Paola

Rehoming advice =-(

I am moving overseas, which is fantastic but that part that is tearing me up is that I am going to have to re-home all of our animals :cry: I have found a home for the dog and possibly the chickens but am struggling to find homes for our 2 Maincoons :cry: Any advice is greatly appreciated. I simply refuse to give them to a charity to re-home.

The breeder I am buying my Maine Coon from sometimes re-homes MCs via her website.n She's in West Yorkshire.

Have you thought of contacting the breeder you bought yours from, or another near you, to see if they could help? Failing that, how about the Maine Coon breed society or local semi-longhaired cat club?

So exciting to be moving, but it must be hard to part with your pets. I hope you manage to find them loving homes.

My first port of call would be their original breeder - I always stipulate that kittens/cats should be brought back to me to rehome. It's never happened, but I would be more than happy to find one of my mob a new home and would hate the thought of someone struggling to rehome them.

The breed club for Maus runs a rhoming programme, probably worth investigating the Maine Coon club. I completely agree with you not wanting to contact a rescue centre, at least with them being Maine Coons, you'll probably have an easier time of rehoming them - heck, if I only had one cat, and was closer, I'd bite your hand off.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a home for two maine coons - there was someone at work in the identical situation (although she only had one) and using the small ads at work they were gone within days. Failing that a friend of mine has 6 cats, including a maine coon and a norwegian something or other - she's a devoted cat woman, I could always ask her - she travelled to somewhere daft like Manchester for her last cat!!

BeckyBoo

Have you realised your Italian dream? 8)

Bellekatz keeps Maine coons- she may be of help x

No, Singapore :shock: I would have taken them with us had it been Italy.

Thanks guys. I am going to try the breeder first and see what she suggests.

Sorry Paola - I did run it by OH and I just got a dirty look. I am so going to have to get rid of him. DD said "YES!" So I'm afraid it's a no from me too - Maine Coons long time favourite of mine. Why are the menfolk allergic to cats in my family?

Wow, Singapore - I too thought you might be off to Italy. Well it will be warmer than here, that's for sure. I will miss all your weeeeeing. :(

But I hope it all works out well for you. :D You will check in on us from time to time won't you?

Sorry Paola - I did run it by OH and I just got a dirty look. I am so going to have to get rid of him. DD said "YES!" So I'm afraid it's a no from me too - Maine Coons long time favourite of mine. Why are the menfolk allergic to cats in my family?

Wow, Singapore - I too thought you might be off to Italy. Well it will be warmer than here, that's for sure. I will miss all your weeeeeing. :(

But I hope it all works out well for you. :D You will check in on us from time to time won't you?

Thats ok, I appreciate you having a go :D

Who said that anything about me leaving the forum, you cannot get rid of me that easily :wink:

good luck with re-homing your pets. if you do use private adds take care. i had to re-home a king charles cavelier a few years ago as he was not good with seperation and i was starting work full time. the phone nearly rang off the hook! i prepared a list of questions and invited some callers to visit and took afew days to make a selection. if the possible new owners are genuine they will understand your caution.

good luck and hope the move goes well

Good luck with your move Paola! I would try the breeder first - most will take them back for reasons like that, If not, then The Maine coon Cat club has a rescue and rehome service - My friend is Chairman so I could have a word with her if you wanted. Let me know.( may even be tempted myself :whistle::whistle: )

They're really beautiful. So not fair. I also asked mum but she decided she was too old and was worried about vet bills for the future, so no hope there either. No point in asking the inlaws - they are hardly in the country and MIL isn't keen on cats (no taste - she doesn't like chickens either - or perhaps it is just my pets).

Good luck with your move, and do stay on the forum.

If I didn't already have two cats, one of whom is proving to be a bit psychotic, I'd bite your hand off as well!

I am sure you will be able to find a loving home for them - it must be very hard indeed to give them up, but someone will be very keen to take on such beautiful pusscats.

Unfortunately I have WAY too many animals already but they are lovely. If you have any trouble re-homing (and they are okay with dogs) then I'm sure I could foster them whilst finding them new homes if the time comes and you are no closer to new homes. Although its obviously not ideal for the cats!

Sorry Paola - I did run it by OH and I just got a dirty look. I am so going to have to get rid of him.

I did the same with the same result :(:(

I might keep him in the shed just to do the odd job round the house though :wink:

My neighbour offered to have Azlan as he is such a character but the lady is allergic to male cats so her OH said that she could live in the garage so that Azlan could move in :oops::lol::lol::lol::lol:

..Just a thought but I can post a notice at work as many cat lovers and fairly local, I would but bad cat allergy myself.. if you drop me some wording I'll post on electronic bulletin board asap..

By the way have you sorted the horses? and do let me know if any of the chicken homes fall through as can help there if needed.

Lou