Lesley

What have you cooked today?

I bought OH some smoked seaweed as part of a food parcel for Xmas - it was delicious. I'd never seen it before, I bought it in a farm shop (not a seaweed farm!), it makes an excellent nibble that I hope is lower in fat/calories than my usual crisp :D

Seaweed butter is really nice too but only ever had it once and never seen it since :(

I've got a glut of eggs at the moment, so I made a batch of lemon curd this morning. Mixed most of it with some greek yoghurt and I'm making ice cream with it :D

It's in the (very noisy :roll:) ice cream machine at the moment. I'm going to ripple the rest of the lemon curd through it before it goes in the freezer.

Just made some ginger fudge sauce to have with it... yum.

Going to try and be a good girl and not eat any before this evening :whistle:

Well, whilst you are all basking in sun, its rubbish weather in Portugal :( So yesterday we cooked slow roast shoulder of pork (bone in, I think maybe this is blade of pork?) with a garlic and fennel rub. Today I made leftovers into a stir fry with lemon juice and mint, with rice and veggies. Tomorrow it will reappear as something else :lol:

I have just made a butternut squash gratin. It was surprisingly nice. I had 2 squashes and I didn't fancy making soup so I chopped them and steamed for 10 mins and put in gratin dish. Cooked two chopped onions and 2 crushed garlic cloves in 2 oz butter,mixed into squash. Plenty of seasoning,sliced goats cheese on top and into oven for 10 mins.

For breakfast this morning I made a fluffy omelette (mixed a bit of milk into the yolks, whipped the whites, folded whites into yolks) which I had with a handful of blueberries (heated until they burst and added a tiny squeeze if honey) and a spoonful of fat free yoghurt. Absolutely yummy - felt really bad for me when actually it's the opposite :D

Just had a go at candied nuts. I may have scoffed too many. :oops:

I was trying something to take as an energy nibble for our long walks. I seem to have hubby's approval. Not as healthy as his fruit leather, different to flapjacks but a sugary cinnamon delight. A really good idea for Christmas presents too.

Nothing wrong with that :D

Today we have cooked some prawns and served with homemade mayo, home grown lettuce and toms, and then bought strawberries :D We also bought HALF a water melon this morning, which was grown about an hour away in one the hottest parts of Portugal, which makes no sense to me. Anyway, it weighed over 5kg :shock:

I have also managed to use a dozen homegrown lemons, which is less to do with smugness and more to do with desperation, they are a huge glut. I've made lemonade and lemon ice cubes.....to go in gin :D I also used one in the finger bowls for the prawns :lol:

Had a cooking session this weekend having actually been enjoying a whole 2 days off!

Tried out another recipe from my lovely Leon cookery book; brocolli with flageolet beans, then I made some plum jam with foraged plums (I think I may well have overcooked it, but fortunately it's a relatively small batch, and I'm sure it will eat ok-if not, it's only cost me the sugar to make!). Made up more muesli this morning; jumbo oats, barley flakes and rye flakes, with dates, raisins and sunflower seeds. Then I made up some hummus.

Ubereglu is that book Leon fast vegetarian. I use Deliciously Ella, would you recommend Leon? Am always on lookout out for good veggie books.

It's Leon 'Naturally Fast Food' Book2, it's not a veggie book, as there are several meat recipes, but in the most part there are a lot of veggie things in it, and I've been impressed with what I've cooked from it. I also really like 'The Abel and Cole Veg Box Companion', as this too is not strictly vegetarian, but the majority of the recipes are. It's got quite simple recipes, but gives lots of ideas about which food combinations go well together.

We were given 2 dozen eggs in the week (2 sets of neighbours' hens all producing :D )

So far we have had 2 x 6 egg courgette/mushroom frittatas, but I am banning eggs for a few days :lol: Yesterday I roasted a chicken (the legs and feet had thoughtfully been put in the cavity), and today we are having vegetable soup in the stock for lunch and tomato/chorizo sauce on pasta tonight.