Lesley

What have you cooked today?

Mutton pasties - we were very sad to send two of our ancient ewes to the abattoir but they do taste superb! We were laughed at when we went to collect the meat ...........we cooked a leg in the same way as you would cook brisket of beef and left it in the liquid until tonight.

Mutton pasties - we were very sad to send two of our ancient ewes to the abattoir but they do taste superb! We were laughed at when we went to collect the meat ...........we cooked a leg in the same way as you would cook brisket of beef and left it in the liquid until tonight.

It's interesting to hear about different attitudes to food. How old were the ewes Lesley?

Maybe if the people at the abattoir tasted the meat they would have a different opinion in future?

They were 9 or 10 years old! - I did think I might take a couple of pasties to the abattoir next week :D

We had them fully butchered so that we could try the meat - if it wasn't really fit for eating we would have used it as dog food but we're not going to share it with the dogs now we know what it tastes like! We also took a 2 year old ewe as mutton and that meat was one of the best we've produced - even tastier than the Dexter beef we had.

I made a moussaka this afternoon, I have fancied one for a while having not even tried it before, there is not much food that has gone untested by me over the years, but this gem had so far eluded me. I tried to grow aubergines earlier in the year but failed, so I bought some beauties a couple of days ago.

It was lovely and far easier to make than lasagna and lighter too with no carbs, we had it with a lovely salad and even DS enjoyed it who doesn't like his food to change. Will definately be making this again I got the recipe from The Good House Keeping cookbook. :drool:

Last night I made a left-over pork stirfry with peppers, spring onions, garlic and mushrooms. Bit of chili, noodle, lemon, and sesame oil and a very quick dinner!

We buy hoggett mostly from the farm at the end of the road - I think thats about 18 months old? I find it the perfect flavour for my taste, stronger than lamb but not quite so strong as mutton.

I have a friend who calls moussaka 'lasagne with a mattress on top' :lol: (I know moussaka doesn't have pasta in it, and lasagne doesn't usually have aubergine in it so technically thats a rubbish description!)

Fresh pea and ham soup, it is an old 17th century recipe aparently and was very tasty.

It had 450g peas cooked in 1.5l ham stock with an onion and 2 garlic cloves for 20 minutes, while this is cooking you sweat 40g white cabbage a celery stick, 50g spinach, half a punnet of mustard and cress (not sure how 17th cent this is :lol: ) large handful of chopped parsley couple of dessert spoons of chopped fresh mint until soft.

Liquidise the peas and stock then add cooked veg to it and season with a pinch of ground mace and plenty of pepper.

I added some jelly from the gammon joint which we had at the weekend to the stock too very tasty :D must be pretty nutritious too. :angel:

A busy baking morning here.

Two fruit tea loafs, a chocolate sponge sandwich cake, a batch of flapjacks that apparently improve with keeping, no such luck in this house they are eaten within hours. thirty custard cream biscuits. I decided not to sandwich them together with butter cream icing this time. Instead I put a chocolate button on each biscuit before baking. They are delicious, and I had some chocolate buttons left over, yum, yum :D

Involtini. Mmmmmeltingly soft aubergine slices wrapped around a tasty cheese stuffing. It's a Nigella recipe from "Feast". This is the 3rd time I've made them so I didn't get the book out. I kept remembering things I'd forgotten to add to the cheese stuffing. I remembered the garlic and lemon before rolling the aubergine up, but forgot the parsley and mint. I didn't have fresh parsley anyway, I sprinkled dried mint and parsley over the rolls before pouring the tomato sauce over. It worked really well.

Very roughly the recipe is to slice a large aubergine (or 2) into 5mm slices. Brush them with oil, I use a spray, aubergines soak up oil like a sponge, then fry them on a griddle a few at a time, I use a George Foreman type grill. The aubergines can be cooked in advance and put to one side. The cheese stuffing is made from Feta, mozzarella, parmesan, pine nuts, soaked raisins, lemon rind, fresh parsley, dried mint, garlic, breadcrumbs, an egg, some olive oil. Mix it all together well. Put a spoonful of the mixture onto a slice of aubergine and roll up. My one large aubergine made about 15 rolls. Put in a non metallic dish, cover with passata (I use a tin of tomatoes simmered down with some sugar) top with slices of mozzarella, bake in the oven at gas mark 5 ish for approximately half an hour.