Lesley

What have you cooked today?

I've had a really busy few days cooking-it's been a lot of fun! On Saturday I made Purple Sprouting Brocolli, goats cheese and Parmesan Galette for dinner and I made 2 cheesecakes to take with Anglican Society for Sunday. Then yesterday I made vegetarian tortilla wraps for everyone at AngSoc, which were filled with tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms, sweetcorn and kidney beans, topped with cheese, and served with rice. These all went down very well, especially with the cheesecake too!

Now, I'd like to take credit for making cheesecake-but it was just Green's packet mix from Waitrose! :lol: But it does taste yummy! :D

Then I made bread on Sunday afternoon, leaving it to prove whilst I was out and came back and shaped it into rolls when I got back to then rise overnight in the kitchen-then had fresh bread for breakfast! Yummy! You can definitely tell I've finished exams can't you!

No calories in crumbs :wink:

We had a lovely meal last night of new potatoes, cauliflower, broad beans and spinach from the allotment, with onions,garlic, chorizo, bacon, prawns and paprika, all fried up together. It was yum. We pre cooked the potatoes, beans and cauliflower.

A similar thing again tonight me thinks, but maybe I will have to take out a portion for DS before I add the prawn this time, because they were tiny and he had all sorts of trouble picking them out. :roll:

I had a bit of a domestic goddess day yesterday. I made two loaves of bread, little raspberry, lemon drizzle cakes, freezer biscuit mix, not baked any yet. I also prepared all of the veg for another chorizo and veg fry up which we had with smoked haddock last night. I also hard boiled quite a few eggs for sandwiches for the rest of the week.

Love lemon curd :drool:

Yesterday I made, one whole meal and one white loaf, pea and parsley soup, cooked some of our own beetroot and then sliced them into a marinade made from lemon juice, olive oil, and a large pinch each of paprika, cumin, and cinnamon, it was delicious. I also made some lavender ice cream, not very strongly flavoured but lovely all the same. :D

Mousakaish, made from loads of veg, and beef mince with sliced aubergines on top which had been previously oiled and roasted in the oven until just tender then the whole lot was topped with a mix of egg, yoghurt, and mascarpone and a final topping of cheese and breadcrumbs, it was yummy, not bad for a use up everything in the fridge meal.

Veg used as follows, 2.5 peppers, about 400g of courgette, a large turnip, 2 large carrots, 2 large onions, 3 garlic cloves, and 2 large aubergines with a tin of tomatoes, not got a glut of them yet.

Meal was then served with home grown French beans tossed in garlic butter. :drool: and still have 4 portions for the freezer. :D

I can't believe "Ooops, word censored!"ody has made anything since September :lol:

Today I've made beetroot and cumin soup, and persimmon and banana cookies :D

I am also making a Portuguese stew. Its made with short pork spare ribs (ie ribs cut in half so they are about 3 inches long), so mostly bone but with very good flavour to the meat, which you marinade in a couple of tablespoons of vinegar and enough water to cover with some dried herbs of your choice overnight. Then just cook it gently for a couple of hours till the meat falls from the bones (no need to brown the meat and traditionally nothing else is added, so no onion or carrot or anything, but you obviously could) and serve with mashed potato to soak up the juices and a green veg. I know it probably sounds revolting but its really tasty :D The vinegar comes through as a sort of tang, a depth of flavour, but its not sour. You can't serve it for anything posh though, as there is a lot of picking up of bones and gnawing :lol:

Its also incredibly cheap :angel:

I just made my Christmas cake today :D

My kitchen smells delicious.

I put my dried fruits to soak overnight in a mix of Italian orange liqueur and my homemade cherry brandy (both smell nice together so hope they will taste alright) ready to bake in the cake at the weekend. I also made an apple and walnut cake (Delia recipe) but with sultanas instead of dates. Looks good so hope it tastes good. Find out tomorrow :D

Aha, Chickencan, I know what you mean about talking to yourself, so I gave up. Now if someone is out there, here goes.....really really delicious, Nigella's Mexican scrambled eggs, used 6 eggs, not enough for my family of 4, will double the recipe next time link [urlhttp://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/mexican-scrambled-eggs-27][/url] I used onion and ketchup as no tomato, think a blob of tom puree would be better though... and just made some cheese straws (BBC good food website) very easy and delicious. Also made choc chip muffins and about to get onto some bruschetta. YUM!!

Today, I have been only making....olives :lol: Bit of a cheat as there is no cooking involved, just discarding bruised ones and making a slit in all the good ones. Then you stick them in an acidulated brine, wait several months.....and then throw them away :lol: Lets hope they are edible, but I'm not holding my breath :roll: