Lesley

What have you cooked today?

Profiteroles for the first time, so easy and delicious. Though what to do with the left overs as they will go soggy....so far I've open frozen them and going to serve them frozen with a warm chocolate sauce on top. Any other ideas? I used the BBC recipe on the good food [http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1162666/mums-best-profiteroles]

Left over profiteroles mmm...not sure I understand :wink:

We had roast pheasant, roast Cyprus spuds, and baked spiced cabbage last night to use the oven. Tonight it will be something with the stock, probably risotto.

As far as marmalade is concerned, I have the answer, move next door to 2 marmalade making enthusiasts and eat theirs :lol: Sometimes I feel a bit like Brucey 'Yours is my favourite' 'Oh no, yours is my favourite' :lol:

Profiteroles for the first time, so easy and delicious. Though what to do with the left overs as they will go soggy....so far I've open frozen them and going to serve them frozen with a warm chocolate sauce on top. Any other ideas? I used the BBC recipe on the good food [http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1162666/mums-best-profiteroles]

Left over profiteroles mmm...not sure I understand :wink:

A misnomer if ever I heard one. A bit like left over wine (whatever That is!) :wink:

Yes, brilliant idea! Wish I had some marmalade-making enthusiasts living nearby. Have to say, though, I've made 22 jars and hope this will last me a couple of years! First batch was a rich orange colour and the second batch (made with dark muscovado sugar and a splash of brandy) came out a warm auburn colour. 8)

They do look great - well beyond my patience as well (and capabilities!)

Today I will be mostly slow cooking a gammon joint, to have with mashed potato and a green veg. After my last post about everything I'd cooked in the oven to maximise using it......the next day the heating element refused to work and tripped the electrics in the whole house :shock:

New oven arriving today, but will be awaiting a man to fit it :lol:

After my last post we have had a day of Imogen, so no electrics for quite a bit of the day. Then the oven wouldn't fit in the alloted space, it came without any lead whatsoever, so OH and neighbour had to cannibalise the old oven, and it was all fitted with star screws (whatever they are) which aren't your regular screws apparently, and which cause language :lol:

I am beginning to think that I either won't cook or won't post again, although dinner was passable, despite being boiled at one stage as there wasn't enough time left for a slow cook :roll:

On the plus side, the new oven seems to have a pizza setting :D Although for obvious reasons I haven't dared switch it on :D

After my last post we have had a day of Imogen, so no electrics for quite a bit of the day. Then the oven wouldn't fit in the alloted space, it came without any lead whatsoever, so OH and neighbour had to cannibalise the old oven, and it was all fitted with star screws (whatever they are) which aren't your regular screws apparently, and which cause language :lol:

I am beginning to think that I either won't cook or won't post again, although dinner was passable, despite being boiled at one stage as there wasn't enough time left for a slow cook :roll:

On the plus side, the new oven seems to have a pizza setting :D Although for obvious reasons I haven't dared switch it on :D

Bet you will love the new oven eventually - the new ones do not come with a lead for a good reason as all electric cookers are SUPPOSED to have a qualified electrician fit them in - my OH had to get our lead from an electrician who let us do it too but that is why. I wonder what the pizza setting is like?

Well, I'm not sure what the pizza setting was all about - the oven set itself to 200 (we normally have it on 220 for the base); and we ended up with a slightly overcooked pizza (got rid of some of the weird ham though) as we were mentally compensating for the lack of heat, but I guess that's to be expected as you get used to an oven. Another lesson learnt is that low fat mozza (bought by accident) has a weird rubbery texture and doesn't melt properly.

Couldn't face the pancakes though :oops:

Tonight its fried salmon, flaked into some rice, avocado, cucumber and seaweed, as a warm salad. This started off as a real, sensible recipe, back in the mists of time, you dress the rice with rice vinegar and miso, but its become a weekday short-cut no-effort, staple, dressed with ordinary vinegar and soy :lol:

I bought OH some smoked seaweed as part of a food parcel for Xmas - it was delicious. I'd never seen it before, I bought it in a farm shop (not a seaweed farm!), it makes an excellent nibble that I hope is lower in fat/calories than my usual crisp :D