Lesley

What have you cooked today?

Last night I made more lemon cake this times as butterfly cakes. I had left over frosting and lemon curd, so I took them into the office as my birthday offering. We were away a couple of weeks ago when it was my birthday and have had another office birthday since. This time of year is bad for the waist line :roll:

I got so many compliments on the fluffiness of my cakes, I have to thank my feathered friends. :D

Just made Granola. Recipe from the Good Food site. Never made Granola before. It is delicious and might never make it into the jar as I cant stop nibbling it :D

Also made a quiche, Chocolate ice cream and a loaf of bread.

Have been tempted to make granola myself :D

Today, with an egg glut and a temper (work related!) I decided to make pastry!

I made 5 quiche and 12 lemon tarts (small ones using Poet's (RIP) recipe!)

We had one quiche for tea, although hubby enjoyed it so much he had a quarter of another one too :shock: We will finish that one for packed lunch tomorrow. I have frozen the other three and have frozen half of the lemon tarts :D

Although 14 eggs used, and we still have 24 :shock: I won't sell them as they girls were on Tylan until Friday and even though it says no egg withdrawal I'm not taking the chance for anyone apart from hubby and I :wink:

We will probably make some pasta balls, and I'll start selling eggs from the weekend again :lol:

I feel your pain, we had 48 eggs at one point this week. Eggs for most meals and hubby made a coffe and walnut cake from the Silver Spoon book that used 5 eggs but he used 6, pretty much a fat less sponge, very tasty. :D

Ham and egg pie tonight.

How well does quiche freeze, I always thought that it wouldn't?

Quiches it is then :D

I have 8 hens at the moment and quite often get 8 eggs which is impressive because one of the hens is a7 year old pure breed Light Sussex, she still lays lovely eggs with huge yolks. Doesn't half make a song and dance about it though quite often at 5.30am :roll:

4 made it to the freezer, so not bad :lol:

We had a lovely stir fry cooked on the camping gas stove in the garden on Saturday, and OH made a stuffed pork tenderloin for tea tonight. It was stuffed with chopped courgette, onion, fennel and celery, mixed with herbs and mustard, very tasty. :D

Made some meringues to have filled with passion fruit and cream since the passion fruits finally ripened (bought them before Easter!) and with the yolks I made mayonnaise, Jamie Oliver recipe which has worked perfectly twice.

Also made Souvlakia for the BBQ this afternoon (it's a Greek marinated pork or lamb dish which is really easy and very tasty).

Made my usual lemon drizzle (weighed eggs and did equal amounts flour, butter and sugar) but did 4 eggs this time and put the mixture in a bundt tin. Once cooked, I turned out onto a plate and drizzled over the lemon syrup. Looks really lovely and a change from the loaf tin I usually do :D

I made my first ever Gluten Free Chocolate cake yesterday to take to my Coeliac friend who has just lost her Mum :( Cake turned out a treat though and my friend was delighted.

I am currently churning some diabetic sugar free coffee ice cream - another first!

And later I'll be doing my weekend usual of hand rolling penne for pasta bakes :lol: we always have one on the weekend and pop some in the freezer for busier weekends!!

Attempted to make cherry jam with cherries picked from neighbour (he is a cherry farmer with 80 trees :shock: ). Unfortunately I chose to follow a recipe which I now know had 3 times as much water added to it as some others, so naturally it failed to set :roll: I strained off the excess liquid to make cherry 'cordial' and the re-boiled just a bit of the liquid with the fruit to make what I can only describe as 'cherry sludge' :shock: Its going to be OK on muesli or mixed with yogurt, but until somebody designs toast with sides, it won't be staying on any bread any time soon :lol:

Added to which I look like I've been starring in a Scandy crime drama - I de-pipped 1kg of cherries by hand :lol:

We have just one fruit-bearing cherry tree in our own garden but luckily we are in the midst of a cherry region - they are everywhere, just growing by the road and in small and large orchards. They are so cheap here 2 euros 50 cents for 1kg, so you can experiment with cooking them instead of just stuffing them in :lol: last year I made some cherry wine. We've noticed this year that crops are heavier than last year and there are a vast amount of double cherries. We are also lucky enough to be able to sample a wide range of varieties as the season goes on from deep purple right through to yellow and then white cherries (which come later) :D

Today's supper will be roasted tomato sauce on pasta, with smoked garlic and a bit of chorizo :D