Lesley

What have you cooked today?

Flapjacks except when it came to it I didn't have any syrup, doh, so I used maple syrup instead with not much hope for the outcome. Delicious.

Son also tells me they are very very yummy and they are nearly all gone so clearly a winner.

Its great when things turn out better than expected isn't it, a real bonus, even better when its somebody else telling you how nice it is, rather than fishing for compliments (or perhaps that's only me) :roll:

We bought a whole monkfish today for the first time, watching it being dealt with by the fishmonger was an experience :shock:

Had it wrapped in parma ham, with potatoes cooked in olive oil in the oven and some green beans. All a bit posh for a Monday evening. Followed up with the easiest ice cream in the world. To serve 4 people, take 6 over-ripe bananas, mash them up with stick blender, put the resulting goo into an ice-cream maker, freeze for 20-30 mins, eat :D

I got in from work early and finding my kitchen unexpectedly empty I quickly made a chocolate cake in a ring mould.

What can I ice/glaze it with? I would do a ganache, but I have no cream. I do have creme fraiche, dark chocolate, butter, icing sugar (probably?) cocoa powder, any ideas?

I guess I could do a simple sugar, water, cocoa powder and melted butter. Do you think that would work as a glaze?

Homemade pizza and salad last night. Made another experimental ice cream, which I don't recommend - whizzed together peaches, sugar and natural yogurt. Tasted peachy, but a bit thin. Might try again with thicker Greek yogurt, we can't buy proper cream here, just the UHT stuff or creme fraiche.

Tonight it is beef chops on the barbie, with salad and lightly spiced rice (cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf, and some saffron to finish it off).

Pork meat loaf, cottage pie and pork casserole. I am really tired!

Not so much from the cooking, more that I've not been sleeping well recently.

The pork casserole has only just gone in as a result of my vegetarian sister ringing me to ask what she could do with all the pork that my mum has defrosted. "Bring it round I'll sort it out!" :roll:

Nigella's chilli jam and for tea we had our seasonal speciality of loads of veg fried ( peppers, onion, courgette, chard and beetroot leaves, steamed beetroot ) with cooking chorizo plenty of paprika, salt and pepper with steamed new potatoes stirred though. It is so tasty. :drool:

Beef cheek casserole in the slowcooker :drool:

Usually have to do a special order for the cheeks from my local butcher and have to order more than I actually need, although I do freeze some. Sometimes he cant get them for me. Saw them yesterday at the butchery counter at Tesco, not a place I shop at any more but popped in for milk.

I love beef cheeks :D

OH slightly offcolour (nothing gastric) and requesting non-heavy, comfort food, which he can eat with one hand as he is in a sling. Yesterday he had some vaguely spicy chicken with green beans and rice and today he wants rice again, this time with a little bit of chorizo and a prawn for excitement. I shall slip in a green pepper, otherwise I shall feel cheated of a balanced(ish) meal :roll:

Tonight we are having breaded turkey escalopes, first time for 10 years at least. I really don't care for turkey anymore, but OH is on a bland diet and I couldn't get any chicken. Going to have it with home grown ratatouille (peppers, tomatoes, courgette, garlic and onion) and yet more rice :roll:

I did some turkey kebabs recently. I cut the breast into long strips and marinaded it for about an hour or so before cooking as I find it a bit bland. I did approx 400g of Turkey breast in the juice and rind of two lemons, grated garlic (2 cloves I think), salt and pepper and some coriander leaf not seeds and olive oil. It was really tasty so might be worth doing before your coat them, or is that too much for your hubby?

Chocolate beetroot muffins for the first time. I am an old hand at the courgette version but my 4 year old nephew was coming on his birthday on their way back from Cornwall and I felt I had to make him cake. He loves chocolate so I thought this might work. They were ok but would have benefited from frosting of some kind I think. He ate his though, a very polite little boy :lol:

We have had one of those really good roasts that really hits the spot today :D . Too often having gone to the trouble of doing a roast, it is gone in a few minutes and didn't seem to reflect the effort involved. We had a small joint of lamb which was the meaty end of the leg with the bone in, it was very tasty. It was good quality organic lamb. :drool: . We served roasted veg with it which was a mix of carrot, butternut squash, beetroot and onion, then some chard wilted in butter, salt pepper and nutmeg. And roast potatoes. All of the vegetables were homegrown apart from the onion :angel:

Pudding was an apple and blackberry strudel again home grown fruit, made by ED, again it was very good :dance:

Hubby made pizza nearly as well as Dominoes at the weekend and last night we had roast pigeon with Madeira gravy and Welsh onion cake, which is layered sliced potatoes and onions with loads of butter mixed though. Yummy. It was meant to be a special Sunday meal but we decided to go to an event at the literature festival instead. :D

Well yesterday I cooked some scrumped sweet chestnuts over the fire (not very tasty, food metres not miles, but probably karma :oops: ) followed by stir fry chicken with 4 herbs (mint/oregano/basil/lemon thyme) from the garden.

Today we are having a variation on pesto to use up the basil before it goes over. I don't have any hard cheese so I am going to use about the only pleasant cheese in Portugal, a sharp ewes milk crumbly one :D

Pot roast shoulder of mutton, very tasty indeed, we cooked it very low in a cast iron casserole on a bed of veg with some white wine and a tsp of Dijon mustard for nearly 6 hours.

We bought it from the butchers at Gloucester services Farm Shop and Kitchen near junction 12 of the M5. There is one both north and southbound and they have very good real meat and fish. Sounds an odd place to shop but it is so good, worth popping in if you are passing, luckily for us it is only 15 minutes drive away. They are owned by the same company that has Tebay services in Cumbria which we have also visited, but it is a bit of treck to buy Sunday lunch :wink: . They are eco friendly and sell great produce.