Lesley

What have you cooked today?

We have had a birthday celebration for my baby Ruby who is 4 today (she's one of my two Bassett Hounds :) )

So I cooked:

Pear, Parma ham and pecorino salad with home made garlic bread.

Spaghetti bolognese.

Red velvet cake with American frosting.

Ruby and her best friend Millie (my other Bassett) had spaghetti bolognese and then a slice of cake as a birthday treat :D

I made a sort of plain cheesecake (crushed ginger biscuits for the base and some vanilla in the topping) :drool:. The ones in the shops are always have fruit on :vom: and the plain New York cheesecakes seem rubbery.

Mine was absolutely delicious (if I do say so myself). OH doesn't do puds tho, so I will have to eat it all myself :dance::anxious:

My hubby made a lovely large steak and kidney pudding in the Lakeland metal basin with lid that is in their sale at the moment. It comes with the recipe and was yummy. I can see why the product gets such mixed reviews because we need our huge deep stock pot to fit it into. I have used it a couple of times for family sized steamed puds, saves all the faff with greaseproof paper, tin foil and string. :D

veg rosti....potatatoes , carrotts and all important beetroot....grated, mixed and seasoned with some chinese five spice, served with pitta and dipping sauces of sweet chilli, mayo and bajan pepper sauce...aswell as a sunday glass of sparkly

...its importand to squeeze the juice out of the beetroot...so apolagies for the kitchen looking a bit sweeny todd

There are lots of recipes if you Google.....

I tried one at the cafe at Deddington Farmers' Market last summer and realised the flavour was the same as the Wacky Cake I make (recipe on here somewhere) so I made my 'Guiness' Cake with that recipe as it was lighter sponge than the one I tried and added the cream cheese topping.

For the first time I've pickled some eggs :shock: looking at the jar I'm not sure if my hubby or ES will actually eat them as the recipe called for cinnamon sticks in it and it looks like there are lots of dusty bits in the vinegar :vom:

We'll see how they turn out once they've matured for a bit.

Just got a spag bol on the go for dinner. :roll: