beingmaisie

what age do cockerels start crowing

Oh no!

I have 3 Light Sussex cocks in my garden. They are only 5 weeks old, & have already started squaring up to each other :roll:

I really hope they delay crowing, as one day they will be my dinners, & I want them to get nice & fat first :drool:

I've got what I'm certain is a cockerel in my bunch, all the other behaviours and physical characteristics tally, but not a PEEP out of him at 17 weeks tomorrow, if fact he's utterly silent whereas even the babies make little chirruping noises to themselves. He's mostly light sussex and a bit miorcan and a bit I don't know...

I've got what I'm certain is a cockerel in my bunch, all the other behaviours and physical characteristics tally, but not a PEEP out of him at 17 weeks tomorrow, if fact he's utterly silent whereas even the babies make little chirruping noises to themselves. He's mostly light sussex and a bit miorcan and a bit I don't know...

If I was him I wouldnt want to show myself either :lol: best to act as a non egg laying freeloading hen :lol:

I had Frizzle bantams crowing at 9 weeks, all my other boys have crowed around 11/12 weeks. The four Marans I have just now are 9 weeks and already making practice noises. All my boys have been pure breeds so I don't think it makes a difference whether they're hybrids or pure breeds.

The darker of my two Marans chicks had a little practice today, actually three practices :shock: He is 8 weeks old tomorrow. I had hoped they would be silent until at least 18 weeks, or I may be in trouble with the neighbours (who all make loads of noise :evil: ).

Next year I will have to think about hatching in late Summer so the days are shorter whilst the chicks grow :?

I have 6 chicks at the moment they are 10 weeks old and one has been ‘crowing for almost 2 weeks now .. the chicks are bantam/polish cross. Although non of the others have started to crow yet; I believe I may have at least 2 more cockerels to régime