flies around his head?

I rest my case.

Although my hens quite like flies, we are semi-rural, and black flies and thunderbugs are a problem without advertising fly heaven in the back garden as well.

:D Hi Helen, Was just thinking about you the other day, good to see you on the forum, and wish you all the best for 2006.

Yes, I know just what you mean about yellow. When the boys were little the 3 of us had souvenir T shirts given at a local festival. Hot, sunny day...T shirts covered in thunderflies :roll:

Oh, Chocchick, our hen garden cost a fortune to build ...but remember, chicken wire is not fox proof, it needs to be a much thicker wire. Of course, a roof then gets really expensive, but it does give peace of mind. Good luck!

Hmmm.... It would probably be hard, unless you use a template and spray cans.

How about a Camouflaged House. Or even a lovely little Egg and Chicken pattern.... Or follow in the footsteps of Nando's and spray little chicken feet all over it....

You know what, if I can a decent material that'll take intricate cutting, I might make some designs.... Use some Games Workshop spray (which should stick) and see what happens. All I need is an Eglu and a garden to put it in... Oh, and a coupla chooks.

I know nothing about chickens, so I would like to ask if there any particular reason why they only have one nesting spot?

Do the Chickens share it without giving eachother trouble?

Edited by Guest