Lesley

What have you cooked today?

:D I have to say picking your own lemons is one of the biggest thrills of all the things I can think of about living in another country. We can pick them 12 months of the year. They don't taste any better than a shop bought lemon, its just knowing they are ours :D I'm not that adventurous with them, but we probably use 3-4 a week, mostly in salad dressings and to tenderise barbecue meat and fish, plus the odd G&T and cake or biscuit. I remember reading years ago that lemons were introduced in Elizabeth I reign, and each one cost 6d, a small fortune.

In fact, we are a couple of miles from a serious lemon grove, with hundreds of trees and tens of thousands of lemons. Its quite high in the hills, I've spent my life thinking lemons only grew on hot plains, but obviously not! The land round about is quite inhospitable so olives and citrus are planted in terraces on the hillside, the retaining walls are beautiful - dry stone walls made of yellow sandstone 8) . The lemon grove is for sale - and at a bargain price :roll:

Tonight's dinner was complemented by a gift of oranges from a neighbour for pud, and OH decided to make some flapjacks, scented with the orange zest, as a reward for all our hard work in the garden today as an extra pud whilst the oven was on 8)

Yesterday I did a ham boiled in cherry Pepsi! with an onion, bay leaves and a couple of star anise added. Was delicious. The kids and OH had it with chips, pineapple and egg and I had a sarnie as I had a huge lunch with my best friend. Today the kids had the ham in sarnie a for school lunch and the remaining slice I used in a ham and pea soup, with added mint. Very very tasty, never made it before but is now added to my soup repertoire :D

Ham, pea and mint :D That's a new one on me too, I can imagine the mint 'lightens' the whole thing and makes it a bit more Spring like, rather than a winter warmer. If I remember I will give it a go next time we have a ham, which is likely to be when we are back in the UK, they don't seem to sell them here.

Tonight we are having 'Mediterranean' veg roasted with a bit of black pud, and couscous/chickpeas mixed together for the starch, and some more lettuce.

I am also soaking some bacalau (salt cod) ready for cooking in the oven tomorrow when I shall mix it with some julienned spuds and sliced onion. Its sort of a cross between fishy bubble and squeak and a glorified latke :D

Yum - one of my favourites :D

OH has had an upset tum so has been on a toast diet for a few days, but feels that this evening he'd be able to face some 'chicken rice' (imagine rather feeble voice) :roll:

I'm going to have rather more interesting spicy prawn rice :lol:

This morning OH made some goulash soup with a bit of beef that was tough. In fact he said he thought it must have died a natural death (old age) rather than an unnatural one :lol:

I have made some bread pud to try to get rid of the stale bread mountain in our kitchen and later I shall be making chicken escalopes to get rid of some more of them :D

Vegetable and lentil soup, quiche and mince and potatoes in slow cooker. Some pastry left over put into muffin tins and made small quiches for lunches this week - they are quite cute. Some of the mince and potatoes has gone into the freezer in boxes - I am going on holiday for 3 weeks and my husband will have 21 days food in the freezer - I just cook extra every week till I have enough = think I am almost there already - he must be spoilt!!

My first ever Mary Berrys Queen of Puddings is currently in the oven. Smells amazing! The custard seemed to set perfectly with no cracks (despite my oven packing up halfway through, but thankfully just a fuse) the jam spread beautifully (jarred and not homemade, but hey ho!) and the meringue is super glossy and very voluminous! See how it comes out in about 10 minutes - can't wait :drool:

Shirred eggs are just baked; shirred is a word lost somewhere in ye olde English. Take a ramekin or ovenproof dish, butter the sides and bottom, snip herbs into dish, crack eggs over herbs, add a tablespoon or two of cram, cover with a bit of cheese, bake till yolks reach required done-ness. Eat with toast soldiers (I had croissants with it). There are a thousand variations: without cream, different cheeses, add mushroom, or bacon, or ham, or avocado, or....

Great use of eggs!

Currently have a Simnel cake in the oven. This is the cake recipe

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3474/simple-simnel-cake

with chopped dates, cranberries, mixed peel, sultanas for the mixed fruit.

I have even made marzipan to go in the middle and the top, this recipe

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/almond-icing.html

I never realised that marzipan had an egg in it! I never even knew how it was made, so something new learnt today :D

Let's hope it turns out ok :anxious:

I'm feeling homesick, save some cake for me :(

Nothing remotely Easterish being cooked in this house, although I have witnessed vast feasts being bought at the meat counter of the local supermarket, and when I say vast, I mean vast! I think these ladies must have been catering for a village fete, I stopped counting after 2 sides of pork, all the chops in the shop, 4 chickens, and 2 kgs of beef slices and another 2kg of pork slices.... :D

OH has made brandade de morue (a French way with salt cod and mashed potato) so at least we are eating the national dish of Portugal in some form and he made flapjacks this morning for a sweet treat :D No sign of an Easter egg tho :lol: