sparkysmum

New car recommendations please

My much loved but ancient (17yr old+) Volvo Estate has finally bit the dust. :( We could keep it going a while longer but the repair bills are becoming stratospheric :( So we're probably going for a dinky new one. Trouble is we know absolutely nothing about cars except that we are interested in the s"Ooops, word censored!"page scheme. Can anyone in omletville recommend a new car which is cheap to run, cheap to buy and seats 5 people :?: Thanks A&H

I have a Mitsubishi CZC which is fabulous (but will only seat two + two people with no legs in the back :lol: ) ... but have you thought of a Mitsi Colt? Good value and a lovely car to drive ... and just a little bit unusual too :wink:

If that's not big enough... Honda Civic? Volvo C30 (very gorgeous!)? My sister has a Nissan Quashqai and loves it to bits...

Enjoy car shopping!

Paula

Thanks for such speedy replies :) I had a look at a Panda today and loved it until the salesman pointed out that they are only 4 seaters :( My lads are almost 16 and 15 and Hazie nearly 12, so I don't think I could squeeze them in :( Have seen the Kia suggested elsewhere, is the Rio big enough for strapping teenage boys :?:

We bought a Ford Focus earlier this year and it's fab despite the fact Clarkson says it's more common than Wayne Rooneys sister :roll: the reason for that comment as its such a damn good car. :D

I can do approx 370 miles on a full tank and is a very comfy drive, the seats fold flat and there is a good sized boot.

Hope that helps! 8)

My Vauxhall Zafira will seat 7 so larger than you're looking for but they are very good value as 3 year old used and often low mileage. We tend to run a car until the garage tells us it's beyond hope as we're just not sufficiently interested in them so got this as a good value practical car that just works.

Edited to add - just noticed you said new - oops wasn't listening :oops:

Thanks for such speedy replies :) I had a look at a Panda today and loved it until the salesman pointed out that they are only 4 seaters :( My lads are almost 16 and 15 and Hazie nearly 12, so I don't think I could squeeze them in :( Have seen the Kia suggested elsewhere, is the Rio big enough for strapping teenage boys :?:

Thats a shame - did you ask if a middle belt could be custom fit?

My girls are 14 & 16, & all legs,the pair of them :roll: , but they fit into Marge very comfortably :D

Another vote for the Focus here, although to be fair I don't often have five people in it - it is very economical, the back seat has a proper cross-over belt (I will not buy a car that only has a lap belt :evil: ) and it handles beautifully, a nice firm drive and very comfortable.

I've only got a basic Focus but I'm sure there are slightly bigger more luxurious models.

The slope of the roof makes so much difference on the back seat so look for a car that is high and wide at that point, the Focus s quite a good bet from that point of view, they took a lot of design hints from the new Mondeo which is wonderfully wide and luxurious so thats good

I personally dont like the drive in a Focus or the interior but if space is an issue then they are worth a look

She is literally like the tardis 8)

MIL bought us a new Nissan Note back in September - it's also like a tardis. Looks teeny from the outside but loads of headroom and legroom, lots of storage compartments, biggish boot (we can fit a german shepherd in it! :lol: ) easy on the fuel and reasonably cheap to tax, if you get the diesel it's just £35 a year tax. Came out with good results in the whatcar.com reviews.

Whatcar.com do have some decent reviews on all cars so check out their website. :wink:

My much loved but ancient (17yr old+) Volvo Estate has finally bit the dust. :( We could keep it going a while longer but the repair bills are becoming stratospheric :( So we're probably going for a dinky new one. Trouble is we know absolutely nothing about cars except that we are interested in the s"Ooops, word censored!"page scheme. Can anyone in omletville recommend a new car which is cheap to run, cheap to buy and seats 5 people :?: Thanks A&H

Avensis Toyota is good (estate version) v reliable and very economical

VW passats again reliable and economical

Both were diesels

My sister has a honda with 3 seats in the front too..thats very spacey not sure which one it is

good luck indie(we are looking at s"Ooops, word censored!"page too)

I have a little citroen diesel C3 and love it but a C4 would be better sized for 5..I pay £46 to fill it up with Diesel and it does 600 miles to the tank ..brilliant

indie :)

I love my Citreon C3, it's lilac with purple leather seats :D it drives really well at steady speeds though isn't so great over 60 mph but then I don't tend to drive that fast.

OH has a Ford focus saloon which he loves driving and I find it really comfy and spacious as a passenger. He is ordering a new one in the new year - though they don't do the saloon model anymore. I don't like driving the Focus though - it feels like a tank after my C3 :)

C3 car tax £35 a year and I was told by Citroen they make Ford Gear boxes?? thats what I was told anyway 3 years ago?

Again love my C3 best car I have ever had 1.4 engine am thinking of getting another one

good luck indie :)

We've had Toyotas for years. Looking for a new car recently we looked all around, and it seems that Toyotas are now being built down to a price rather than up to a quality standard. Lots of corners cut, and we didn't go with them.

Our specifications were different, and we have ordered a VW Golf. Now I know that isn't particularly roomy (we have the Land Rover for roomy and off road, and large trailers etc), but I was impressed with the VW quality compared with other makes we looked at. I wasn't impressed with the first VW dealer we went into, but shopping around we found another dealer who were helpful and willing to deal.

I would look at the VW's, or anything with a VW engine such as a Skoda.

Hello :!::!: Thank you for all your replies. We have considered everything but at the end of the day our budget is miniscule & so have decided to go for a Kia. I have to say our teenage boys are unimpressed :!: Jeremy Clarkson has such a lot to answer for :!: We will probably order it in the Christmas holidays. Very :( at the demise of our Volvo. Ax