Lesley

What have you cooked today?

Baked a sponge cake late last night (James Martins Grandmothers one on the BBC food website) and used the duck eggs. Looks lovely and light. Not tried any yet, but will have some later, but from the look and the feel I think it's going to be a good 'un. I am converted to duck eggs, especially for baking :)

I've made my own healthy chicken curry, korma style. I have to say style as nothing as fattening as usual, the sauce was based on lentils to give the right consistency and slow cooked.

It was such a winner my husband said it was nicer than a takeaway. I was thinking about putting it in the healthy quick thread because although the chicken takes it over budget there was enough for 6 portions and just think what a take away would cost money both financially and fat wise.

After watching the last episode of Comic Relief Great Britsh Bake Off, ES and I have made a lemon meringue pie today.

Not a soggy bottom in sight :lol::D

We decided we were going to make a main course that suitably justified the dessert so made Boggis' Chicken. From this book. (For anyone who doesn't know the story of Fantastic Mr Fox, Boggis was a chicken farmer who ate boiled chicken and dumplings for every meal)

It was definitely delicious. And ES now knows how to make proper chicken stock, roux sauce and dumplaings. He'll soon be 13 so I want him to be able to cook for himself by the time he is old enough to spread his wings :D

You know me and my lemon needs, I followed a Mary Berry recipe which called for 2 large lemons, I decided ours weren't exactly large so used 3. Our mouths certainly tingled :D

I hate eating something which says it is lemon something or other but you'd think it had only ever had a lemon wafted in front of it rather than have it actually in the ingredients :roll::lol:

Today I made Dan Lepard's Peanut butter cookies.

I melted a little dark chocolate and drizzled this over the top once they were cooled. They are delicious. Even ES who doesn't like peanut butter made his disappear in double-quick time.

The recipe is from Short and Sweet which has become my baking bible. It is fantastic.

Bookmarked both - they sound very good. I like his approach to baking in that you start with basics and then add what you have. My way of cooking :D

Made a lovely, what's in the fridge pasta bake the other night. I mixed lightly cooked pasta with cooked smoked gammon, left over cauliflower cheese a little cream and some softened leeks then topped with sliced tomatoes and some tiny peppers which we bought reduced and wanted to try and then cooked until toasty on top :drool:

I also did my lovely boiled fruit cake which I haven't made for about 6 months, just as yummy as I remember. :D

Today I made Dan Lepard's Peanut butter cookies.

I melted a little dark chocolate and drizzled this over the top once they were cooled. They are delicious. Even ES who doesn't like peanut butter made his disappear in double-quick time.

The recipe is from Short and Sweet which has become my baking bible. It is fantastic.

Bookmarked both - they sound very good. I like his approach to baking in that you start with basics and then add what you have. My way of cooking :D

Just made a batch of these. Oh my word! Easy peasy and Delish! I put half a monkey nut on top before baking which worked out well. I must get this book now :lol: