Lesley

What have you cooked today?

Trying to move the fruit mountain which has appeared in the garden and on the table, yesterday I made a batch of peach jam and last night we had pork chops fried with a bit of onion, garlic and some sliced under-ripe peaches, then popped in the oven with some added water and a dash of vinegar to finish cooking and provide a gravy. In fact this meal had baked potatoes and a wodge of kale-type greens served with it - first autumnal meal of the year :D

This morning I have made some spiced plum sauce - I thought it would turn out thick, but its thin, more of a dipping sauce.

Yesterday I made a coffee, walnut and sultana loaf and a millionaires shortbread. I think I may have cooked the caramel for a wee bit too long as it is on the firm side :wink: A bonus in that it didn't melt apart in the kids lunch boxes today, but straight from the fridge ......let's says not for those with loose teeth. Then again, being so hard, I had to eat my bit very slowly :lol:

Inspired by some talk of pumpkins in another thread I bought half of one at a market yesterday and we had roast pumpkin/garlic and pepper with feta cheese on top, and a bit of toast spread with the juices and chicken fat I'd used to roast the veg on it for some extra carb, with a pile of turnip tops as the greens.

There is still loads of pumpkin which I can't fact today so tomorrow I'll make it into a risotto. Tonight is going to be home made pesto with a bit of chicken breast for some protein, and a salad :D

Which bread recipe did you use? OH keeps threatening to make another sour dough starter, but hasn't. Its a 30 min round trip for a loaf so we do use the breadmaker quite often, but I prefer oven baked bread.

:D It looks really professional. I will try it out and see.

We aren't having pesto and chicken :( Its pouring with rain so I don't feel like a pesto and the chicken has turned out to be a pork fillet. You never know what you are going to find in a freezer do you :lol:

Last month, we went to Manchester House. A fine dining restaurant in the centre of Manchester.

We had the taster menu at the time and the stand out course for us was the white chocolate and truffle risotto with pan seared scallops.

Well, I managed to get a second hand copy of the head chefs recipe book and it was in there :dance:

So tonight I made it:

169905c47639df495d18ad134f32e8d5_zps12dd90c2.jpg

Very delicious, but also very rich. And not a cheap dinner either as blinking heck, truffles are eyewateringly expensive :shock:

Very delicious, but also very rich. And not a cheap dinner either as blinking heck, truffles are eyewateringly expensive :shock:

I've only had truffles once and I was not that impressed. Are they the 'Emperors new clothes' of food, or am I just not getting them.

Plate looks amazing though. I very impressed, and jealous, and now feeling just a little hungry.