WitchHazel

Freecycle now Freegle

Our local Freecycle group is no longer part of Freecycle, it is now part of an independant group in the UK called Freegle.

Will this be happening to your local groups too?

Here's a copy of the admin post in our latest Freecycle update:

We now recycle with Freegle!

You will notice that the name of our group has changed. This also means that our web and email addresses have changed as well.

They are now:

Web: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/windsor-maidenhead-freegle

Email: windsor-maidenhead-freegle@yahoogroups.com

Emails from the group will start [wm-freegle] which is a bit shorter so won't take up so much space in your subject line.

WHAT HAS CHANGED FOR YOU?

-------------------------

Well in short, nothing much. The home page looks a bit different, and the web and email addresses are new - which you can see at the top of this message. But other than that - all the rules are the same, all your moderators are the same, and our group is still GRASS ROOTS and LOCAL.

The core mission or function of this recycling/reuse group has not and

will not change. However we should be able to add some new features in the coming weeks to help members.

We are still dedicated to keeping things out of the landfill. And the same moderation team is still here working away in the background helping to keep the group running smoothly.

The main reason for this change is simple. While Freecycle is a GREAT idea, all our UK groups were basically forced to work under a system managed from America. Leaders of Freecycle in the UK spent more than two years talking with the main Freecycle Network trying to get the freedom to run things in a way more suited to this country and our its laws. Nothing changed.

In July the four leading members of our National UK Freecycle team resigned. Moderators around the country then formed an Independent Association of Freecycle Moderators and again tried talks with The Freecycle Network. But again to no avail.

Since then an increasing number of Freecycle volunteers have been SUMMARILY DISMISSED by Freecycle management in the USA. This includes the founder and moderators of several other local groups. But even more importantly, this includes the former Director of Freecycle UK. This director led Freecycle UK for the last four years during which it grew to over 500 groups and 2 million members.

So we have come to the difficult decision to go our own way.

We make this decision with a heavy heart. Speaking personally as the group founder, I have been a Freecycle volunteer since August 2004 and all I want is to help this group keep decent stuff out of landfill. Rest assured, every attempt has been made to improve the situation with the Freecycle Network leaders in America. However, it has became clear there is no alternative then to join other groups around the country that are also making this move today.

We very much apologise for the inconveniences which this change will cause. We will be here in the meantime to help members with the transition. Please feel free to email your questions and concerns to the email address at the bottom of this message.

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

-----------------

The Independent Association of Freecycle Moderators, a group consisting of over 450 Freecycle volunteers across the United Kingdom, has spent the last four days planning and preparing for this unfortunate move. At the top of this discussion was the need to choose a name for this new organisation.

Dozens of proposals and discussions were made. Names were considered, trademarks & copyrights researched. And we discovered exactly how hard it is to name something these days.

Over the past few days we have had a first poll to narrow the name list down and then a second to choose from the lot, that name being Freegle.

Freegle means a couple of things. First, the name is a combination of the words Free and Google. This refers to how our group is like Google for finding free stuff. Second, the name can be broken up into the phrase "Free Goods Local & Easily", which we feel is representative of how a group like this operates.

The tagline for the Freegle organisation may also be "Freegle - Waste Not Want Not". And we hope that you all enjoy Freegling as we continue to save the environment one item at a time.

IN CONCLUSION

-------------

You may see some media coverage on this matter in the coming days. Dozens of groups ranging in size from 300 to 25,000 members have already made the decision to move into this new organisation.

And at least one major online news site has already ran a story on the events transpiring. If you would like to learn more about the situation at hand within Freecycle UK, please follow this link:

http://bit.ly/090910-guardian-ukfc-story

Again, we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and look forward to moving forward with Freegle. Big days are ahead for the UK recycling/reuse community and we are very excited about things to come.

Thank you,

Rachel

Founder Windsor and Maidenhead Freecycle now Freegle

windsor-maidenhead-freegle-owner@yahoogroups.com

I've just asked to unsubscribe fom Freegle because I'm fed up with all the shenanigans, (and ensuing emails) certainly here in Leicester. First of all we had a breakaway group called Realcycle set up by one of the Freecycle "owners" who then took it upon himself to take the membership list from Freecycle, now the official Freecycle is apparently no more, and yet anotherbreakaway group, i.e. Fregle has formed. I don't know what the issues with Freecycle USA are but I do object to people using my data for their new groups without my consent. :evil: It's a shame that such a good and green idea should dissolve into petty squabbling. I might resubscribe to one or other when all the hoo ha has died down!

I wonder if Freecycle in the US will challenge the group moderators' right to move everyone over?

They can't :) As long as the name 'Freecyle' isn't used moderators can change and

move their group wherever they want. I am a Freecycle moderator, not an owner

though and our group is still with Freecycle, although for how long I've no idea.

I am glad some of the groups have made the move, the US owner is power crazy and

a real pain to try and work with.

Tessa

I have also asked to unsubscribe from Freecycle after a bad experience :( Such a pity as the principle is fantastic but too many unprincipled people around.Ax

I wonder how many of you are aware that the new Freegle groups that have been opened up have stolen their groups together with members from the Freecycle network. Have some people no morals!!!! So instead of praising the Freegle groups, perhaps have a look at the bigger picture and see that it is Freegle who are unprincipled.

I've just asked to unsubscribe fom Freegle because I'm fed up with all the shenanigans, (and ensuing emails) certainly here in Leicester. First of all we had a breakaway group called Realcycle set up by one of the Freecycle "owners" who then took it upon himself to take the membership list from Freecycle, now the official Freecycle is apparently no more, and yet anotherbreakaway group, i.e. Fregle has formed. I don't know what the issues with Freecycle USA are but I do object to people using my data for their new groups without my consent. :evil: It's a shame that such a good and green idea should dissolve into petty squabbling. I might resubscribe to one or other when all the hoo ha has died down!

I would resubscribe to Leicester Freecycle and then at least you won't be using a Freegle group where all original members were stolen from the Freecycle groups.

I would resubscribe to Leicester Freecycle and then at least you won't be using a Freegle group where all original members were stolen from the Freecycle groups.

*ahem* 'allegedly'

I think that as owners of the group, they are entitled to change the name if they see fit. If anyone isn't happy about that, then they can easily choose to unsubscribe. As they 'own' the group, nothing has been 'stolen'.

'tis a free world after all.

Personally, I think it's a change for the good. :D provided they continue to offer the same service, I shall stay with my group.

I would like a better explanation than has been given though. What were the points of difference that caused them to break away ? Working for an American company I am well aware not everything translates well to British custom and culture but I do think it's a great shame to break up into different groups for different countries.

(I would email the moderators of my local group but they never answer emails so it would be pointless :(

I would like a better explanation than has been given though. What were the points of difference that caused them to break away ? Working for an American company I am well aware not everything translates well to British custom and culture but I do think it's a great shame to break up into different groups for different countries.

Ok I'll have a go at explaining the move. The US founder of Freecycle wants the whole kit and kaboodle moved from Yahoo groups to an independant format called My Freecyle, where he, the founder can start making money from ads, there are no ads on Yahoo, so "Ooops, word censored!"ody makes any money. Understandably the owners of the Freecycle groups are not happy about being forced to move their groups, and one by one the founder has been picking them off and putting in new owners which move the group to My Freecycle.

After literally thousands of e.mails a very large number of owners decided to jump ship and set up their own independant groups still on Yahoo and call it Freegle.

It's complicated, but I think they did the right thing......corporate greed that's what it's all about. :twisted:

Tessa

(I would email the moderators of my local group but they never answer emails so it would be pointless :(

I agree with you Patricia. Yes we would all like an explanation as I said before the groups and members have been stolen from Freecycle, originally the groups were set up in Freecycles name so they weren't Freegle's to change were they? Not rocket science is it quite simple to understand!

Why join the forum today to just post this? How odd!

What's odd about putting the record straight for people who don't understand what's happened?

I agree with you Patricia. Yes we would all like an explanation as I said before the groups and members have been stolen from Freecycle, originally the groups were set up in Freecycles name so they weren't Freegle's to change were they? Not rocket science is it quite simple to understand!

I have to correct you, Freegle did not steal groups from Freecycle. Freegle did not exist as an entity until the Freecycle owners decided to move and they chose the name Freegle to use instead of Freecycle. No one has stolen anything, the owners have every right to change the name of their groups. "Ooops, word censored!"ody seems to mind much what the groups are called as long as they go on keeping stuff out of landfill.

Tessa

What's odd about putting the record straight for people who don't understand what's happened?

What's odd is that it smacks of desperation.

I had no knowledge of the split or change of name, or anything, even though I have used Freecycle in the past. I don't know the details, but the tone of your posting makes me less than sympathetic towards your view, and, yes, I do suspect your motives, as you don't sound exactly unbiased.

Thanks Tessa, that makes it clearer.

Eagle, I find it odd this is the only subject you've ever posted on. We are a friendly group of people most of whom keep chickens who chat about other things in a supportive respectful environment.

We're not the place to fight a freecycle vs freegle campaign.

I wanted an explanation and now I have one I'm happy. I do not feel my details have been 'stolen' and I don't want my question hijacked and made to look as if I support your view on freecycle vs freegle because I don't.

What's odd is that it smacks of desperation.

I had no knowledge of the split or change of name, or anything, even though I have used Freecycle in the past. I don't know the details, but the tone of your posting makes me less than sympathetic towards your view, and, yes, I do suspect your motives, as you don't sound exactly unbiased.

Oh and people who take over another group and rename it are unbiased, perhaps you need to get your facts right before quoting. I'm not asking you to be sympathetic I'm advising people of the truth as to what happened, is that ok with you?

No aggressive posts, please.

As Patricia has so elegantly put it, we're a friendly group of people who chat about things - not always just about chickens - but the words 'respectful' and 'supportive' are key to discussion on here.

It's fine to discuss the topic, and whether Freegle will go forward in the same way as Freecycle, but let's not get into 'who stole what from whom' debates. This isn't the forum for that.

Think it's a real shame this has happened to freecycle - it risks detracting from all the good things it does. Our Wirral group has swapped over too. Clearly a lot has gone on behind the scenes and I just hope that however it is achieved, the groups still keep stuff out of landfill. Like on here there are a lot of hardworking, unpaid mods who do their best, somethimes under difficult circumstances.