Guest chookiehen

Edinburgh Get Together.

Which date would be better for you?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which date would be better for you?

• First Saturday in March
    • First Saturday in April

There is a bus service from Edinburgh Airport to the city centre.

I do agree with you Dan about such short flights - but I still might do it as otherwise I can't go. I might decide not to go anyway.

Please tell me about sleeper trains - could I do it that way?

AND, I'm glad you have had a good day. :D OH is out now at his works do. I hope he's enjoying himself! :wink:

:lol: Poor Dan, you made a really serious point, yet I've been laughing so much at your postings. :lol:

I've been struggling with feeling very anti "unnecessary" & domestic flights, yet not wantiong to be a complete party pooper on this wonderful topic. Obviously after a good party the inhibitions drop, enabling you to tell it how it is (albeit in hard to read typos! :lol: )

Sometimes our forum here sounds very green & ethical, the next minute we're supporting airport expansions :twisted: (this is a local issue here, so on my mind) and the environmental damage caused by aircraft. :twisted:

It's not easy being green is it? Cheap, fast flights are so tempting, and sometimes, as Ginette says, make the difference between going & not going.

When I hesitated to post this before, I didn't because I decided that an Omlet meet was an extremely necessary journey. I would rather see a drop in business travel before visiting friends travel! I'm sure many business trips could be replaced by conference telephone calls, internet etc.

We still travel around quite a bit, and are no where near being as green as we could be, we make some steps in the right direction, then go against it other times.

Anyway, I haven't had a drink, and don't want to derail this thread, just wanted to say I appreciated Dan's point.

So, who's going?

Dan, you are absolutely right about this I would add that the government contributes to this by subsidising flights. Otherwise, how on earth can a flight be cheaper than a train? That really doesn't make sense at all. And if flights were more expensive, people would be less tempted to use them.

Sheila, I also agree with what you're saying. It's not easy being green (HaHa) especially when there is so much tempting us not to be. As we've said before, it works best as a gradual process where we 'green up' one area of our habits and then move on to another. No-one can take it all on board in one go. There is far too much to learn, for a start!

But I also believe that we should be able to air our views on a forum, however strong they are. That is not the same as criticising how other people live. Dan didn't say I wouldn't be welcome in Edinburgh if I came by plane, he just said he wouldn't travel that way himself because of the damage to the environment. I am inspired by people who are passionate about their principles. They don't need to lobby me and try to persuade me to change, they set a good example just by the way they lead their lives and that makes me think about my own circumstance. So if we can't air strong views, we are not likely to interest others in what we care about.

Sorry, I think that sounds as if I'm criticising somebody and I'm not. I suppose I'm just saying 'Don't hold back on your views whatever they are'. We're all normal people and there is bound to be someone here who thinks the same way, whatever way that is. Different opinions make things interesting!

:idea::idea:

Ginette! I have just had a thought whilst doing the washing up. I saw a programme last year about a man who lived his life to be totally carbon neutral; he could still have a holiday by jet airliner but on return he would plant half a dozen trees in his garden.

I don't know how you quantify the pollution to tree ratio (I'm guessing there must be websites about this), but maybe you could use a domestic flight but plant a cherry tree or an apple tree in your garden when you return (and then you would have the fruit to look forward too)! :D

Just a thought but it might be worth considering! :D

Good idea! I think one of the flights sites I looked at actually brought up a link to a company which would do it for you. That's good isn't it?

Yes! IF I fly to Edinburgh, I will definitely do that! Thank you! :D:D

:idea::idea:

Ginette! I have just had a thought whilst doing the washing up. I saw a programme last year about a man who lived his life to be totally carbon neutral; he could still have a holiday by jet airliner but on return he would plant half a dozen trees in his garden.

I don't know how you quantify the pollution to tree ratio (I'm guessing there must be websites about this), but maybe you could use a domestic flight but plant a cherry tree or an apple tree in your garden when you return (and then you would have the fruit to look forward too)! :D

Just a thought but it might be worth considering! :D

There are actually websites where you can dontate to planting trees when you fly - just in case your garden isnt big enough for that trip to the Caribean :wink:

These are just some of them :D

http://www.treeflights.com/

http://www.co2balance.com/pages.php?pageid=108

http://www.carbontrust.co.uk/default.ct