Lesley

What have you cooked today?

I made lemon curd today, new experience for me.

It may be a little early to start planning when we've only had two small eggs from our four girls, but we are planning lemon curd when we have more eggs. How did it go, Plum? Any hints or suggestions, and which recipe did you use? We were looking a a Delia recipe or Nigel Slater's. With Nigel's you end up with spare egg whites, so if we go that route we'll be making meringue too.

Nigella's lemon curd works for me too.

I made a 'what-could-have-been-a-disaster-but-actually-was-very-nice-curry' on Saturday night.

Served 5 hungry people

Seal off 3 quick cook beef frying steaks, take out and leave on a plate to rest

Fry off a couple of onions in veg oil for 10 mins or until softened, then add some grated garlic, kaffir lime leaves (crushed up a bit) about 1/4 tsp chilli flakes (or a chilli finely sliced), cardamon pods, lime rind, finely chopped preserved ginger, then stir in some ground almonds and stir to mix.

Add a stock cube (I used a chicken one, organic of course), and some water until it is desired consistency. Cook for about 5 minutes, then I added some frozen fine beans. Add the lime juice. Check seasoning and you can add extra water or ground almonds if you so wish.

Finely slice the beef steaks and add to the sauce and heat through (the idea is they are still slightly pink in the middle).

Serve with rice (which I cooked plainly but then steam dried in a large colander over the pan covered with a tea towel, with some butter and dried coriander leaf. Make sure you stir in before serving).

Enjoy!

I think I have remembered everything that went it, but as I said, it was rather a haphazard affair. Mildly spicy but very tasty. I will definitely use more ground almonds in my currys.

I love a good curry, a properly made Korma with ground almonds is delish, I hate the ready made and take away ones they are always too sweet and coconutty. Even my nut hating son loves my korma and he know what's in it. :D

Today I had a pot of greek style yoghurt that was 4 days over it's date, so I decided that it looked, tasted and smelt ok but I would only cook with it. I already had tea sorted so I made some rhubarb and almond muffins with it using a 500g tub instead of 15oml each of soured cream and milk. the mix was quite dry, but I thought the rhubarb pieces would give off liquid as they cooked, which they did, and they are very tasty. :D

I have also made 2 loaves of bread and defrosted what I thought was soup for my lunch, but it turned out to be a pot of roasted tomato and basil puree, so I fried some bread in a little olive oil, put a few spoonfuls of the puree onto it and topped with a poached egg, very nice if rather unexpected and unusual lunch :D ED can use the rest of the puree when she makes her pasta lunch for tomorrow.

I love using things up and hate waste, and I am on a clear the freezer drive at them moment.

Today I made some more carrot and apple muffins (made some yesterday for luncheon with the ladies and their babies, topped with a cream cheese frosting with finely grated tangerine rind - not being posh just din't have any oranges :wink: ) and also made some rock cakes. I haven't made these for donkeys years. Just had one, still warm from the oven :drool:

We made rock cakes yesterday evening at half time in the Liverpool v Everton match. DS looked at the muffins that I made earlier in the day and said in a disappointed voice 'I thought that they were rock cakes' OH made him a bet that we could make them, get them in the oven and wash up afterwards during half time, and we pretty much did, it was a team effort and we had hot rock cakes by half way through the second half. It was a treat for DS who has had his top braces fitted to his teeth this afternoon and I knew that he would struggle to eat them for a while. I didn't even know how much he liked them.

Rock cakes - they are the new cupcake :D

Go Team chickencam making them (and clearing up) in 15 mins. They are so nice warm aren't they. I need to have a think on other things to put in them. Sultanas and candied peel is nice, but I'm sure there are other yummy alternatives.

A marbled coffee loaf cake.

It was from a Good Housekeeping cook book, but the instructions were a bit vague. The main cake mix was split and one half left plain and the other half had 3tbsp instant esspresso coffee added, it didn't state whether or not this should be mixed with water first, but I felt that this would have made the mix too wet. The icing recipe said 1tsp instant esspresso coffee mixed with 1tbsp hot water, but the instructions then said mix it with 2tbsp + 1tsp of hot water which I did, I am now wondering if the coffee for the cake should have had the 1 tbsp of water and they have missprinted it. The cake has not much colour difference so very little marbling effect with lumps of instant coffee in it, a bit weird, edible but I won't be rushing to make it again :?

I think most recipes which have coffee in have the coffee mixed with hot water before it is added to the mix, otherwise you get those horrid lumps you mentioned. Maybe try it again, and see if it's okay.

Last nights dinner was another of my 'it might work or it might be a disaster'

Turkey and bacon pie with mashed potato top

Boil some potatoes and mash with an egg (because it got broken, I don't usually add egg to my mash), some butter, splash of cream and grated strong cheddar

Fry some bacon fat in a little oil and remove fat when crisp

Fry 3 turkey steaks to seal both sides. Place on a plate for later.

Add about a tablespoon of butter and fry some diced onion until soft, added a pack of bacon in bigish pieces, then add some quartered mushrooms, couple of cloves of grated garlic, tablespoon or so of flour, cook off the flour for a bit then add 450ml stock (I used chicken but veg would work just as well) stir to prevent lumps, and bring to a boil.

Add the turkey chopped up into 1 and a bit " cubes, simmer gently for 20 minutes. Add some tarragon (I used dried) splash of cream. You should have a thickish sauce. I then added some left over carrots from the previous meal and a bit of cooked cabbage and some raw broccoli broken up into florets and cut into smaller pieces if needed. Check seasoning and add salt or pepper if needed.

I then put the mash on top of the turkey in the pan I cooked it in as it was a cast iron pan, but if you want you can put it in a oven proof dish, sprinkle with a bit of sea salt and grind of pepper. I then grilled it until the top was browned, but I am sure you can put it in the oven for 20 mins or so (my oven was out of use due to having oven cleaner in it over night)

Enjoy!