Lesley

What have you cooked today?

Sounds yummy :D

We cooked a half shoulder of lamb in merguez spices from HFW River Cottage Everyday, for Sunday lunch yesterday. We only cooked it for 4 hours not the 6 he recommended, because it was already falling off the bone, after that time, but his recipe was for a whole shoulder. I have never seen the bones come out of a piece of meat so clean.

It was so tasty and even my OH who seems to have gone off lamb recently said it was delicious :D

I served it will roast home grown butternut squash, carrots, onion and beetroot. This was followed by poached home grown pears in a syrup flavoured with cloves, lemon and star anise. :D

The best Xmas lunch I ever had was a slow roast shoulder of hogget, cooked in wood fired oven. Getting hold of some hogget is virtually at the top of my 'must eat' list when we are back in the UK :D How lovely to have a meal made up virtually all of your own produce :D

And one Xmas my brother bought the rest of the family our very own truffle - I do like it, but I can't say I'm completely bowled over by the flavour. Having said that, truffle, scallop, risotto rice - what's not to like 8)

Back down to earth, tonight we are having pesto pasta with home grown basil :D

Liz, that sounds gorgeous :D

Daphne, hogget is delicious but it's getting harder to get now, even from our local farmers and free range butcher :( we do get the most amazing salt marsh lamb :drool:

Today's tea was far less exotic, we had slow cooked Ox cheek yesterday for our Sunday roast, had some in our sandwiches today and the last of it went into a spicy saag style (although allotment kale rather than spinach) curry tonight with cauliflower "rice" and homemade naan bread (which I Made a batch of yesterday) :D

Is Manchester House Aiden Byrne's place? He has a restaurant/pub not that far from us, been a couple of times and food has always been lovely. What's his recipe book like?

I think I've finally cracked the crispy chicken wing. I have a real soft spot for chicken wings but wont get them from the takeaway as we only eat FR, earlier attempts at homemade versions just don't live up.

A cornflour batter made with chinese cooking wine, white pepper, black pepper, garlic granules, onion salt and sea salt, leave the wings in whilst heating up some oil and then fry until crispy and golden. Quite addictive.

I tried to post a picture but got too cross with photobucket! On the outside it looked just like the picture and smelt amazing - like pain au chocolat. Mr Hollywood would have said it was underbaked though as the bottom half was a bit stodgy.

Tasted good though so I was pretty happy with it as a first effort.

I have just made a lasagne, but not the usual one. I used 750g pork mince fried over a high heat to get some flavour. I another pan softened 3 sliced leeks in butter/olive oil mix, then added to the mince along with 250ml chicken stock, grated rind 1 lemon and the juice of half, some grated garlic, sage and cooked till softened. I made a white sauce by heating 900ml milk with a few bay leaves, some peppercorns, an onion cut in half, a carrot broken in half and micro and for about 4 mind or until piping hot. Melted 75g butter and added 75g flour and cooked for a minute or two. Slowly added the milk and whisked until boiled and thickened. I added some frozen peas and sweet corn to bulk out a bit, and then did layers of mince, layer of lasagna pasta with some sauce and sprinkling of cheese, finishing with a layer of pasta and sauce and grated cheese, and it is now baking for 40 mins at 180 fan. The mince tasted yum and can't wait to eat it :D

It was really nice. I had to cook it for another 20 mins, and dropped the temp. I might do it at a lower temp next time but for an hour as it browned a bit too much. Served it with salad and it went down well, esp with my lasagna hating ED! The rest liked it but do prefer a normal lasagna :roll:

Is Manchester House Aiden Byrne's place? He has a restaurant/pub not that far from us, been a couple of times and food has always been lovely. What's his recipe book like?

It is :D

The recipe book is good :D

Quite intricate though, so not an "everyday" cook book.

Well in the oven as we speak is Jamie Oliver's duck lasagne (well my slight variation as I used duck legs rather than a whole duck, and kale instead of spinach). Wondering if it will taste as good as it looks and smells :P

Duck lasagne sounds lovely! I have a gorgeous duck ragu recipe from Rosemary Shrager which I haven't done for a while, I bet that would work in a lasagne. Duck does make a meal much richer and more filling doesn't it.

I left it too late to get to the shop on Sunday so had a fridge/freezer raid. Ended up finding some gammon offcuts from cutting a gammon joint into steaks, a cauliflower and broccoli, made them into a bake with cheese sauce and crispy onions ontop. Was a real Sunday night comfort food dish.

Sunday night we had roast mallard (I hardly ever see them and I love them) and tonight I am making duck grizzly-otto which is the word in our house for risotto made with stock from a roast bird, plus whatever odds and ends are lying around such as peppers, onions, garlic, and maybe something like a frozen prawn or pea or a bit of chorizo :D

Made a lovely ham and veg soup at the weekend. Have been trying to empty the freezer and found another gammon 'end' from when I've sliced a joint into steaks. Boiled it up to make stock and then added some pearl barley, sweated off some onion, garlic, carrots, leeks tipped that in and served with chopped parsley. A proper hearty winter meal.