chick wiggle

My new babies ***all grown up***

They have had their treats alongside eachother since the first day as they are only seperated by wire so can see each other all the time. I was just a bit stunned by the viciousness of Blossoms attack, although no blood was drawn.

The divide and conguer way is definately the way forward I think. Tomorro I will let the babies into the run and take Blossom out as soon as she shows any aggression.

The only problem is i will have to put her into the babies section and so they will not be able to go back into their own run!

I like 'chicken chess/juggling' :lol: Maybe, if I put Blossom in the babies run with them, then she will be outnumbered, what do ya think?

I may have to make another section just for her :wall:

Arrrggggghhhhhh :wall::wall:

Oh Im waffling now :doh::lol:

I'm sure it will become clear to you.

i put my oldest calmest girl in with the babes first. The other girls were going mental along the fence line but couldn't get in. I gradually added them as they proved they could behave. Any bad behaviour and they went in the sin bin.

eventually it ended up with only the two boss girls left on their own on the other side of the fence and everyone else on the other :lol: . They really hated that :evil: , and I think they behaved in the end just so they could join in with everyone else :wink: .

Thanks Mostin, I have mixed the bigger girls with the babies occasionally. Dora, who is TOP chuck, was absolutely fine, its almost as is she has nothing to prove as everyone knows she is the boss. Blossom on the other hand was very much bottom of the original 5 and so when we introduced the new 6 she bacame very aggresive towards them, like she was no way gonna go any lower in the pecking order. Now, it seems she may be going the same way with the babies.

Im going to keep mixing and if Blossom becomes a problem then she will be exiled or bumper bits will be introduced!

Have you tried anti pecking spray? would that be any good do you think?

Thanks everyone, will keep you updated.

:D

The legend of Cat Ballou, Cat Baloooooooouuuuuuu oooo ooooh! Think it was Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye.

They are lovely pics in the garden. Don't mind the wall - thinking more on the lines of Irish coffee or Pirate coffee (rum instead AKA Carribbean coffee). A couple of those and I'd be on the grass anyway! :lol:

When it stops raining here I think we had better change the netting around because the Eggy Babes are wanting OUT but it's too soon - thinking at the same time Sioux turns into a Banshee! Like Blossom and Snowdrop - and I am a bit worried about Kitty being on the receiving end. Eggy told me that Mini will stand up for her though.

Yep, Angel does know how to look good in pics I have to agree. :D

Glad you are doing so well CW. I've never yet had to resort to anti peck spray or bumber bits *crosses fingers madly and knows that she's now jinxed herself*, I find a water pistol works for me.

I only let the problem chook near the newbies when I am there. As soon as she gets that look in her eye. You know the one I mean, when she's turned into Satan and she's just about to lunged, spray her right in the face with water. It snaps her out of that aggressive mindset. You have to be quick. I am like John Wayne now :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: .

At first it took me until I heard the squawks or I saw the lunge to spray, but it works much better if you can get her just before and stop her building up into that aggressive mode.

Mine used to walk off, have a grumble and a sulk, then think I wasn't watching and try again :roll: , eventually, she gives in. You just have to be prepared to outlast a chickens deviousness :D .

This is just my method, it works for me, everyone finds there own path :D .

Good luck, and a Happy New Year to You, your family and all your furred and feathered friends :D

Edited to say, I was doing all this in the summer when it was warm, it's very cold now, so beware of wet and damp chooks in this cold and freezing weather.

WELL............... I just didnt know wether to slap or kiss my OH this morning. He got up to let the chucks out so I could have a lie in (good I know). After getting up and having a leisurely coffee, I went down to see the chucks. It was nearly 3 hours after OH had let them out. I was so shocked to see the babies in the big girls run and all 16 girls just scratting about calmly and mingling together :shock:

OH had inadvertantly left the dividing gate open, only by 4 or 5 inches but enough for the babies to get out!

Well, they had all been together for a good 3 hours by this time and no sign of feathers or blood anywhere so I thought id just leave them to it. i have obviously now spent practically all day in the run watching them and they all seem fine. There is the occasional 'know your place' peck but nothing vicious. So far so good, will be keeping an eye on them though just in case. But, it seems they have decided for themselves that enough is enough and have now become 1 flock :clap:

We also put the babies eglu on the new table from Ikea ( thanks beckboy!) and they seem to like that too.

So, all is well on Fosters Farmette once again ! :dance:

Just have to tell you. Last night after the accidental 'mixing' they also had the 'eglu on new higher table' to contend with and needed a little 'help' finding their way to bed. Tonight I stayed in the run with them again and watched as 1 by 1 they all found their way up the new extra long ramp to bed. Aww it was just so cute :D

Well, now the babies are mixing with the big girls I thought i would pop on some more pictures :D

First, a couple of posey ones of Noodle and Baby

DSCF0005-1.jpg

DSCF0007-1.jpg

And Sweetpea warming her feet in the Porridge!!!

013.jpg

Pickle decides enough is enough and nudges sweetpea out of her supper!

DSCF0002-2.jpg

The big girls hanging around under the table waiting for dropped morsels

DSCF0020.jpg

And, finally.....

My most favourite little chicken......

playing in the snow.......

DSCF0004.jpg

Hee hee, sorry, just couldnt resist :lol: