CluckyBucks

Theres a Rat under my eglu what am i gonna do? *UPDATE*

Morning all :)

Woke up this morning to let the girls out, and under the eglu leading into the run is a rat sized hole. Under closer inspection, its tried to dig various holes into the run.

So what i have done is put a large rock infront of said hole, will this work??

Anything else i can do? and should i be worried?

Any suggestions welcome :)

Thankyou :)

xx !eggwhite! xx

Edited by Guest

I thought I'd got rid of mine as I'd seen no activity for about four months then about a week ago I spotted two INSIDE the run after I'd shut the girls up. It's a Flytsofancy run and coop and they were getting in through the small gap in the netting where the pop-hole is closed.

I've closed this up and put a baited flower pot on its side at the entrance of a run a I found.

The bait was taken for four days then nothing so I presume they've gone off to bleed to death somewhere.

I've also got hubby to move our three compost bins onto a mesh floor.

I saw one rat disappear into our wood shed but there's no way I can deal with that as it's full of logs so I'm hoping the poison did for him.

HORRIBLE things :vom:

We had a problem the other week with an Eglu on the lawn.

There was rat poo in the droppings tray & the Aubiose was all scuffled about - I changed it every day to moniter it.

Anyhow,as there were no signs of burrowing or digging,I suspect it was squeezing in through the little gap above the poo tray :shock:

My biggest worry would be that, if a fox came along and saw the rat hole, it would simply start digging to make that hole larger and eventually (over the course of the night) dig its way into the run.

In my view, killing the rat won't work - yes, you will get rid of that particular rat, but there are plenty of others to take its place. The only thing that will get rid of rats is to remove the reason they are coming in the first place. I suggest removing food from the run overnight (possibly even the water), along with any treats the girls have not eaten. The rats will therefore have no reason to dig into the run, as there is nothing there for them.

Another thing that might work is to place some gravel boards or similar lengths of wood down the length of the run, dug in. Then, when the rat tries to dig under the run, it will hit the wood - will slow it down (not defeat it entirely). What will probably happen then is the rat will simply dig underneath the house itself.

Personally, I think some form of wire mesh covering the floor of the run and extending under the house is the best option - also prevents foxes digging into the run if you get a strong enough mesh.

Peter

PS - it's not just rats that will dig in - we had a huge problem with a squirrel doing exactly the same thing, only with a bigger hole.

P PS - what's the difference between a squirrel and a rat? Good PR...

I have had this problem twice when the eglu was on grass, but only if it was left in the same place for a week - moving every 4-5 days was fine. I have also stood the actual eglu on the patio with just the run over the grass and that was also no issue. Most of the time my Cube & Eglu are on patio areas and they just freerange on the grass - again no rat problems like this.

Tracy

I agree with everything that has been said. They are indeed nasty little critters. We had them when I used to leave food in the garden all the time. They dug under the shed so I put broken class in the hole and back filled it as advised by my father -in- law who is a wise old man. We never saw them again. I also changed the way I fed the chooks. They are fed three times a day and all excess is removed when they are done. I know that is not possible for everyone to do, but it is the food they are after. Hope you manage to get rid of them. :pray:

I have had this problem twice when the eglu was on grass, but only if it was left in the same place for a week - moving every 4-5 days was fine. I have also stood the actual eglu on the patio with just the run over the grass and that was also no issue. Most of the time my Cube & Eglu are on patio areas and they just freerange on the grass - again no rat problems like this.

Tracy

We do something similar - in that we put four paving slabs in a square, and sit the eglu on that, and then the run goes out onto soil (it used to be grass once upon a time...!)

This stopped the rat getting into the run. Also we then used poison to get rid of the nest that was either in the compost heap, or under next doors shed - or both!!

Year later and we are still rat free - but I do keep an eye open. You just know they are never far away!

It is pretty difficult to completely remove all food sources for rats because they're such disgusting creatures. Taking the food in at night and making sure all spillages are cleared up is a no-brainer, but if you feed the wild birds, you need to do the same with their food. If you have a compost heap, they'll be munching away in there and iff all else fails, they'll happily feast on dog poo :vom: so dispose of that promptly too.

They also procreate incredibly quickly, which is one of the reasons they're so successful. If you don't take action to control them as soon as you discover then, you WILL be dealing with a huge problem before long. Control has to be ongoing because you'll get rid of them for a while, but you can guarantee that more will find your rat restaurant before long......

Right, the sock idea failed epically. So did the rock idea, it just pushed past it.

SO TONIGHT!!!!

I shall set my rat trap and catch the little monster :twisted:

I couldnt harm a fly, but because this beast is jeopardising my chickens safety, i have no other choice.

I feel like elmer fudd :) but im catching wats :)

xx !eggwhite! xx

I hope he is not as clever as our rats.

We had four traps out and never caught a thing but the poison seems to have done the trick.

Kate Humble complained about rats around her chicken coop on Autumn Watch and that daft Chris Packham pulled that even dafter face of his and said we should learn to live with them :!:

OMG really :!: Silly man :roll::roll:

We've been free of rats until the weekend when OH found a big tunnel in the compost heap. Bearing in mind they have been around long before the girls lived here, I am relatively happy that they waited a year and a half to get back to us again (just before the girls arrived a neighbour had to get them sorted as they were living happily under her decking). So we have put poison in the tunnels - well it's the sort that expands and totally unpleasant and I don't like doing it - but a lot has already disappeared. We added more on Tuesday - don't want them and give people a reason to have a go at us because we don't have conventional pets.