Lesley

What have you cooked today?

for anyone with marrow overload, I recommend this curried winter soup:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1339/curried-winter-soup.aspx

which I have just made and had for lunch with a cheese and herb scone. YUM! I added salt and as I had no turmeric didn't put that in. I used mild curry powder which wasn't overpowering. I wonder if you could add bacon/ham too. :D

Yeterday, I made the Hairy Bikers ' Diet' Pies using mince, veg & pizza dough. They are fabulous. How did they ever think of using Pizza dough as pastry? It really works!

Emma.x

Is the book any good? Could do with shifting a few lbs but I love my food and cooking so much it's hard.

Made some cheese sauce this morning ready to tip over some cauliflower and brocolli with the addition of some bacon and shove in the oven

Currently have an experimental choc orange Madeira cake in the oven. To make matters worse and the results all the more unpredictable, I ran out of SR flour so had to make some with P flour and baking powder. Hope I got the quantities correct :pray:

EDIT: looks and smells amazing but as they say proof is in the pudding as to if it tastes any good.

Lemon meringue pie - absolutely delicious from BBC Good food website

It had some orange juice in, which made it less tart and more appealing for the children who scoffed it down...oh and

roast chicken with sausage stuffing, not the girls though....there wouldn't be much meat on them!

Chicken and leek pie. I used lots of shortcuts! I spent a bit of time sautéing leeks, onion, garlic and bay leaves, but I used low fat creme fraiche and ready made puff pastry. The chicken was breast from a whole free range chicken I'd cooked for another meal. It was delicious, if I say so myself!

Funny that I have been searching my books for a chicken and leek pie recipe, where was yours from?

Hi Chickencam

For what its worth, I am today making this chicken pie which has so many 5 star reviews over the years:http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1765/chicken-and-mushroom-puff-pie. I haven't got any mushrooms so putting in celery and carrot instead. I hope my url thing web link works.

Hi Chickencam, sorry for slow response. I just made it up. Sorry.

The original post was about it. My mum taught me to cook. I used to ask how she made something and her response would invariably be "it's called cooking!" It made me laugh and drove me mad in equal measures! But I learnt by watching her and learning to trust my own taste.

Some recipes have to be more accurate of course as they rely on chemistry (cakes and pastries usually)

I have baked two Parkins from the recipe James Martin used on Saturday Kitchen. The first one I did in my usual brownie tin and was lovely, and after realising its pretty similar to Jamaican Ginger cake (the one that sticks like glue to its paper wrapper) I made another in a 2lb loaf tin in a pre-shaped liner. Took 1 1/2 hours to cook at 130 in my fan oven, but is delicious! The ladies I met up for lunch with today with their babies all loved it too. My friends daughter (aged 1 3/4) mmmm'd her way through a whole piece :D