Lesley

What have you cooked today?

On Monday I used 19 eggs, quite an achievement we ate a few for breakfast and lunch then I made a large tray bake, mini quiches and hard boiled some for sandwiches for the next day. I still had about 30 when I had finished. I love eggs but sometimes I do feel under siege. :roll:

Yesterday we made a biryani with our left over lamb and loads of lovely home grown veg in the sauce element :D

More quiches and more cake today I think.

:shock:

I have to drive for 1.5hrs round trip to buy a FR egg so we don't have them very often :roll: I have very very dim memories of egg gluts :lol: Many people keep a few hens/cock birds but there is no history of selling them at the gate and there are no local markets close by. People are very generous and just give them away but unfortunately only one of our hamlet neighbours is a chook keeper and I don't think they have many spare, although I'd obviously willingly buy them.

Yesterday we had espada (scabbard fish - long and thin like a scabbard, either silver or black in colour with a fearsome mouth full of sharp teeth) with fried banana (traditional, recipe from Madeira), turnip tops (delicious) and saffron rice lightly spiced with cardamom and cinnamon.

Today we are having bacalhau (salt cod, national dish of Portugal) with mashed potato and garlic, and lettuce from the garden.

Your dinner of lamb and early summer vegetables is one of the quintessential things from English cookery I think. Lovely :D Is the rhubarb still about? Rhubarb fool for pud 8)

:D

Lucky you having blackberries, I tasted some in Wales, but they were under-ripe, and here they are too small and seedy to be very nice. Home made jam is just the best, and bramble jelly is one of my absolute favorites. I am imagining the taste right now :lol:

Inspired to try to cook from what we've got growing, last night I made roast veg - a slightly bizarre mix of onion, sweetcorn, courgette, green pepper and tomato :lol: I topped it with a bit of grated cheese and served with some rice. Tasty and cheap and the roast sweetcorn was particularly good. OH was drinking some home-made wine (not made by us, but by a neighbour) and I had a bunch of grapes (ours) for pudding :D

Tonight, for the first time in a very long time, we are having a piece of steak on the barbie. I don't know what cut it is, it looks like sirloin, but the butcher cut it off a bone. I think we'll have a baked potato and green beans with it.

Family coming for afternoon tea this afternoon. Thought it would be nice idea to get them together on a nice summers afternoon :lol::lol:

I have been baking for the last couple of days. Scones to make and then it is sandwiches.

Sadly it will be an indoor do, as we have had lots of rain already and everywhere is too wet.

Chrissie

Well yesterday actually, but eaten today, my first seasonal batch of chocolate courgette muffins, using my lovely juicy yellow courgettes. :D

I took them to work as a post holiday treat and even the most snooty partner made a point of telling me how delicious they were. I have been pestered for weeks now about when the first batch would arrive, it is nice to be appreciated. :D

Today I finished a cake for our granddaughter's 7th Birthday. When I said I would make it I don't think I had realised quite how difficult it would be. I've never done a tiered cake like this before and this one has 3 tiers of chocolate madeira cake, each one with 3 layers in it and a small top layer of just rolled fondant. I've never done model figures before either and got the scale wrong, so when I went to put the princess in the window she wouldn't fit so I had to break her neck off so I could push her in the window :lol:

It is far from perfect, but for a first attempt I'm quite pleased with it. Just need to learn a fair bit more :D

th_20140822_212315_zps9715ad7a.jpg

That is an amazing cake - I could only dream of doing something as difficult and successful 8)

Just made a batch of florentines as a surprise for OH's birthday tomorrow.....trouble is we didn't have much chocolate, I'll just have to make sure he gets the 'proper' ones :lol: Now, where can I hide them :?:

I'm taking advantage of the grotty weather to get on with some baking.... I have tons of produce after some friends (who take all my chicken manure for their organic smallholding) had me for lunch yesterday and sent me back with bags of goodies; I have everything from Cape Gooseberries to fresh spuds. On the go are veggies roasting to make passata, taters which I am making into spiced wedges, and apples which will turn into spiced apple sponge.... Yum! :drool: