Lesley

What have you cooked today?

Lets hope so :wink:

This evening I made Stovies for dinner. I had some left over silverside which pot roasted on Saturday when we had some good friends over for dinner. I'd never made them before, but think I'd heard of them even though I didn't know what a stovie was. Well, I can tell you they are tasty! I followed the recipe below, doubling up everything apart from the beef as we only had just over the amount in the recipe, but actually that was plenty. I did some fresh veggies with it just in case and it went down very well with all. Even picky daughter :wink:

http://britishfood.about.com/od/maincour3/r/Scottish-Recipes-Traditional-Stovies-Recipe.htm

REALLY nice microwaved blackberry sponge pudding. Was one of the lightest sponge puddings I've ever had. Handful of frozen blackberries in a microwaveable bowl. Then mixed together half an egg (a whole one of my girls eggs would have been perfect but no such luck - bunch of freeloaders :wink: ), an ounce each of SR flour, caster sugar and flora, and a tbsp of milk. Put the sponge mix on the blackberries and microwaved on high for 2 mins, then left to stand for as long as it took to make instant custard. Yum yum.

This time last year my big sister was very poorly and spent three weeks in hospital, some of that time in intensive care. :cry: Christmas and birthday went past her. :shock: so with the help of her daughter we are giving her a surprise party tonight. :) I've made today a huge vegetarian lasagne, vegetarian croix, asparagus quich, coleslaw and there is pulled pork slow cooking in the oven ATM. :D

I bet the pork is smelling good!

Got one of our favourites tonight, smoked haddock bake. It's smoked haddock mixed with spinach, creme fraiche, a little bit of cooked bacon or pancetta, a good bit of black pepper, baked for about 10 mins covered in foil, then a well made and egg cracked in and some strong cheddar sprinkled over the top and back in the oven for 10 mins. Served with bread to scoop it all up with.

Easy dinner tonight - slice spuds, sprinkle with pepper and cook in oil in oven for about 45 mins at approx 200. Put 2 salmon fillets on top and bake for another 10 mins or so till done. At the same time cook a green veg of your choice - we're having my favourite - kale.

Tomorrow I shall make Saturday's roast boned shoulder of pork leftovers into a porky hash. We've already had sweet and sour pork with the best bits of leftovers :D

Finally made our Christmas pudding, it will be like the rest of the family.....very immature :lol:

Just remembered that I wanted to recommend the pudding that I made for Christmas just gone. It was from Pippa Middleton's book Celebrate. I rolled my eyes when OH bought this book from a charity shop and agreed with the assistant when she sneeringly said 'I bet she can't even boil an egg'. We have made several things from this book and they have all been delicious.

I actually came in here though to say, yesterday lunchtime, I had my first boiled egg of the season and jolly nice it was too. I don't begrudge my ladies a holiday, but I am very happy when they start giving me lovely eggs again :D

Somehow we ended up with 4 Xmas puddings in the house this year :roll::lol:

I haven't had my chooks for getting on for 2 years now and I do miss them :( I don't feel that I've eaten a decent boiled egg in all that time :( However, I bought some eggs from a local rescue farm, they are a beautiful mix of colours which I never achieved with my lot as they all produced tinted eggs except the bantams. The good news is that OH poached some at the weekend and said they were nearly as good as ours so I am hopeful :D

Yesterday we had cottage pie made out of some leftover chili from the day before. Today I am going to pot roast a pheasant and then use the carcass for stock and make a sort-of risotto tomorrow.

I made this today for our dinner. Went down very well :D I saw it at the weekend on Saturday Kitchen, or the Sunday version and thought it looked good. Even ED who doesn't really like pasta ate all her portion :dance: I think I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't have this blasted cold as everything is tasteless :cry:

http://eattherightstuff.squarespace.com/blog/2007/11/7/pastitsio-a-taste-of-corfu.html

Pretty much, but with a cinnamon hint. Well, it was a hint to me :wink: I didn't add the clove as I hate it, and I used mushrooms instead of celery and had to top up the red wine quota with port. I think it's a lovely trick with mixing the pasta with some of the sauce plus cheese and eggs and then topping the whole thing with sauce.

Another easy/cheap staple for dinner. Make jacket spuds. Whilst they are cooking mix together some smoked mackeral (I use most/all of a packet for two - sometimes I use it all in 3 spuds and reheat next day), a dollop or two of natural yogurt, a couple of chopped spring onions, S&P. When spuds are done, scoop out the potato and mix in with the above and top with a bit of grated cheese if desired and put back in the skin. Back in oven for 10 mins to grill cheese. Eat with salad or green veg :D

That sounds lovely :D

Last night we had pizza bianchi (ie slowly cooked onions as the top rather than tomatoes) with olives and anchovies. This morning I have made 3 jars of cherry jam out of one kilo of stoned cherries. I am also wearing an interesting Jackson Pollack type cream and purple T-shirt :lol: Tonight we are having a beef rib cooked on the barbie with salad and new spuds to continue using up my mint glut :D I may experiment making mint and choc chip ice-cream :D